New Build - NVidia or ATI??????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcangelorr

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Doing a complete new build. I've already picked the Core i5-2500K as my processor because I want this rig to be badass and overclockable.

As far as the graphics, by budget is somewhere around $500. What should I do - high end single, crossfire or SLI, ATI or NVidia?

What say you?! Thanks for your responses.

Solution
The GTX 580's have come down in price. Even though there might be more performance (and expense) from a dual card setup, a single GTX 580 will be more stable and serve all your gaming needs with plenty of performance to spare. With the GTX 580, there are also some nice custom models out that provide even more performance and extra overclockability to close the performance gap with dual card setups. There is nothing a single GTX 580 can't do that would make a dual card setup a necessity.

For me, Nvidia is the only way to go for great drivers and PhysX, since I actually play PhysX games, and I like having the option available for the future, just in case. The cooling, noise levels, and performance of the GTX 500 series has been...

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
The GTX 580's have come down in price. Even though there might be more performance (and expense) from a dual card setup, a single GTX 580 will be more stable and serve all your gaming needs with plenty of performance to spare. With the GTX 580, there are also some nice custom models out that provide even more performance and extra overclockability to close the performance gap with dual card setups. There is nothing a single GTX 580 can't do that would make a dual card setup a necessity.

For me, Nvidia is the only way to go for great drivers and PhysX, since I actually play PhysX games, and I like having the option available for the future, just in case. The cooling, noise levels, and performance of the GTX 500 series has been excellent.

This Galaxy GTX 580 comes with nice custom cooling and costs $420 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162073

Solution

darcangelorr

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
So two 6950s seem to deliver the best power for the price - but are they worth it for all the bad press about instability issues with the current drivers. I'm sick of the ATI headaches I've had with my 2 5770s - BSOD with more than 1 active monitor in crossfire, drivers still dont work right in crossfire with Witcher 2, two months after its release....

So whats my other options - the GTX 580? Definitely puts out the performance but its been out for a while and has a very hefty price tag for a single card that is outperformed by other dual card solutions. The word from many reviews on this card is that performance is great but currently NOT worth the cost considering.

Alternatives - don't know - but i'm definitely not paying almost $800 (6990/590) for the latest from either company. I guess wish I heard more good things from the ATI camp as far as drivers and stability.

Anyone have any thoughts? Really would like to make a decision and put my order in Monday morning.

If not the GTX 580, then a pair of GTX 560 Ti's in SLI is your only other Nvidia choice in your price range. Seriously, as a GTX 580 owner, it's the best card you can possibly buy.

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Gennerally, the performance/price ratio is better on AMD gpus, but if you have the money to spend I'd always recommend Nvidia. Features, quality.. and what tha hell, its Nvidia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS