Jimzoaar

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi All,

I recently purchased an AMD FX-6200 and Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 motherboard.

I installed both components successfully.

I went to update the BIOS via @BIOS as I thought this would improve the CPU speed/stability. Since then my PC just hangs at 'Loading operating system...' (this screen shows immediately after the option to enter BIOS.)

After browsing the web many people suggested flashing my BIOS but noone really gave a good description of how to do that. I think I managed to having got to a checksum error screen asking me to select a BIOS profile ( I selected default and last known good and it still hung at the same screen.)

I then proceeded to update my BIOS via USB to the original BIOS for this board (F2). SInce I did this my PC doesnt even boot. Everything turns on as normal, lights and fans on, but then it just hangs like that, no fluctuation in fan speed, just hangs with no input signal into my monitor.

Pleasse help as I have just spent half my savings on upgrading this and its now failed!!!

Many thanks in advance,

you made a rooking error for not looking at the bios rev needed to post your cpu. the mb need rev 10 and you put rev 2 on the mb. your going to need to find an older cpu or see if a local store can reflash the mb for you. if the mb not dead dead look to see if you can force a flash from a usb stick or cd.

Good catch.

@Jimzoaar, why did you do that in the first place? Flashing the BIOS is never recommended unless you have to for a compatibility or stability issue, and you had a compatible BIOS to start with that was stable, as well, apparently.

smorizio's right though, you kinda screwed yourself. You downgraded, not upgraded. The original BIOS would be the worst of all for stability, and in your case, it broke compatibility too.