Sign in with
Your question

AXTU and Bios H/W reads Mobo Temp = -1 degree, bugged Bios?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2012 2:52:28 PM

Hi, my new computer is running fine, however since Iupdated to the newest BIOS for my Z77 Extreme 4 mobo, my CPU(31 C) and GPU(26 C) are running fine but my Motherboard temperature is reading (-1C/31F). How can I fix this and what is causing the problem?
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2012 4:03:57 PM

Its a problem with those ASRock Motherboards, could be the temperature sensor for the motherboard has gone bad. If you can RMA it, or if you are able to revert the bios firmware to the last working one. I'm sure if you have decent ventilation your motherboard should be working fine. Just to make sure its just a sensor, power on your computer and touch the motherboard chip set heat sink you should be able to tell if its at -1.
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:45:20 PM

socialfox said:
Its a problem with those ASRock Motherboards, could be the temperature sensor for the motherboard has gone bad. If you can RMA it, or if you are able to revert the bios firmware to the last working one. I'm sure if you have decent ventilation your motherboard should be working fine. Just to make sure its just a sensor, power on your computer and touch the motherboard chip set heat sink you should be able to tell if its at -1.

Hmm, how do you revert bios firmware to a previous version?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2012 12:13:06 AM

Apologies, I found out only some Asus motherboard have the ability to flash to an older version. I recommend you RMA your board if you are unsure about the temperatures. As long as you have decent airflow in your case your motherboard should be operating just fine. Do you still have warranty on your motherboard?
m
l
September 2, 2012 2:38:42 AM

socialfox said:
Apologies, I found out only some Asus motherboard have the ability to flash to an older version. I recommend you RMA your board if you are unsure about the temperatures. As long as you have decent airflow in your case your motherboard should be operating just fine. Do you still have warranty on your motherboard?

actually I found that ASRock supports flashing to any bios version as long as you properly load bios onto a usb drive/dvd then use the ASrock Instant flash utility. I will give that a try once I get familiar with it.

My case have pretty good Air flow(Rosewill Thor V2 with 3X230mm fan+1 140) and when my Bios was working my mobo temp was always below my CPU temp anyway so I am currently using that as a estimate.

I am actually still within the 30 day newegg RMA period but unless I think RMA should be a last resort and only used when totally necssary which I don't think it is the case.

My computer worked through a few hours of DX11 games(Ghost Recon: FS) and 4 3D mark11 benchmarks(8000-8500) and everything runs fine, CPU's max in benchmarks are about at 60 C & 3.8 Ghz (using a stock cooler atm), GPU 59 C & 1150 Boost Clock(Gigabyte GTX670) and the entire machine runs without any hick-ups. Is this mobo temperature a serious issue or am I fine the way it is?

System in question:
i5-3570K(3.4-3.8Turbo)
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4(Bios: default originally, 2.0 right now)
Gigabyte N670-OC/GD2
Ambient: 74 F = about 23 C
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 6:13:34 PM

sherlockwing said:
actually I found that ASRock supports flashing to any bios version as long as you properly load bios onto a usb drive/dvd then use the ASrock Instant flash utility. I will give that a try once I get familiar with it.

My case have pretty good Air flow(Rosewill Thor V2 with 3X230mm fan+1 140) and when my Bios was working my mobo temp was always below my CPU temp anyway so I am currently using that as a estimate.

I am actually still within the 30 day newegg RMA period but unless I think RMA should be a last resort and only used when totally necssary which I don't think it is the case.

My computer worked through a few hours of DX11 games(Ghost Recon: FS) and 4 3D mark11 benchmarks(8000-8500) and everything runs fine, CPU's max in benchmarks are about at 60 C & 3.8 Ghz (using a stock cooler atm), GPU 59 C & 1150 Boost Clock(Gigabyte GTX670) and the entire machine runs without any hick-ups. Is this mobo temperature a serious issue or am I fine the way it is?

System in question:
i5-3570K(3.4-3.8Turbo)
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4(Bios: default originally, 2.0 right now)
Gigabyte N670-OC/GD2
Ambient: 74 F = about 23 C

The graphic card is running quite cool, the cpu is just a bit on the warm side because of the stock cooler, but based on the temperatures I would say your motherboard is idling in the 30-35 range. So to answer your question about mobo temperature a serious issue the answer is yes because an overheating motherboard can cause quite a few problems as its the base of the computer that holds everything together. If you can touch the motherboard heatsink and its not scalding hot then you should be fine. However you really should consider the RMA if you cannot revert the bios.
m
l
September 3, 2012 6:25:52 PM

socialfox said:
The graphic card is running quite cool, the cpu is just a bit on the warm side because of the stock cooler, but based on the temperatures I would say your motherboard is idling in the 30-35 range. So to answer your question about mobo temperature a serious issue the answer is yes because an overheating motherboard can cause quite a few problems as its the base of the computer that holds everything together. If you can touch the motherboard heatsink and its not scalding hot then you should be fine. However you really should consider the RMA if you cannot revert the bios.

Max Temps after 3 3D Mark 11 benchmarks are in Bold:
Actually after a few restarts the Bios appear to have fixed itself, running HWMonitor(CPUID) I am getting the following Temps:
Mobo:
SYSTIN: 30C 31C
CPUTIN: 28C 37C
AUXTIN: 44C(Chipset) 44C
TMPIN3: 31C 56C(this seem to always be matching the CPU package temp)

CPU: 32C 55-57 C
GPU: 27C 50 C

Ambient: 72F-> 22C

Using ASRock's own H/W Monitor:
M/B Temp: 30C

Are those Temps alright?

Max CPU temp was achieved when using handbrake to decode/encode videos(all core 98%+)-> 65C, gaming CPU temp have yet to exceed 55C
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 12:46:06 AM

sherlockwing said:
Max Temps after 3 3D Mark 11 benchmarks are in Bold:
Actually after a few restarts the Bios appear to have fixed itself, running HWMonitor(CPUID) I am getting the following Temps:
Mobo:
SYSTIN: 30C 31C
CPUTIN: 28C 37C
AUXTIN: 44C(Chipset) 44C
TMPIN3: 31C 56C(this seem to always be matching the CPU package temp)

CPU: 32C 55-57 C
GPU: 27C 50 C

Ambient: 72F-> 22C

Using ASRock's own H/W Monitor:
M/B Temp: 30C

Are those Temps alright?

Max CPU temp was achieved when using handbrake to decode/encode videos(all core 98%+)-> 65C, gaming CPU temp have yet to exceed 55C

30 degrees is the optimal temperatures for a motherboard, my Asus m5a88l-m lx plus runs from 28-33 degrees. If those temperatures are kept like that expect the motherboard to last a long time in terms of average motherboard life spans.
m
l
!