Help choosing AMD CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

inane_asylum

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
I'm a bit stuck choosing from 3 processors for my new rig/upgrade. It will be a gaming/streaming/general purpose machine, so I need something with a bit of oomph. I've been digging around on AM3+ CPUs, and I've heard mixed reviews. With complaints about slow single-thread processes to recommendations to stick with Phenoms to claims that Steam games won't play on Bulldozers, I don't know which way to go.

If I get an AM3+ CPU, I'll be getting the Sabertooth motherboard. The FX-6100 and 1100t have the same amount of cores and same clock speed for the same price, but one would figure that the new architecture would be better, and I think I read somewhere that you can use faster RAM with the FX. I'm also bouncing around the idea of getting the FX-8120 8-core as it's not much more expensive, but again...the Bulldozer complaints.

Any help deciding would be appreciated.

TLDR: Gaming/streaming/general purpose computer, can't decide among FX-6100, Phenom II 1100t, and FX-8120. Also, is it true that Steam games won't run/crash on Bulldozer chips?

Solution

inane_asylum

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Thanks. After digging around some more, I found even more Bulldozer horror stories.

Now to choose a motherboard. I'm still considering getting a Sabertooth with the 1100t, but I've been really happy with my M4A89TD Pro/USB3. They're pretty much the same price, but the Sabertooth seems to have more features...strange.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Have had no issues with steam on the 8120. the only known issue with steam is trying to run a built in "benchmark" option on some games, the game itself works fine. If you don't plan on overclocking, ignore BD.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

basically their are two payers in it
1). fx-8120
2).ph2 1100t
fx-6100 will not stand a chance against them

from those ph2 x6 1100t is best

what about phenom 2 x4 980
also you can unlock cores on ph2 x4 to ph2 x6 (not sure about this)

compare ph2 x4 980, ph2 x6 1100t, and bd fx-8120 here

http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/?ind=1&c_part=AMD_AD775ZWCJ2BGH&PROCESS=Select+CPU+or+family...

Solution

theuniquegamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
For now i think you should go for a phenom ii x4 or x6 rather than fx series because its architecture is not as good as the phenoms . Buy a am3+ MB and wait for bulldozer 2nd generation like piledriver. Most of the 2nd generation of amd cpus are more optimized than and good performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS