Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help choosing AMD CPU

Last response: in CPUs
November 27, 2011 5:12:09 PM

I'm a bit stuck choosing from 3 processors for my new rig/upgrade. It will be a gaming/streaming/general purpose machine, so I need something with a bit of oomph. I've been digging around on AM3+ CPUs, and I've heard mixed reviews. With complaints about slow single-thread processes to recommendations to stick with Phenoms to claims that Steam games won't play on Bulldozers, I don't know which way to go.

If I get an AM3+ CPU, I'll be getting the Sabertooth motherboard. The FX-6100 and 1100t have the same amount of cores and same clock speed for the same price, but one would figure that the new architecture would be better, and I think I read somewhere that you can use faster RAM with the FX. I'm also bouncing around the idea of getting the FX-8120 8-core as it's not much more expensive, but again...the Bulldozer complaints.

Any help deciding would be appreciated.

TLDR: Gaming/streaming/general purpose computer, can't decide among FX-6100, Phenom II 1100t, and FX-8120. Also, is it true that Steam games won't run/crash on Bulldozer chips?

More about : choosing amd cpu

a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 5:20:54 PM

by the looks of it there has been alot of greif with bulldozer, so i would stick with the phenomII
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
November 27, 2011 10:57:41 PM

I would opt for Phenom II.
Score
Related resources
November 27, 2011 11:22:52 PM

Thanks. After digging around some more, I found even more Bulldozer horror stories.

Now to choose a motherboard. I'm still considering getting a Sabertooth with the 1100t, but I've been really happy with my M4A89TD Pro/USB3. They're pretty much the same price, but the Sabertooth seems to have more features...strange.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 11:32:26 PM

inane_asylum said:
I'm a bit stuck choosing from 3 processors for my new rig/upgrade. It will be a gaming/streaming/general purpose machine, so I need something with a bit of oomph. I've been digging around on AM3+ CPUs, and I've heard mixed reviews. With complaints about slow single-thread processes to recommendations to stick with Phenoms to claims that Steam games won't play on Bulldozers, I don't know which way to go.

If I get an AM3+ CPU, I'll be getting the Sabertooth motherboard. The FX-6100 and 1100t have the same amount of cores and same clock speed for the same price, but one would figure that the new architecture would be better, and I think I read somewhere that you can use faster RAM with the FX. I'm also bouncing around the idea of getting the FX-8120 8-core as it's not much more expensive, but again...the Bulldozer complaints.

TLDR: Gaming/streaming/general purpose computer, can't decide among FX-6100, Phenom II 1100t, and FX-8120. Also, is it true that Steam games won't run/crash on Bulldozer chips?

Have had no issues with steam on the 8120. the only known issue with steam is trying to run a built in "benchmark" option on some games, the game itself works fine. If you don't plan on overclocking, ignore BD.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 28, 2011 9:28:19 AM

inane_asylum said:

basically their are two payers in it
1). fx-8120
2).ph2 1100t
fx-6100 will not stand a chance against them

from those ph2 x6 1100t is best

what about phenom 2 x4 980
also you can unlock cores on ph2 x4 to ph2 x6 (not sure about this)

compare ph2 x4 980, ph2 x6 1100t, and bd fx-8120 here

http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/?ind=1&c_part=AMD_A......

November 28, 2011 9:50:38 AM

For now i think you should go for a phenom ii x4 or x6 rather than fx series because its architecture is not as good as the phenoms . Buy a am3+ MB and wait for bulldozer 2nd generation like piledriver. Most of the 2nd generation of amd cpus are more optimized than and good performer.
Score
November 28, 2011 11:51:15 AM

Thanks, everyone. I'm sticking with the Sabertooth motherboard, but getting the 1100t.
Score
November 28, 2011 11:53:49 AM

Best answer selected by Inane_Asylum.
Score
!