Sign in with
Your question

Asus p8z77-v lx memok keep flashing

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2012 3:20:35 PM

Installed new motherboard but nothing shows on screen.

Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, ATX, Intel Z77 Express, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Support, Dual Intelligent Processors 3)

Took out the graphic card, using inboard one, but now is memory memok flashing for ages without anything useful to show.

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit

According to the manual it is testing, but it has been a long time. Even tried to put in old ddr3 4x2gb 1333 from old mb but nothing. It keeps flashing happily, and that's all the pc does now... At least it's not rebooting anymore, but I am not sure that's the good thing.

Any ideas?

Thank you
September 3, 2012 5:40:22 AM

Is the bios set to PCI/PCIe in the graphics section ? That is default ??

Either reset to use onboard graphics (I forget what it's called [iGPU??] ), or plug in monitor to video card.

I have no idea if this is relevant, but it happened to me.
September 3, 2012 9:55:52 AM

Well, it is easier said than done. Monitor doesn't show anything. Remember. All I get from it is flashing red light in memory ok part of mb. It doesn't matter if I have inboard card only or or dedicated card plugged in.

It is clearly memory error, but it seems motherboard might be damaged if it cannot cope with any memory I put in.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 4:52:54 PM

Hi Arri, and welcome to Tom's Hardware!

I'm assuming the mem LED light is flashing. Pull out the sticks of RAM and check the sockets to make sure the pins are OK. Then put the 2 sticks of RAM in sockets 2 & 4 (B1 & B2). Power up and if the light is flashing, push the Mem OK button and the BIOS will attempt to set the RAM configuration so it will boot satisfactority. Hopefully that will get you started.

If you have another computer, you could try the vengeance RAM there, and use the Memory checking diagnostics in Win-7, or use Memtest+ from a bootable DVD to make sure the RAM is good. That would differentiate between the RAM and MB.

The RAM in initialized before the graphic card, so if the RAM is bad, you won't see anything on the monitor.

Lastly, if you have a 1-2" beep code speaker, attach it to the speaker terminals on the Front pin header. If the MB is bad you get no beeps, if RAM is bad or not installed you get and endless beeping, or 1 long, 2 short, depending on the Award BIOS on the board.
September 4, 2012 5:15:43 PM

Thank you John,

already tried all that. In fact just got back from technician that proclaimed board dead. Third in a row :( 

I have tried memory in different board, and it works, I have tried different memory on this board, and it doesn't, and it doesn't matter if I put it in channel A, channel B or both channels. Even if I remove memory, board doesn't even register it...

Anyway, solved now. Well...almost; purchased new board that got turned in a brick while re flashing bios... and did I mentioned the original board that was restarting my computer and blocking graphic card drivers from being stable? :) 

Somehow I just didn't pick the right ones.

a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 7:06:38 PM

Hi again Arri,

One thing I always have available is a "beep code" small speaker with red and black wires connected to a black connector with pins 1 & 4 (standard PC speaker).

It will give you beep codes before windows loads, 1 beep for "all OK", other beeps if there is a problem with RAM, Video Card, CPU, and if the MB is dead, 0 beeps. We tend to forget the "silent absent beep", but it is an important indicator of a major problem.

With the newer MB's, and fast boot times, we tend to forget this important troubleshooting tool.

When everything is working well, I usually take the larger speader off, or replace it with one of the 1/2" very small speakers. However, you have to have "young" ears to hear the faint and higher pitched codes at startup.

If everything is functioning properly, you don't need the speaker, but most "old timers" subconsciously are reassured to hear that single beep.
!