Sign in with
Your question

Stuttering While Playing Games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 26, 2011 12:18:12 AM

So recently I've noticed my games starting to "stutter" when I play them. An example would be in the middle of a firefight in Crysis; And occasionally the screen will freeze for half a second and it's extremely annoying.

I will also point out that it's never done this before until now. I'm pretty sure the problem exists in my graphics card but who knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAlUrb9_kNY

^ There is a link to a short Minecraft video I made demonstrating the problem. It's hard to see in the video but you can tell that I am stuttering every few seconds as I walk around.

I hope you can help me with my problem :) 

P.S. My Graphics Card is an ATI Radeon HD 5xxx series
And my Processor is a AMD Phenom II
a c 358 U Graphics card
June 26, 2011 2:47:40 AM

Which HD 5xxx card?

The HD 5450 can barely play games, while the HD 5970 can tear through most games easily.
m
l
June 26, 2011 3:26:02 AM

jaguarskx said:
Which HD 5xxx card?

The HD 5450 can barely play games, while the HD 5970 can tear through most games easily.

Like 5670 or something like that. But it runs all of my games on highest settings.
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2011 4:08:15 AM

ATI PowerPlay GPU throttling may be causing the issue. The GPU may not be recognizing it as a 3D application (hence no 3D clocks). Is it only for specific applications? In my instance, Minecraft stutters badly.

Download MSI Afterburner and check your clocks when playing the game. If the clocks are jumping all over the place, you are in the same fix as me.

:/ 
m
l
June 26, 2011 4:19:41 AM

wigglerthefish said:
ATI PowerPlay GPU throttling may be causing the issue. The GPU may not be recognizing it as a 3D application (hence no 3D clocks). Is it only for specific applications? In my instance, Minecraft stutters badly.

Download MSI Afterburner and check your clocks when playing the game. If the clocks are jumping all over the place, you are in the same fix as me.

:/ 

It happens with all my games but mainly Minecraft. I guess we should keep in mind that it could be something else besides the graphics card. I have also had some failed overclocking attempts that crashed my computer

And there's no jumping around on my clocks with that Afterburner thing :/ 
m
l
June 26, 2011 5:11:15 PM

Oh and when playing MC my CPU is working at around 30% and I am using about 1 1/2 gigs of ram out of 6 gigs. I don't know if that's normal or not.
m
l
!