Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Move Dell components to a new Antec case

Last response: in Components
November 27, 2011 6:30:59 PM

Hello,
I currently have a Dell Vostro 400 and my son has eMachines EL1352. I would like to temporarily put my Dell components into an Antec case I have purchased and put my son's eMachine components into my old Dell case. Son's eMachine is a micro tower with no room for expansion (new power supply and video card). Would there be any potential problems in switching out the components? I'm sure it would most likely be easier to just put my son's components into the Antec case, but I'm planning on building a system at the new year.
a c 110 ) Power supply
November 27, 2011 7:03:43 PM

Certain companies make their own motherboards custom for an example hp makes their motherboards slightly smaller than a regular sized micro atx motherboard. So there might be some problem with aligning the motherboard wholes up and stuff like that.
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
November 27, 2011 7:31:41 PM

The Dell would transfer ok into the Antec case,not too sure about the other scenario that could prove to be a pita!
Score
Related resources
November 27, 2011 8:03:41 PM

Thanks much for your replies! I may just bite the bullet and pick up a case from Fry's for my son. They have some inexpensive ones that will house the micro board and allow me to upgrade the psu and video card.

On another note, I have several old units + parts just taking up storage space. Some units date back to 2005. Is it worth it to donate these to charities, or just bring them to the e-waste recycling places?

Thanks again!!
Score

Best solution

a c 274 ) Power supply
November 27, 2011 8:08:24 PM

v62695 said:
Thanks much for your replies! I may just bite the bullet and pick up a case from Fry's for my son. They have some inexpensive ones that will house the micro board and allow me to upgrade the psu and video card.

On another note, I have several old units + parts just taking up storage space. Some units date back to 2005. Is it worth it to donate these to charities, or just bring them to the e-waste recycling places?

Thanks again!!

Yep buying another case is probably your best option.
Donate working towers and recycle the really old and broken.
November 27, 2011 8:41:07 PM

Thanks again, you're help is very much appreciated!! Had to laugh, I found sticks of 256mb memory, a floppy drive and windows 3.11 disks in my stash of parts!! woot!

Have a great day!!
Score
November 27, 2011 8:41:14 PM

Best answer selected by v62695.
Score
!