Help with Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 i5-2500K build (w/o SSD)

xkater

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
HI all - building Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3/i5-2500K machine with ONLY 1 SATA hard disk with the thought of installing a caching SSD at a later date.
i (think i) know that i should install the single disk with BIOS value "RAID (XHD)".
I don't see any notation anywhere that i MUST have a 2nd Hard disk or SSD installed in order to actually choose (and implement) this "RAID (XHD)" configuration. (iow, the single drive will operate in RAID mode)
Is this true?
i don't want to have to reinstall the operating system, once i buy and install the 20MB-40MB SSD drive.
Then i would install "Rapid Storage Tech" driver and configure it to utilize the SSD drive as cache.

any info greatly appreciated

tia

G

From what I know you're supposed to set it to AHCI instead of raid. If you;re caching, you don't have to touch the operating system.

Set it to AHCI, plug the ssd in, and in the Intel Storage utility you select the ssd and set it to caching. That's all there is to it. I don't think you need to install anything extra. I have the same motherboard(without the p) and on installation, the Intel Rapid Storage Utility was already installed.