Best Z77 mobo for CPU OC, NO SLI.

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hey I am after a very good and stable mobo that can overclock well, like the gigabyte Z77X-UD5 but with only ONE PCIe 3.0 Gfx slot. That way I will save some money on the overall system since I do not intend to run SLI in the future. Only two Sata 6Gb/s slots are needed.

It has to be durable and able to OC my components well.

Thanks for the help.

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
That sucks. At least the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard is on sale today for only $130.

But I will see what other people have to say first.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Have you checked out Maximus V Gene? Asus make amazing MoBos. If you look at top overclock benchmarks, 80% use the Rampage IV Extreme from ASUS.

Yes, it has 2 PCI, but its their cheapest ROG board. It is a Micro ATX board (very small) and yet they still fit it with 2 PCI. Besides, an extra PCI can be used for other things, not just video cards (sound card for example).

That's a great board.

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Yeah, the gigabyte has mSata... Why doesn´t AsRock have that on even their more extreme and expensive versions. Weird.

Edit: Is it possible to use software from other mobo manufacturers on any mobo. Example. If I find a disc, can I install the AsRock Xfast USB, LAN on a system that has Gigabyte mobo? Because the AsRock softwares seem good. I know you can MSI Afterburn with any system or graphics card. So why not mobo software...

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
Do NOT get the ASRock OC Formula. It's a waste. Go for the Maximus V Formula instead if you're willing to spend that much. You won't get anything better. If you wanna save some money, go for the ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO. These two boards have amazing OC potential.

:)

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

They are both too expensive. Said $150 is my budget. I´m not going for a OC world record haha. But thanks for sharing.

Like I said before tho, is it possible to use, e.g. AsRock software (not BIOS or firmware) on a gigabyte board?

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012

Go for the Extreme6 then :)

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

You are right, I am sorry if I wasted peoples time. What I meant by using the UD5H as an example was... I am looking for quality similar the the UD5 but I do not want to pay for extra SLI slots that I won´t be using. Assuming that a mobo with that or better quality but less SLI slots would be around $110-150.

Will clerify in future topics, just wanted to avoid a wall of text but the first, generalised post caused confusion instead. Sorry.