Sep 1, 2012
hi all hope u can help this is my rig

cpu q6600 2.40 not overclock

motherboard gigabytes g41m-es2h

graphics card gts450 2 gig ram

power supply 500 watt

old ram was ddr2 800 mhz pc2-6400 3gig

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

the problem i am getting is i wanted to put 4 gig ram in so i went out and bought two 2 gig ram sticks ddr2 800 mhz pc2-6400 from komputerbay so got them through today took my old ddr2 3 gig ram out and put new 4 gig in it ran fine for 2 hours then i got a blue screen did this several times then turned pc off and put old ram back in and it worked perfectly fine does antone have any ideas to solve this problem thnx in advance

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You may have some defective memory. Put one stick in at a time and run Memtest for at least one full pass to see if it passes with no errors. Repeat with the 2nd stick in alone next.
http://www.memtest.org/

Win7 also has a memory check you can perform by typing windows memory diagnostics in the start/search box. You can run that first with both sticks in place to see if it catches it. If not, run Memtest.

carl 21

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
hi and thanks for the reply i ran the windows memory diagnostics 4 times 1 with my 3gb old ram and no errors

then i set it up and put in my new 4 gb ram and i got a hardware problems was detected

so i took 1 2gb ram out and ran it again just with 2 gb in new ram and it passed no errors found

so i then took out that ram and put in the other 2 gb in and got a hardware problems was detected

so it seem i have a faultr 2 gb stick so i will be sending it bk thankyou clutchc for your help :D

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
One other little tid bit of advice... For best results, both slots should be populated with a matched pair of memory sticks. If you can, take both back and buy your 2 sticks as a matched pair.

carl 21

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
thay are a matched pair but will only let me send the bad 1 bk but will get the same 1 bk so can i for now put my new 2gb in with my old 2gb my old 2gb is ddr2 800mhz pc2-6400 timing 5-5-5 and my new is ddr2 800 mhz pc2-6400 timing 6-6-6 will they be ok and will it still run good or will it run slower or am i pest 2 wait

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

There's a good chance they will play nice together, but run at the slower sticks speed, timing, etc. Can't hurt to try.

carl 21

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
ok i have decided 2 build a new gaming pc the 1 i have is old so i wont a new 1 ok so i wont 2 build a new gaming pc there is no money limit and i wont the bets u can get so i need it all case the lot im thinking of watercooling 2 the ram the card ex so need help picking the best thanks