Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Crashing

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2012 9:56:50 PM

So I am having an issue with my computer consistently crashing. It's a new build. I think that the motherboard North chipset is getting too hot, but I don't know how to verify that, as the bios only shows the temp on the CPU (it's very hot to touch it).

I just built it today and am not overclocking at all. It crashed a lot during windows first updates, and while installing starcraft II. When it crashed it would not turn back on for a couple minutes. Now I can't even start windows as it crashes while trying to recover files. The BSoD pops in sometimes too. I think it's the NB chipset overheating, but how do I check this? Or do you guys think it could be something else?

Build:
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (If you go online you will see a lot of heat issues with this motherboard)
AMD-6100
Geforce GTX-550 Ti
PSU-450 W
1 TB Hardrive
8 GB G. Skill 1600 Hz RAM

I think that is really about everything except the optical drive

More about : computer crashing

Best solution

a c 168 V Motherboard
September 1, 2012 10:17:56 PM

Refusing to turn back on is typically a power delivery problem. what's the manufacturer of your PSU?
September 1, 2012 10:23:47 PM

It's cooler master. Honestly the PSU was kind of hot too, but not too hot to touch. I feel like I should have enough wattage, but maybe not..... Do I need to change anything in the bios? 450 W should be enough right? No overclocking, just a decent graphics card, and a 95 W CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a c 168 V Motherboard
September 1, 2012 10:39:39 PM

Is this the one you have?

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

If so, it should have more than enough current capacity on the 12 volt rail for your needs. PSUs definitely get warm, hot even under load, so there's nothing abnormal about that.

Have you tried updating the firmware to the latest revision? This is a huge contributor to system stability. Also, try backing your memory down to 1333 and see if that helps
m
l
September 1, 2012 10:43:10 PM

Yeah that's it. Sorry I am new to this, but what firmware? And how do I clock down the memory?

m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
September 1, 2012 10:47:24 PM

gish88 said:
Yeah that's it. Sorry I am new to this, but what firmware? And how do I clock down the memory?

Firmware = BIOS update

If you haven't explicitly set your memory to DDR3-1600 it may still be running at DDR3-1333. Install HWInfo64 or CPUz to find out
m
l
September 2, 2012 12:19:52 AM

I checked my memory and it's running at 1600, like it should be. How do you update the bios? I downloaded the newest version of bios, but I'm not sure how to install it. I just reinstalled windows, and realized with gigabyte that there are different versions of the exact same motherboard, with separate drivers. So I installed the right revision of my drivers for my motherboard, hopefully everything works out.....
m
l
September 2, 2012 5:03:55 AM

So I reinstalled everything; windows, drivers, etc. I didn't have any issues, but then I installed starcraft and after I played about 30 min it shut down again. It did this four times with starcraft II. It will shut down automatically and then stay off for a few seconds. Any ideas?

P.S. I never updated the firmware. I downloaded it, but I don't know how to install it.

m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
September 2, 2012 2:55:01 PM

gish88 said:
So I reinstalled everything; windows, drivers, etc. I didn't have any issues, but then I installed starcraft and after I played about 30 min it shut down again. It did this four times with starcraft II. It will shut down automatically and then stay off for a few seconds. Any ideas?

P.S. I never updated the firmware. I downloaded it, but I don't know how to install it.

The firmware may sometimes be in a directly executable format, this allows you to install it from within Windows. If it is not it will have to be installed from within the system setup. There are usually instructions on how to do this in your motherboard manual.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:43:17 PM

It looks like the PSU is the problem. I switched it out and I'm not having issues. Am I running to much wattage? Or should I RMA the PSU?
m
l
September 9, 2012 12:05:01 AM

Best answer selected by gish88.
m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
September 9, 2012 12:08:42 AM

gish88 said:
It looks like the PSU is the problem. I switched it out and I'm not having issues. Am I running to much wattage? Or should I RMA the PSU?

I thought as much. Just RMA the PSU
m
l
!