Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why are my games frame skipping?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 27, 2011 9:28:48 PM

All my games are frame skipping or pretty much all of them. I have just put in a new processor when this started happening its and AMD Phenom II6 1100T processor from my old one which was an AMD Phenom II X2. It was only after this change it seemed to happen

I tested out some things and the CPU doesn't use up 100% CPU and there are no background processes that would effect the game

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer parts since the last processor I got didn't even fit. But any way if you need them here are my specs

CPU: "AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition" (Used to be)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard: Asus M4N68T
Memory: 8.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz DHX CL9 (4x2GB)

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Sound card: Asus Xonar DS 7.1
Monitor:LG 22' E2240S-PN LED
Case: Xigmatek Asgard
PSU: 700W OCZ

I do not know honestly what section to put this in im putting it here since it happened when the CPU change happened

More about : games frame skipping

a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 9:42:53 PM

what do you mean your proc doesn't get above 100? do you mean 100 degrees? if it gets any higher then 65c, reapply the thermal paste.

also what games and what settings are you trying to run em at, also need the resolution

Try turning down the settings to lowest and see if that helps

I personally use HWmonitor(to check temps) + Prime 95(to stress the cpu, run it for about 15mins)
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 9:45:16 PM

It is possible that you messed up the thermal paste on the CPU cooler which can cause the CPU to overheat, which then causes it to down-cycle, when then can cause all sorts of fun things. Use PC Wizard (or some other PC diagnostic software) and check your temperatures when at idle, and when at load. Sadly I am not an AMD person, so I do not know what the temps should be, but I am sure you can find out easily enough.

Again, may not be the problem, but I have seen it happen before.
Related resources
November 27, 2011 9:48:36 PM

what is the version of your bios? is it 1004? 02xx?
November 27, 2011 10:02:03 PM

kd0frg said:
what is the version of your bios? is it 1004? 02xx?


I don't know how to find that out or if this is correct but a program called msi afterburner said I had this: 70.04.29.00.02
November 27, 2011 10:06:17 PM

mouse24 said:
what do you mean your proc doesn't get above 100? do you mean 100 degrees? if it gets any higher then 65c, reapply the thermal paste.

also what games and what settings are you trying to run em at, also need the resolution

Try turning down the settings to lowest and see if that helps

I personally use HWmonitor(to check temps) + Prime 95(to stress the cpu, run it for about 15mins)


By 100 I mean it doesn't go over 100% CPU, My highest temperature that I got was 63 Degrees Celsius, Turning down to the lowest does not help I can have it on highest and it would still frame skip the exact same, I'll try those programs and see what I get.
November 27, 2011 10:09:30 PM

mouse24 said:
what do you mean your proc doesn't get above 100? do you mean 100 degrees? if it gets any higher then 65c, reapply the thermal paste.

also what games and what settings are you trying to run em at, also need the resolution

Try turning down the settings to lowest and see if that helps

I personally use HWmonitor(to check temps) + Prime 95(to stress the cpu, run it for about 15mins)


games like: Tribes ascend, crysis, left for dead 1 and 2, fable 3, sanctum
November 27, 2011 10:31:12 PM

well, use a program called CPUID, download it from cpuid.com, and click on the Mainboard tab once its loaded, you will see on that list in the middle, a section called "Bios" it should list the type of bios "american megatrends/PhoenixAward..etc" and the bios version

the reason i ask is, in order to properly run that new cpu you put in, you need bios revision 1004 or later, like 1301 i think is the newest
November 27, 2011 10:34:51 PM

63 degrees is still on the high side, so I'd check that cooler.
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 10:37:49 PM

Turn you details on games to the lowest. check their performance.
then up the resolution to your desktop resolution and try again.
try this with the other graphics settings until you get the best settings while still being playable.

with the 460 u wont be able to run new games on max.

there is not much within windows or games that will max out (100% usage) the 1100T
you would need to download a cpu benchmarking package.

I had an issue recently where bad sectors on the HDD would result in minor pauses every 10 sec or so. happened within windows and in games. Its a long shot but when the system is pausing / struggleing what is your HDD activity light doing (red light on front of case) is it flashing like mad or not doing anything?

If it's going mad its worth running a HDD test.
November 27, 2011 11:01:40 PM

kd0frg said:
well, use a program called CPUID, download it from cpuid.com, and click on the Mainboard tab once its loaded, you will see on that list in the middle, a section called "Bios" it should list the type of bios "american megatrends/PhoenixAward..etc" and the bios version

the reason i ask is, in order to properly run that new cpu you put in, you need bios revision 1004 or later, like 1301 i think is the newest


The brand is American Megatrends inc
The version is 0902

Are bio's something software related? Like I can easily install them?
November 27, 2011 11:07:47 PM

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N68TM/#CPUS

look there, says you need revision 1004 or later to fully recognize your AMD Phenom II X6 1100T , your revision is too old - i suppose it could cause a problem, but im not 100% sure.. bios's are the basic input output , sorta like the brain of the motherboard aside from the CPU, they are stored on a ROM chip, it is flashable, meaning you can download a newer one and "flash" it to a newer revision .. although im not sure if your motherboard is the V2 version of your asus model or the V1 version, nor do i know if that would matter.. a failure to upgrade the bios (you try flashing, and it fails for some reason, like a power interruption, corrupted data, or the wrong bios file for your specific motherboard) your mobo will become a paper weight.. then again, ive never read your motherboard manual, some motherboards are crash free or even have dual bios u can switch to if theres a flashing upgrade failure.. flash with caution, i suggest you read your motherboard manual concerning bios upgrading
November 27, 2011 11:13:00 PM

ah congradulations , you have a crash free bios! nice.. that means if there is a failure, you can always try again:

CrashFree BIOS 3
Simply restore corrupted BIOS data from USB flash disk
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip.

read the manual to learn how to use it, its a nice feature on asus motherboards (as i too have that feature with my asus motherboard and it saved me once lol)
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 11:13:37 PM

basically how you update bios' is download the CORRECT version (emphasis on correct) burn it to cd, restart pc, put cd as first boot drive, bing bam boom there you go :3

or if your mobo supports it you can also use usb drives or floppy drives, etc
November 27, 2011 11:27:20 PM

kd0frg said:
ah congradulations , you have a crash free bios! nice.. that means if there is a failure, you can always try again:

CrashFree BIOS 3
Simply restore corrupted BIOS data from USB flash disk
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip.

read the manual to learn how to use it, its a nice feature on asus motherboards (as i too have that feature with my asus motherboard and it saved me once lol)


So how would you install said bio's then would you use that process?
November 27, 2011 11:40:10 PM

ah, no i wouldnt, only if there is a problem

download the bios file, it should be a .bin file, you can get ver 1301 from asus's website

get a USB thumb drive, or a flash card/usb thumb drive or any type of external storage device and format it from My Computer (right click on thumb drive thats plugged in now, select format, select FAT, not NTFS, format it) .. now put the bios file (not the zipped compressed .zip, unzip the .bin file to the thumb drive)

reboot and enter your bios (press delete key i think?) and locate the Asus EZ Flash utility, enter it. Now find your thumb drive, locate the bios file, and initate the flash.

if all is well, it should flash it (it will take some time, but it will have an indicator bar) then it will say it is done, and it will reboot, after you reboot, and it posts, all is well.. enter your bios, and select "load optimal defaults" .. save and exit bios.. now ull post again.. enter the bios again, and set-up all your favored bios configurations you once had.. you may want to record your old configurations before you flash your bios, like overclock settings, what mode your hard drives are in? AHCI/IDE/RAID.. what your RAM timings or settings are.. just for good measure
November 27, 2011 11:58:23 PM

kd0frg said:
ah, no i wouldnt, only if there is a problem

download the bios file, it should be a .bin file, you can get ver 1301 from asus's website

get a USB thumb drive, or a flash card/usb thumb drive or any type of external storage device and format it from My Computer (right click on thumb drive thats plugged in now, select format, select FAT, not NTFS, format it) .. now put the bios file (not the zipped compressed .zip, unzip the .bin file to the thumb drive)

reboot and enter your bios (press delete key i think?) and locate the Asus EZ Flash utility, enter it. Now find your thumb drive, locate the bios file, and initate the flash.

if all is well, it should flash it (it will take some time, but it will have an indicator bar) then it will say it is done, and it will reboot, after you reboot, and it posts, all is well.. enter your bios, and select "load optimal defaults" .. save and exit bios.. now ull post again.. enter the bios again, and set-up all your favored bios configurations you once had.. you may want to record your old configurations before you flash your bios, like overclock settings, what mode your hard drives are in? AHCI/IDE/RAID.. what your RAM timings or settings are.. just for good measure


The file I got was a rom file.
November 28, 2011 12:07:26 AM

ah that will work
November 28, 2011 6:20:45 AM

kd0frg said:
ah that will work


I couldn't download V1301 I looked on the section where my mother board is on asus and it only went up to 1102. I presume thats ok though
November 28, 2011 12:46:24 PM

CaedenV said:
It is possible that you messed up the thermal paste on the CPU cooler which can cause the CPU to overheat, which then causes it to down-cycle, when then can cause all sorts of fun things. Use PC Wizard (or some other PC diagnostic software) and check your temperatures when at idle, and when at load. Sadly I am not an AMD person, so I do not know what the temps should be, but I am sure you can find out easily enough.

Again, may not be the problem, but I have seen it happen before.


I had a similar problem with an AMD CPU, it turned out I had not installed the cooler correctly. Download a CPU monitor tool, I use an program called core temp. Then download prime 95.

Open Core temp and prime 95, your CPU should be at full load (100%) how high does the temp go?

Amd's drop to around 1/2 speed if they get too hot, this will show in Core temp as a reduced speed (may also be cause frequency)
November 28, 2011 2:16:30 PM

63 degrees is VERY high for AMD. With a 30 dollar cooler like Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus I am overclocking AMD from 2.8 GHZ to 3.5 GHZ and my max temperature is 46 degrees. I would not feel comfortable pushing past 55 degrees on AMD.

This could be the cause of your instability.
November 28, 2011 6:25:52 PM

bumnut53 said:
I had a similar problem with an AMD CPU, it turned out I had not installed the cooler correctly. Download a CPU monitor tool, I use an program called core temp. Then download prime 95.

Open Core temp and prime 95, your CPU should be at full load (100%) how high does the temp go?

Amd's drop to around 1/2 speed if they get too hot, this will show in Core temp as a reduced speed (may also be cause frequency)


Apparently the highest I got 45C with prime 95 open
November 28, 2011 9:21:00 PM

Oh wow I stressed tested using msi afterburner and my temperature of my GPU went to like 77 degrees
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2011 9:24:27 PM

Yeah 77c is ok for a video card, not great but ok, how long was it stressed for? try running Furmark for about 15 mins, also make sure your fans on the gpu are ramping up...

For some reason on my 5670 the fans won't ramp up until like 80c (which causes the vrms to overheat since there is no thermal sensor on those -.- so I just leave my fan on 75%
November 28, 2011 10:18:21 PM

mouse24 said:
Yeah 77c is ok for a video card, not great but ok, how long was it stressed for? try running Furmark for about 15 mins, also make sure your fans on the gpu are ramping up...

For some reason on my 5670 the fans won't ramp up until like 80c (which causes the vrms to overheat since there is no thermal sensor on those -.- so I just leave my fan on 75%


I ran it for 15 minuets the maximum temperature was 91 degrees at around 5 minuets in it got to 85 degrees and slowly rose from there over the next 10 minuets. My fan rampted up to about 96%
November 28, 2011 10:52:17 PM

Something I've noticed on msi afterburner is that when my frame rate drops so does my core clock, shader clock, memory clock suddenly drops very quick. Don't know if that helps or not
November 28, 2011 11:49:23 PM

at about 98c your clock will begin to decrease and throttle back its clock rates because of a protection built into it to keep it from frying itself. Are you overclocking the card? try setting back to default clocks if you are, either that or you have a serious temperature problem with the card if your reaching in the 90c range.. check to make sure your gpu fan is spinning by visually looking at it, feel that air is moving through it.
November 29, 2011 12:49:46 AM

kd0frg said:
at about 98c your clock will begin to decreasBbBDsigpjuws\ ghizwpo jfi0spoghf upoesdjghisdorgheizdporghre and throttle back its clock rates because of a protection built into it to keep it from frying itself. Are you overclocking the card? try setting back to default clocks if you are, either that or you have a serious temperature problem with the card if your reaching in the 90c range.. check to make sure your gpu fan is spinning by visually looking at it, feel that air is moving through it.


Erm well I know its spinning I've seen it and can fell the air coming though. As for overclocking I don't think im overclocking it too hard just increased it a tad. I'll try setting it back.
November 29, 2011 9:14:11 PM

All this has helped the frame rate but it still skips for like 5 minuets every 20 minuets or so it seems
November 29, 2011 9:44:42 PM

not sure what the deal is man, it almost sounds like what happend with early athlon x2's that needed that dual core optimizer amd released for windows because without it games would frame skip and jump around because of internal cpu timing issues.

have you tried uninstalling your graphics drivers compleatly and downloading the latest ones and giving it another go? or maybe try re-seatting the cpu just for the heck of it, im just shooting out ideas in the dark here man, would it be possible for you to maybe RMA the cpu and get a replacement just in case there is something wrong with it?
November 29, 2011 11:11:32 PM

I'll try fiddling around with it and see what happens. I'm pretty sure its not a temperature issue. And from what I can tell its totally random when it does it like it will be at a smooth 60 fps and then will drop to 30 to 15 and then 3 or 4 mins later back to 60. Unless its a frequency problem but im not sure. Either way thanks for all the help
!