6990 flickering and no CCC

sonikot

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
hello,

I was on 11.4 when i bought my amd 6990 installed freshly no problems everything ran good. one day i started of bfbc2 and got a screen flicker, which then went into crysis 2 and age of conan. now i pretty much had to play all the games in windows mode which i am not happy about w/ a $700 card.

I get a nasty screen flicker in whatever game i play UNLESS it's in windowed mode. and now my catalyst control center won't open at all no matter what drivers i put there and i am soo tired of installing drivers.

I have ran 11.2, 11.4,a, 11.5a,b,11.6.

I have uninstalled all drivers and use drive sweeper in between each installation.

Im running Windows 7 x64, 8GB Ram, AMD Sapphire 6990, i7 950 3.20GHz 21inch widescreen monitor.

I jus want to run in full screen mode and get CCC working. So i can play games.

Thanks

In order to troubleshoot anything, the software has to be installed and you need to be able to get to the CCC.

You need to uninstall the whole thing from Programs->Uninstall a Program and choose the 'Express Uninstall' option. Reboot and repeat for anything ATI or AMD you see in your Programs list under the Uninstall a Program option. Then run the driver sweeper. Then Reboot. Then install the drivers. Is that how you've been going about it?

I know your pain, though. Getting in the tank in BFBC2 made the screen go haywire with flicker. I had the same issues when I ran my crossfire setup. I got so frustrated with how much money I had wrapped up in it ($750 even though it's a better value?), all the flickering and all the other driver issues introduced monthly that I sold my cards in late Feb and switched to SLI. It all has to do with what you're willing to accept for your money. For me, spending that much to put up with those kinds of issues was unacceptable.

People will say turn on Vsync and triple buffering. Vsync always got rid of the flickering, but added annoyingly noticeable lag as it does. This is especially noticeable in the first-person shooters.

Turning off crossfire made the flickering stop, but then what's the point?

I am not trying to put anyone down for buying AMD, because I did the same thing once. I'm just saying I have had absolutely no problem with my SLI setup (and seriously it almost brings a tear to my eye to see BFBC2 in all its majesty!).

Once you get CCC installed and functioning again...
I know you'll get lower framerates, but do you get the flickering issue if you turn crossfire off? With crossfire on and vsync and triple buffering on do you get the flickering?