Gateway Solo 2500 Not recognizing full amount of RAM

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2005 12:12:35 PM

Hello,

I am hoping someone has come across (and hopefully solved) this problem
before. I have a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop. According to Gateway's
website, this laptop can support up to 288 MB of RAM. (32 onboard + 128
in Slot 1 + 128 in Slot 2) The problem that I am having is slot 1 will
only recognize 64 MB when it has a 128 chip in it. The other slot will
recognize 128 MB chips with no problem.

I know it is not the RAM chips, because I have tried them both in slot
2. Slot 2 sees them both as 128 MB as it should. Slot 1 sees them both
as 64.

I have spoken with Gateway and they told me to flash the BIOS. It
turned out though that I already had the latest version of the BIOS
installed.

Both RAM chips are the same brand and speed (PC-100), Gateway's site
says that it uses PC-66, but I don't think that this is the issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
August 23, 2005 7:34:32 PM

XxLicherxX <goldhors64@aol.com> wrote:
[...]

Gateway's specs may simply be wrong. Perhaps the laptop itself can
only address 256MB of RAM total (multiples of 128MB make more sense
from a system-design standpoint than 32MB + 128MB + 128MB). That
would preclude the addition of two 128MB DIMMs + the 32MB onboard.

Are there any other RAM settings in the BIOS you can change? I know
laptop BIOS settings tend to be spare but it's worth asking.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----