Help Wanted - Bottlenecking 2 x 6950 2gb

Hi.

Basically, I'm looking for a new processor to replace my Phenom II X2 555 @ 4GHz. I've currently got a Biostar 990FXE motherboard, and am shortly buying 2 x XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb for a Crossfire setup.

Will an AMD platform severely bottleneck (to the point where it'd be worth spending a crap-ton to switch to Intel) my 6950's?

I sorta need advice in a rush... I've only got a few days left to get a refund on my 990FX motherboard if need be.

Thanks in advance!
7 answers Last reply
More about help wanted bottlenecking 6950
  1. No, not severely.
  2. I personally would just get a X4 unless your X2 unlocks cores!
  3. +1 on unlocking cores.
    However, I've heard in some cases unlocked core can cause instability.
    You can upgrade to an X4 955 of X6 1090T and OC them.
  4. Previous attempts to unlock any cores failed. The next step is figuring out what to upgrade to...

Phenom II X4 980 or FX-8120?
  5. i used to have an x2 555. unlocked it to 3 cores at 3.5....bought a 955be and im quite happy with my choise. you will see a overall improvement of daily computer usage and some of the games your playing will run smoother. even if the game in question is skyrim which runs on 2 threads, the other 2 threads will do the background thinking that your computer does. Overclock to a clock rate above 3.3 and you will not be bottlenecked.
  6. I'd stay away from Bulldozer. Just to many issues relevant to it. An X4 955 OC to 4.0Ghz or even a X6 1090T OCed will do great as an upgrade.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bottleneck Motherboards Product