$100-$200 GPU for Video Editing Rig

BalisongAddict

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: in a month

BUDGET RANGE: $100-$200 after rebate (the lower the better)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video editing and rendering is what I will use my computer for most. Sometimes, I will watch blu-ray movies. I'm not much of a gamer, but will occasionally play games like fallout 3 and call of duty.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: none; I'm building a new rig

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel i7 2600k; 8GB of RAM; HAF X Air cooling

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg; Fry's

PARTS PREFERENCES: not really sure; very new to this

OVERCLOCKING: probably not

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I will have the option, but won't use it right now. Might use it later.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: not sure yet, but I will have a good resolution monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: none I can think of

Solution
Dont worry about it, we all were once.
So Nvidia and AMD are the two actual creators of the "reference" cards they call them. They design the tech and build the first cards. The other companies take those reference cards and change them slightly, while still maintaining the same card. Mostly all they change is the fan and heatsink design and the clock speed of the cards, which changes the performance but can be done manually by the user anyways. Most of the different designs really wont affect how they work, however if a card has especially bad reviews, or it is a manufacturer than has a bad reputation its probably a good idea to steer clear.

Because you may be using 3 monitors that means you should probably go with an AMD card. Their...

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
how many monitors will you be running? From your post it looks like just one but if you ever plan on doing 3, which I could see useful for video editing, then it changes what one would recommend.

As of now I would say get a 550ti, 6850, or 6870. All of those are well under 200, the 6870 being the most powerful. Do you have an nvidia or amd preference?

BalisongAddict

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I will actually be using 3 monitors eventually. Graphics cards are what I know the least about, so I do not have an nvidia or amd preference. I notice that there are many different brands of graphics cards on newegg, but I thought that nvidia and amd where the only two GPU brands. Do they just put different fans on them or what? Does it matter what brand I buy from on newegg? Sorry, I am very new to this.

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Dont worry about it, we all were once.
So Nvidia and AMD are the two actual creators of the "reference" cards they call them. They design the tech and build the first cards. The other companies take those reference cards and change them slightly, while still maintaining the same card. Mostly all they change is the fan and heatsink design and the clock speed of the cards, which changes the performance but can be done manually by the user anyways. Most of the different designs really wont affect how they work, however if a card has especially bad reviews, or it is a manufacturer than has a bad reputation its probably a good idea to steer clear.

Because you may be using 3 monitors that means you should probably go with an AMD card. Their cards offer something called eyefinity, which allows 3 monitors to be connected at the same time. There is at least one nvidia manufacturer that has done this also but almost all nvidia cards only allow 2 monitors at a time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161349&cm_re=radeon_6870-_-14-161-349-_-Product
That card is a very good card for the price (185 before rebate, 165 after). As of now it can handle every game out there, which means it should more than suit your needs for editing. It has eyefinity and a solid core clock speed. HIS is a good company so you shouldnt have any problems there. (theres always the chance youll get a bad card but newegg helps with the return process).
If you want to spend a little less, you could go with this card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150515&cm_re=radeon_6850-_-14-150-515-_-Product
basically the same thing but slightly slower, i think the 6870 is a better option though.
Any more questions just ask!

Solution

BalisongAddict

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011