RAM upgrade-later question

dosbequis

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
If I get this memory set first:
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231558

and put it into dual channel slots on the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Mobo,
will I be able to add this memory set later:
Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148561 ?

Since one set is faster, should that set be seated in a certain slot (provided the 2 different sets can be used together) when I have all 4 sticks to install?

TY to any & all help

Solution
They may work together, but the timings would have to be the slower of the two (the Ares kit). Both kits can't be at different timings (or speeds, for that matter), so the slowest of the two kits settings will have to be used. I can't guarantee that it'll be completely stable, though.

Why not just stick to one type or the other? Still possible issues there with unmatched kits (since you'll be buying them at different times), but it's a LOT better to use kits from the same line and manufacturer and with the same timings than it is to use kits from completely different lines and manufacturers with completely different timings.

Edit: If you decide to go through with it anyway (still not sure why you would), the kit with the...
They may work together, but the timings would have to be the slower of the two (the Ares kit). Both kits can't be at different timings (or speeds, for that matter), so the slowest of the two kits settings will have to be used. I can't guarantee that it'll be completely stable, though.

Why not just stick to one type or the other? Still possible issues there with unmatched kits (since you'll be buying them at different times), but it's a LOT better to use kits from the same line and manufacturer and with the same timings than it is to use kits from completely different lines and manufacturers with completely different timings.

Edit: If you decide to go through with it anyway (still not sure why you would), the kit with the faster timings would need to be installed first, so that you can set them to the slower timings before you install the slower kit.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

You cannot guarantee it will work even with perfectly matched kits since some CPU+MoBo+DIMM combinations simply cannot reliably work with a full DIMM complement at normal clocks and timings.

Once the down-clocking card is in play, the number of possible combinations is much greater.

dosbequis

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
OK I see now. I will just buy one set of 16GB (2 x 8GB) now and if I for some reason want to expand memory I will get a 32GB (4 x 8GB) set. I don't foresee needing that much for quite a while, I just wanted to make sure I do this right so later on I don't say "I wish I had known that... " .

Can someone chime in on the two different sets I mentioned earlier, is the faster timing set worth the extra money?

G.SKILL Ares Series ($84.99-$10 coupon code) $74.99 ( Timing 10-10-10 Cas Latency 10 )
VS.
Crucial Ballistix $139.99 (Timing 8-8-8-24 Cas Latency 8 )

Or perhaps someone can recommend better manufacturer/series for 16GB...?

InvalidError

Titan

By the time you'll need 32GB RAM, I bet DDR3 prices will have ballooned like DDR2's have and it will be far more beneficial to upgrade to a DDR4 platform along the way.

dosbequis

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Good point ;)