Virgin Moible Broadband2go issue

Pre-installedUser

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Please overlook my putting this here if it isn't the correct forum or sub-category.

First let me say that I build and repair workstations, servers, and networks among the many things I do to provide food and shelter in support of my life. I'm not a newbie in terms of tech related issues and know my way around computers and networks.

I purchased a Virgin Mobile Broadband2go USB device yesterday and a $40 pre-paid card that would allow me unlimited internet access for 30 days.

I am running a PC with Windows 7 home premium with all of the latest patches and updates from M$ installed.

I have also successfully installed the software that is contained on the USB device. The device is recognized and there are no hardware or software issues to this point.

The problem I have is when I click the connect button I get the following error message:

"The system could not update the phone book file."

I have exhausted all online resources that address this issue and am at a loss as to what is causing this issue or how to correct it. I understand that it relates to the file rasphone.pbk which is located in my documents and settings files --> User name --> Application Data --> Microsoft --> Network --> Connections --> PBK --> rasphone.pbk

Has anyone else successfully installed and is using the Virgin Mobile Broadband2go device or a Sprint Broadband2go device on a Windows 7 machine? Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's network so I assume that the VM device is identical in terms of its design and software in regard to the Sprint device if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. The customer support phone bank located in the Philippines is of no help whatsoever and they merely read off of menu cards, having no idea what they're talking about, or of the hardware and software they're trying to troubleshoot. I've asked for a refund of the $40 pre-paid card and am waiting for a return call which will take 48-72 hours. Thought I'd try to see if I can get it resolved and working here first.

Again I thank you all in advance!

Hydroace

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I too had a problem with Windows 7 and Virgin Broadband2go - and finally got to the other side of it after their tech support made several inane suggestions (hire a computer technician, update your computer, call Microsoft, ...)

Some other symptoms of that problem show up elsewhere -
- The Events Viewer (Start menu -> Administrative tools -> Component Services -> Event Viewer) won't work beyond giving you an error message.
- You can't start the Remote Connection Manager in Component Services (Start menu -> Administrative tools -> Component Services)
- The 3G Connection Properties (Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Settings -> Properties) also throws an error message.

I found the following solution buried in a thread about a related problem. What finally worked was this:
Go to C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\. Inside it you'll find the folder RtBackup - rename it to RtBackup old. Reboot, and check to verify that Broadband2go works (as well as the Event Viewer, etc.), then delete RtBackup old.

Hope this helps.

eerl4

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I'd like to offer my 2 bits to the conversation. I tried to install the broadband2go software on my desktop running windows Vista SP2 and like many received an error stating that the software could not update the phone book. For me, the problem turned out to be that the Telephony and Remote Connection Manager services were set to disabled on my computer. Switching these to start automatically cleared up the problem. For those unfamiliar with the Services feature of XP, Vista, and I assume Windows 7 it can be accessed through the Start Menu => All Programs => Administrative Tools => Services. If you scroll down and right click on the Remote Access Connection Manager and click on the Dependencies tab you will see that in order for this service to function the Telephony and the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service must also be enabled. Make sure to set these both to start Automatically and reboot your machine. These required services should load automatically at startup. Good luck!

lorenzo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
The S.A. Young Law Firm, P.A. is a full service Immigration law firm dedicated to providing you with quality representation throughout the immigration process. We are experienced in all aspects of immigration procedures and would be happy to meet with you for a free, no-cost consultation.

We proudly serve the immigrant community by assisting non-United States citizens in obtaining lawful status in the United States. We pride ourselves on our professionalism and dedication to our clients.

court_3

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hi Guys, court from BareNuckle Info Security. If you are having trouble with the Virgin Mobile Broadband 2GO USB device's connectivity. Especially if it is looping directly to the uninstall/remove functionality as soon as you let the exe through upon installation of the drivers then it's a ROOTKIT. This rootkit definatly has frostwire somewhere in its vector but I'm not sure if it started there or not. Anyway, it will fall victim to Kasp's TDSSKILLER. Just Google Kaspersky TDSSKILLER and run the executable. Scan and then you can up/download the drivers and get connectivity...

tanalee

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Aloha, Hydroace.

You're my hero!

This worked for me in May 2012 with Hele MobiLink MiFi2200 in Hawaii. Good on you! Thanks!

Tana-Lee