Very confused and worried about 5770

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hello im really confused. I got 2 questions, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE answer both! I shall quote both seperately so you know there are 2 questions.

Ok Question 2)

This is a harder question, it is about dvi ports.

Ok so im going to buy one of those 2 5770's that i listed above. And im also going to buy this monitor.
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Monitors/22%26quot%3B+Monitors/22%22+Arianet+MN22AOCF22%2B+Widescreen+LCD+Monitor+?productId=41892

However im confused, do they both have to have dvi i/dvid/dvia? Is the 5770 dvia/i/d and is the monitor dvi/a/i/d? And if they are different, how do i connect them for example do i get a dvi i cable or something to connect a dvid 5770 and a dvi a monitor.

Im just really confused at this. Please focus more on this question.

Thank you!

pbnem

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
#1 - use a website that that allows you to compare like Newegg with consistant items being described.

#2 - You need to know what the card has and match the monitor and cable to it. Or if you have a monitor match the card and cable to it.

Main difference is the XFX model is a single slot card so will work in some situations better than the Dual slot model (ie. slim cases where there is not much room for the PCI-e card -- drawback is the fans are usually smaller and move less air causing slightly higher card temps but temps are not much of a problem with the low power draw of the 5770 !) - If you have the room I'd go for the MSI card personally. (but both are decent and should work well for you)

Ok Question 2)

This is a harder question, it is about dvi ports.

Ok so im going to buy one of those 2 5770's that i listed above. And im also going to buy this monitor.
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Monitors/22%26quot%3B+Monitors/22%22+Arianet+MN22AOCF22%2B+Widescreen+LCD+Monitor+?productId=41892

However im confused, do they both have to have dvi i/dvid/dvia? Is the 5770 dvia/i/d and is the monitor dvi/a/i/d? And if they are different, how do i connect them for example do i get a dvi i cable or something to connect a dvid 5770 and a dvi a monitor.

Im just really confused at this. Please focus more on this question.

Looks like both have DVId connections so should match up fine !

MSI CARD SPECS : Dual-Link DVI x 1
Monitor : 1x DVI-D Input
XFX Card : DL-DVI, DL-DVI

So all have Dual LInk DVI connectors.

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
few more questions if you dont mind.
1) What is dual link dvi
2) You say both have dvid connections, so is that both cards and the monitor?
3) Will the cable come with the monitor or graphics card or do i have to buy that seperately?

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
dual dvi is better then regular dvi, im pretty sure you can run two monitors off of a single dual dvi port

Dvi-d (Digital) is compatable with all of the other standards. so it doesn't matter what the monitor is be it dvi-a (analog) or dvi-d, it will work.

depending on what comes in the box with the GPU. check before you buy, but a dvi cable is no more then 12$

You might want to get a 5670 if your not planning on maxing out crysis as its a bit cheaper and can still play on high settings in most games and max in others.

Sorry - they all actually seem to have DVI -i I was mixing them up but the DVI-i is the one with the 2 rows of 8 pins and then the seperate side with the 5 pins which is what most Video cards and Monitors have.

For the other questions :

The difference between Single link and dual link is broken down as follows :
Dual Link: Dual T.D.M.S. (transition minimized differential signaling) "links". DVI can have up to two TMDS links. Each link has three data channels for RGB information with a maximum bandwidth of 165 MHz, which is equal to 165 million pixels per second. Dual-link connections provide bandwidth for resolutions up to 2048 x 1536p.
Single Link: Single T.D.M.S. link. Each link has three data channels for RGB information with a maximum bandwidth of 165 MHz, which is equal to 165 million pixels per second. Bandwidth for a single-link connection supports resolutions of over 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz (HDTV).

So dual link is needed for resolutions above 1920x1080.

And normally the cable is included with the monitor but not always so you may need to buy it if it is not included.

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I am getting a 5770 because my friend said i should get it so it lasts a long time.

the 5670 is pretty crap though. 5770 is only 13 pounds more or so :)

Anyways, so final question for reasurance. The monitor and both graphics card are dvi i right? And the cable from the monitor OR the graphics card will work on both right?

Yes - it should be fine the 5770 is designed to run on that type of monitor and and the cable that comes with the monitor will work correctly -- I have a system with a 5770 and an Acer 23" monitor very similar to the AOC and it was just plug and play and works well for pretty much all games I play. You should be happy with the combination.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished

I second that. I've got a single 5770 running an HP 2311x 23" 1080p monitor, and it does everything I want it to do, too. Sure, it may not be able to absolutely max EVERYTHING out, but it just isnt worth the extra money to me for an extra 10 fps.