Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

'With Revolution, we are determined to create the new capi..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:47:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Nintendo CEO, Satoru Iwata, on Revolution:


"With IBM, we are creating Revolution's core processor, which we have
codenamed "Broadway"-because Broadway is the capital of live
entertainment. With ATI, we are developing the graphics chipset,
code-named "Hollywood"-because Hollywood is the capital of movie
entertainment. With Revolution, we are determined to create the new
capital of interactive entertainment. Now, a couple of specifics.
First, contrary to much speculation, I can announce today that
Revolution will be backwards compatible. The best of the Nintendo
GameCube library will still be enjoyed by players years from now.
Second, as I said earlier, we intend to incorporate wireless technology
in all we do. Therefore, Nintendo Revolution will be Wi-Fi
enabled-built into every system. And third, even though the game
experience enjoyed by players will be far different on Revolution,
developing for it will be familiar. It will not require a steep new
learning curve. In this way, just like Nintendo DS, it's a place where
the best ideas- not the biggest budgets-will win."
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:19:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Anyone ever think the reason Nintendo keeps trying to "revolutionize" the
way we play games is because they can't compete with Sony and Microsoft.
Lets face it Nintendo has been on a downward slid since they told Sony to
take they CD add-on (later know as the Playstation) for the SNES and shove
it. Nintendo is trying to create a niche market, but they keep coming up
with gimmicky ideas that don't work. If it weren't for the Game Boy
Nintendo would have gone the way of Atari and Sega a long time ago. With
the release of the PSP I willing to bet Revolution will be Nintendo's last
console system.


--
Jeremy Lawson

<videogamedude@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110595639.814821.244880@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Nintendo CEO, Satoru Iwata, on Revolution:
>
>
> "With IBM, we are creating Revolution's core processor, which we have
> codenamed "Broadway"-because Broadway is the capital of live
> entertainment. With ATI, we are developing the graphics chipset,
> code-named "Hollywood"-because Hollywood is the capital of movie
> entertainment. With Revolution, we are determined to create the new
> capital of interactive entertainment. Now, a couple of specifics.
> First, contrary to much speculation, I can announce today that
> Revolution will be backwards compatible. The best of the Nintendo
> GameCube library will still be enjoyed by players years from now.
> Second, as I said earlier, we intend to incorporate wireless technology
> in all we do. Therefore, Nintendo Revolution will be Wi-Fi
> enabled-built into every system. And third, even though the game
> experience enjoyed by players will be far different on Revolution,
> developing for it will be familiar. It will not require a steep new
> learning curve. In this way, just like Nintendo DS, it's a place where
> the best ideas- not the biggest budgets-will win."
>
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:53:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Mr Lawson" <mrlawson@insightbb.com> wrote in message
news:999Zd.126834$tl3.84992@attbi_s02...
> Anyone ever think the reason Nintendo keeps trying to "revolutionize" the
> way we play games is because they can't compete with Sony and Microsoft.
> Lets face it Nintendo has been on a downward slid since they told Sony to
> take they CD add-on (later know as the Playstation) for the SNES and shove
> it. Nintendo is trying to create a niche market, but they keep coming up
> with gimmicky ideas that don't work. If it weren't for the Game Boy
> Nintendo would have gone the way of Atari and Sega a long time ago. With
> the release of the PSP I willing to bet Revolution will be Nintendo's last
> console system.
>
>
> --
> Jeremy Lawson

If that's the case then only Sony and Microsoft will be left... then all
hope will be lost.

>
> <videogamedude@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1110595639.814821.244880@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Nintendo CEO, Satoru Iwata, on Revolution:
>>
>>
>> "With IBM, we are creating Revolution's core processor, which we have
>> codenamed "Broadway"-because Broadway is the capital of live
>> entertainment. With ATI, we are developing the graphics chipset,
>> code-named "Hollywood"-because Hollywood is the capital of movie
>> entertainment. With Revolution, we are determined to create the new
>> capital of interactive entertainment. Now, a couple of specifics.
>> First, contrary to much speculation, I can announce today that
>> Revolution will be backwards compatible. The best of the Nintendo
>> GameCube library will still be enjoyed by players years from now.
>> Second, as I said earlier, we intend to incorporate wireless technology
>> in all we do. Therefore, Nintendo Revolution will be Wi-Fi
>> enabled-built into every system. And third, even though the game
>> experience enjoyed by players will be far different on Revolution,
>> developing for it will be familiar. It will not require a steep new
>> learning curve. In this way, just like Nintendo DS, it's a place where
>> the best ideas- not the biggest budgets-will win."
>>
>
>
Related resources
March 15, 2005 5:07:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

videogamedude@gmail.com wrote:
> Nintendo CEO, Satoru Iwata, on Revolution:

2005 Nintendo Propaganda snipped and replaced with 2002 Nintendo
goodness:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=3...

LOS ANGELES--May 21, 2002-- Incomparable 'Game Giants' Will Drive
Retail Sales; Unique Connectivity Will Expand Players' Dreams

The names are among the most familiar and honored in video game
history: Mario(TM), Zelda(TM), Metroid(R), Fox(R) McCloud.

In 2002 these 'Game Giants' collectively will form the most impressive
company game lineup in the history of the Electronic Entertainment Expo
(E3). Each is destined to generate retail mania -- and million-unit
worldwide sales -- upon arriving exclusively for NINTENDO GAMECUBE(TM)
in the coming months.

In addition, a brand new game -- Animal Crossing(TM) -- demonstrates
the promise of revolutionary new forms of game play not previously
possible. Animal Crossing exemplifies Nintendo's groundbreaking
proprietary 'connectivity' -- the expansion of game play not only
between the NINTENDO GAMECUBE console and the portable Game Boy(R)
Advance system, but also into the realm of collectable trading cards.

"Nintendo's belief that constant innovation and the highest quality
games are essential in truly serving our players has fueled our
prosperity in video gaming for two decades," says Peter MacDougall,
executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc.
"This year, as we combine new adventures starring our key franchise
characters, and witness the dawning of the connectivity generation,
we're delivering on that philosophy like never before. In a year driven
by software, we'll introduce the 'software of the year'."

Four of Nintendo's headliners arrive in brand-new adventures on
NINTENDO GAMECUBE:

-- In Super Mario Sunshine(TM), the world's most beloved plumber
arrives for a tropical vacation only to discover that his good name has
been soiled by adversaries and it's his job to clean up the mess.
Mario's vacation unfolds in August.

-- In Star Fox(R) Adventures, Rare Ltd. in cooperation with Nintendo
has created one of the most technologically advanced video games in
history, with a compelling and whimsical storyline that parallels a
feature film. This new adventure launches in September.

-- Fans around the world finally get the chance to find out what it
looks like to meet space pirates face-to-face as the Metroid franchise
gains first-person perspective with Metroid Prime(R) launching in
November.

-- This February, the elfin hero Link sports a brand-new look that
perfectly reflects his emotions throughout The Legend of Zelda(R), as
he embarks on an epic quest across land and sea to rescue his kidnapped
sister.

Younger gamers will cheer the first NINTENDO GAMECUBE incarnation of
the Mario Party(R) series as well as Disney's Magical Mirror Starring
Mickey Mouse. In addition, 1080(Degrees): White Storm(TM) amps up
mountainside mayhem, and Wario World(TM) gives Mario's alter ego his
first lead role on any console.

In total, Nintendo and third-party partners will exhibit titles that
expand Game Boy Advance's game portfolio to more than 300 titles, and
NINTENDO GAMECUBE's library to more than 150 titles by year end. While
affirming its unrivaled appeal to players of all ages, Nintendo is
aggressively moving forward with games designed for older audiences,
including NINTENDO GAMECUBE exclusives Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness:
Sanity's Requiem(TM), and Resident Evil 0 from Capcom.

Game Boy Advance, America's best-selling video game system, also
features new games starring Mario, Yoshi(TM), Link, Samus, Donkey
Kong(R), Kirby(TM), and Pokemon(R). Coupled with the new e-Reader
accessory, Game Boy Advance can transport passwords, game play items
and even music from specially embedded trading cards.

Nintendo's innovation extends to other important technology fronts this
year:

-- The WaveBird(TM) wireless controller for NINTENDO GAMECUBE promises
to perform the seemingly impossible -- banish game cables from the
family room floor.

-- Roll-o-Rama(TM) demonstrates built-in motion sensor technology for
Game Boy Advance, not only enabling the Game Boy Advance unit to act as
a controller for the console, but also allowing shared game play
between NINTENDO GAMECUBE and Game Boy Advance.

-- Phantasy Star Online(TM): Episode I & II from SEGA is the first game
to use NINTENDO GAMECUBE's capabilities for online play as Nintendo
prepares to launch its modem and broadband adapter this fall.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:27:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Mattinglyfan schrieb:

>> BUT, where is PSP's killer app? What is going to make Sony fans
>> pay $250 for a system with a low battery life? A bunch of early
>> developer support didn't help Dreamcast.

Well, maybe the mainstream has enough developer support with the EA
stuff that is out or announced?

> According to the pre-sale numbers, there are quite a few. Ridge
> Racers and Untold Legends are off the charts in terms of pre-sales.
> Not to mention that GTA will be a tremendous success. The pre-sale
> numbers of the system itself indicate that you are mistaken in more
> than one way.

Maybe because almost all retailers require preordering a game with the
hardware and people need a game to test the hardware anyway? At least
Japanese PSP game sale numbers don't look too good, and that while the
hardware is selling really well.

Jan
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:59:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In alt.games.video.xbox Jacob Oost <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> > It's sad to see them die, but they deserve it...they refused to cater
> > to what gamers want. And by gamers of course I mean non-Japanese.
> > :-)
> >

> You mean they refuse to cater to what *you* want, i.e. blood, boobs, and
> one-dimensional action games.

Hey, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Japanese gamers who want blood,
boobs and 1-dimensional action games too. ;) 

> > Not everyone cares about the blood type of every character in every
> > stinking game.

> Explain what that means.

He's referring to how many games that list a profile of their characters
includes their bloodtype. What the borderline racist poster doesn't
realize is that in Asian cultures, your bloodtype is equivelant to asking
for one's birth sign. It (supposedly) determines what sort of personality
you have, and what sorts of people you're supposed to be compatible with.

What this has to do with games, I don't know. Seems that the original
poster has a definite bias against things he doesn't fully understand, or
things he preceives as being "foreign".
March 16, 2005 2:36:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> In alt.games.video.xbox Jacob Oost <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
>
>>>It's sad to see them die, but they deserve it...they refused to cater
>>>to what gamers want. And by gamers of course I mean non-Japanese.
>>>:-)
>>>
>
>
>>You mean they refuse to cater to what *you* want, i.e. blood, boobs, and
>>one-dimensional action games.
>
>
> Hey, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Japanese gamers who want blood,
> boobs and 1-dimensional action games too. ;) 
>
>
>>>Not everyone cares about the blood type of every character in every
>>>stinking game.
>
>
>>Explain what that means.
>
>
> He's referring to how many games that list a profile of their characters
> includes their bloodtype. What the borderline racist poster doesn't
> realize is that in Asian cultures, your bloodtype is equivelant to asking
> for one's birth sign. It (supposedly) determines what sort of personality
> you have, and what sorts of people you're supposed to be compatible with.
>
> What this has to do with games, I don't know. Seems that the original
> poster has a definite bias against things he doesn't fully understand, or
> things he preceives as being "foreign".
>
>
That finally makes sense! four or five years ago, I couldn't figure out
why they had blood type listed in Final Fantasy Game books.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 4:28:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Jordan wrote:
> videogamedude@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Nintendo CEO, Satoru Iwata, on Revolution:
>
>
> 2005 Nintendo Propaganda snipped and replaced with 2002 Nintendo
> goodness:

Eh, what's your point here?

--

----- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK -----
Version 3.1
GAT d? !s !a C++++ UL+ P L++ E- W+ N+ o-- K- w--
O- !M !V PS-- PE++ Y+ PGP- t++>++++* 5? !X-- R- tv b++ DI+ D++
G e !h !r !y
...... END GEEK CODE BLOCK ----
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:05:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <aZLZd.2896$LI3.780@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
Jacob Oost <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>Jordan wrote:
>> videogamedude@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>Nintendo CEO, Satoru Iwata, on Revolution:
>>
>>
>> 2005 Nintendo Propaganda snipped and replaced with 2002 Nintendo
>> goodness:
>
>Eh, what's your point here?

We've heard this "revolution" talk before seems to be the obvious one.

==========
Steve Liu
"I know I should not eat thee... Mmm, sacrilicious..." - Homer Simpson
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:15:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Steve Liu <koalatek@radix.net> wrote:

> We've heard this "revolution" talk before seems to be the obvious one.

Yep. Same hype, different year, different platform.

Sony's been making many of the same claims when comparing the PS2 to the
PS3 that they did when comparing the PS1 to the PS2. Microsoft is also
making the same claims about Xennon they made about Xbox.

Someone needs to give the marketting departments a collective knock to the
head - they're all stuck in a rut...in a rut...in a rut.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:47:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Steve Liu wrote:
> We've heard this "revolution" talk before seems to be the obvious one.

I disagree, talking about what's new is not the same thing as talking
about a revolution in gaming. I don't recall any such talk before or
after the release of Gamecube, and I read every single press release and
news story that could possibly apply. The last time Nintendo talked
about revolutionizing anything it was before Super Mario 64 debuted at
Shoshinkai.

--

----- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK -----
Version 3.1
GAT d? !s !a C++++ UL+ P L++ E- W+ N+ o-- K- w--
O- !M !V PS-- PE++ Y+ PGP- t++>++++* 5? !X-- R- tv b++ DI+ D++
G e !h !r !y
...... END GEEK CODE BLOCK ----
!