Sign in with
Your question

Memtest result, curious.

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
September 2, 2012 11:32:38 AM

Sup?

I've posted in other sections about having ''VPU recover'' and ''AMD display driver has recovered'' issues at least 20 times in a 2 hour period whenever I try to game. I also have a history of BSOD when I first got the machine, memory management, irql not less or equal seemed to be frequent offenders with ntsokrnl and my display drivers the culprit but a number of others too. I've replaced my GPU and PSU, and FuMark runs fine. I've followed nearly every fix going, from refomatting and installing a new OS (6 times now.) to flashing the bios to removing my soundcard or disabiling onboard sound to buying a new keyboard/mouse. Temps fine, uninstalled and installed drivers correctly etc etc

Now, after running memtest overnight in dual channel for 12hours I had a minimal...5 errors. 1 from test/pass 1 itself and the other 4 from test/pass 7 I believe, but don't quote me on that as I didn't specifically look before I rebooted the system. Prior to that I ran the ram in single channel but both sticks and got 3 errors in 2 hours. Is this enough to be causing ALL my problems with the display driver? Hell, I played Arma 2 on the lowest settings, at 800x600 res and it crashed in 30 seconds after getting in game. Usually in between crashes it's 30-60fps at max on 1080p. When on XP however it lasts longer, Fifa 12 doesn't actually crash at all at a solid 60fps and i'm presuming in my naivete thats because XP uses a lot less RAM than Win7 thus rarely touches the part of the RAM with the error? (thats my laymans explanation)

I've ordered new RAM anyway, a Corsair Vengeance kit, and my warranty is up so I'm not bothered about testing each stick and replacing the faulty one as it's only Geil value ram and I want to upgrade anyway. My biggest fear however is that Geil ram is fine and it's my mobo itself or something else causing the issue. I'd expect to get 1,000 errors for the amount of issues i'm having, not just...5. or 3.

So for memtest gurus...what do you think?

More about : memtest result curious

September 2, 2012 12:15:51 PM

If your memory was giving errors in memtest, then you were right to rma it. It would be very likely to cause your issues. The only way to be sure though, is to test it with some good RAM.
September 2, 2012 8:36:06 PM

Awesome.

If it isn't the RAM, i'm screwed though. The only 2 things I haven't replaced are my mobo and CPU...
September 4, 2012 9:23:41 PM

Double post, sue me.

New RAM arrived, played Arma 2 for a hour with no crash. Gonna try dead island now but the problem seems sorted! Touch wood!
!