Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can cpu XX

Last response: in CPUs
November 28, 2011 4:22:09 AM

I want to acquire a tablet (specifically the MSI Windpad 110W-014US) for playing the new elder scrolls V: Skyrim on it.
The recommended/minimum specs for a pc capable of playing Skyrim are as follows:

Recommended Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4GB System RAM
6GB free HDD space
DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher (i.e GTX550Ti); ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

the specs for the Windpad are here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

I believe the windpad meets most of the reccommended specs including the amd cpu, but what I want to know is since the amd cpu is only a dual core 1ghz processor, could it handle skyrim w/out Lag?

CPU Type
AMD Z-Series

CPU Speed
Z-01(1.0GHz)

CPU L2 Cache
1MB

Tech
Dual-Core Accelerated Processor

please & thankyou for any help provided

More about : cpu

November 28, 2011 4:37:48 AM

First off, it only has 32GB of HDD space (in a SSD) so by the time you install the game, Windows is going to start struggling if you put much more data on it. Also, the CPU and graphics card in that would seem to buckle under Skyrim and I'm not even sure they meet the minimum requirements. So in short, that would not be an ideal tablet to play that game on.
Score
a c 126 à CPUs
November 28, 2011 4:43:48 AM

No chance to play it without poor frame rates.

They state dual core @ 2.0GHZ so dual core @ 1.0 will not cut it.

The video ram on that tablet is also shared and will be much slower then video cards with dedicated memory.
Score
Related resources
a c 472 à CPUs
November 28, 2011 5:05:58 AM

Stick with games like Plants vs. Zombies for tablets.

To get your Elder Scrolls fix, you can try installing Morrowind on it.

Or at least get a laptop that's capable of playing some games.
Score
a c 83 à CPUs
November 28, 2011 7:10:01 AM

I can't even imagine trying to play a game like that on a tablet, not only are they not powerful enough, the controls on a touch screen would be absolute garbage. What is the point of a tablet if you need to attach keyboard/mouse?

In short tablets are designed for basic apps, very simple games(like cell phones run), internet browsing, and not much else. lol
Score
November 28, 2011 4:24:04 PM

so perhaps its a bad idea for the wind pad, but my dream remains the same (mobile Skyrim). I know there are more powerful tablet/slate pcs out there, and I thought the windpad would do the trick but if not, does anyone have any suggestions?
I have a laptop thats capable of running skyrim already so this is just a test of sorts to see if I could find something capable of running powerful games while mobile.

So next question: Is there ANY tablet/slate pc/mobile ipad/etc that meets or exceeds the specs required to run skyrim OR is there a website or place that allows a tablet/slate to be custom built to custom specs?

(Example: I think this tablet could do the job if it had upgraded memory, and also wasnt quite so expensive lol)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769671-REG/Fujits...

Or this one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/780128-REG/Lenovo...
Score
a c 472 à CPUs
November 28, 2011 9:12:57 PM

Those are better since it has a Core i5 mobile CPU. But they rely on the Intel HD 3000 graphic core. According to the written comments in the following Youtube video, the poster stated using low graphic settings Skyrim is playable with frames rates ranging between 20 - 35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJuBfrDa8lo&feature=rela...
Score
November 29, 2011 6:08:35 PM

jaguarskx said:
Those are better since it has a Core i5 mobile CPU. But they rely on the Intel HD 3000 graphic core. According to the written comments in the following Youtube video, the poster stated using low graphic settings Skyrim is playable with frames rates ranging between 20 - 35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJuBfrDa8lo&feature=rela...

What about a quad core tablet?(http://blogs.computerworld.com/19245/asus_transformer_p...)Does anyone think this would do the trick with 2 gigs of RAM and an integrated gpu? How about 4gigs of ram w/ an integrated gpu?
Score
a c 472 à CPUs
November 29, 2011 9:24:06 PM

That's an Android table and the CPU / GPU is weaker than a core i5.
Score
November 30, 2011 10:42:05 PM

but I thought the quad cores (each at 1.3 or something) would be cumulative at 3.9-5.2ghz when running a game? Is this not the case??
Score
a c 126 à CPUs
November 30, 2011 11:00:57 PM

It is not and never will be the case.

When dual core came out. many did not see a use to switch since most dual cores had a lower speed and thereby performed slower on any software that would not use both cores.

Extra cores can help, but they still need to be fast enough for the required program/game.

To this end, a e6850(3.0 dual) was faster in most games then a Q6600(2.4 quad). There are some games that did use the extra cores(lost planet comes to mind). Picked older cpu's because they are the same core types, so its a fair comparison. either way, when the quad core was faster, it was not 2x faster.

Score

Best solution

a c 472 à CPUs
December 1, 2011 12:46:31 AM

keromonkey said:
but I thought the quad cores (each at 1.3 or something) would be cumulative at 3.9-5.2ghz when running a game? Is this not the case??

It does not work that way. Think of the cores in a CPU as a highway with a 65MPH limit. Whether you are driving on a 1,2,3 or 4 lane highway the speed limit is always 65MPH (unless of course you want a speeding ticket).

Consider cars to be sets of instructions that the CPU needs to process. The amount of time to process the instructions is the distance each car must travel from point A to point B, and all cars must reach point B before the process is completed. In a single lane highway cars would leave point A and arrive at point B one at a time. Since the speed limit is set to 65MPH, the only way to improve the flow of traffic (or the processing of data) a 2nd lane can be added, now two cars can leave point A and arrive at point B at the same time. Increasing the highway to 4 lanes means 4 cars can leave point A and arrive at point B at the same time. No matter how many lanes the highway has, you are always limited to 65MPH; having 4 lanes does not mean the speed limit is 260MPH.

Just because a computer has a 4 core CPU, that does not mean all programs will run on all 4 cores. Programs (including games) must be designed to take advantage of multiple cores. At the moment most games only use 2 cores, but there are some that are capable of using 3 or 4 cores.

a c 126 à CPUs
December 1, 2011 2:30:19 AM

jaguarskx said:
It does not work that way. Think of the cores in a CPU as a highway with a 65MPH limit. Whether you are driving on a 1,2,3 or 4 lane highway the speed limit is always 65MPH (unless of course you want a speeding ticket).

Overclocking is like speeding right :) 

very good way to describe it.
Score
December 1, 2011 2:30:55 PM

Ah, so each (or at least 1) core would have 2 travel at a speed of 2-4 ghz individually for it to be capable of meeting Skyrims req.s still. Overlocking might help a 1.6 ghz core meet this goal but probly isn't the best thing to do to a tablet because of overheating and extra sensitive/tiny equipment (i'd guess).

Plus, skyrim is probably only built to rely on dual core so that means 2 cores would remain unused & irrelevant in terms of skyrim's operations. Thank you for putting that in perspective.

But this gives me another theoretical question, sans/without being a game developer, is there no way to have cores 3 & 4 do some work to take the burden off of cores 1 & 2? (Like having core 3 take care of antialiasing & core 4 take care of shadows, water, distance & rendering, while core 1 loads NPCs & quests)?
Score
a c 126 à CPUs
December 1, 2011 4:12:49 PM

The game would have to be programmed that way. It is something that can be done.

Most times they will take lets say AI and stick it on its own core and stuff like that, but if the game is not designed to work that way, then the other cores sit with nothing to do.

On that note, some older games used to actually crash in presence of multi core systems.

Software development is hard at times in the ever changing world of computers.
Score
December 8, 2011 3:52:55 PM

Best answer selected by keromonkey.
Score
December 8, 2011 3:56:12 PM

Than I suppose that answeres most of my questions, thank you very much nuke master, jaguar & everyone else who has helped with the answer
Score
!