Square wave inverter feeding a power line conditioner

Alaskan

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I'm setting up a simple battery-powered inverter to handle rudimentary home furnace needs in case of a loss of household power. My inverter is an old Tripp-Lite Model SB-1000G STANDBY POWER SUPPLY removed from an ambulance about 20 years ago. For batteries I'll be using two 6v golf cart batteries in series.

This unit charges the batteries from the incoming AC line -- and simultaneously feeds AC straight thru to the AC output socket -- until the incoming AC quits, whereupon it instantly switches to 12v battery/inverter power feeding that same AC output socket. (I'll use a portable generator to recharge the batteries in case of an extended outage.)

The SB-1000G has the words "INVERTER POWER SQUARE WAVE" next to a status light, which makes me curious if it's a stepped square wave or a genuine square wave. Guess I'll need to borrow an oscilloscope to find out. From prior experience 15 years ago I do know that this unit will happily power a desktop computer plus a CRT monitor.

My question is, would such a square wave harm the two AC motors in my hydronic (circulating hot water) household furnace? The circulating pump is 85 watts and the furnace blower is about 120 watts.

I also have a Tripp-Lite LC-1200 LINE CONDITIONER which I could use to clean up the square wave if that is feasible and necessary, so question #2 is, would the line conditioner harm the inverter or vice versa?