Sign in with
Your question

[Please Help] Will My Motherboard Support AMD 8-Core Processor ?

Last response: in CPUs
November 28, 2011 5:40:28 AM

Hi, I Am Thinking To Update My Gaming Rig.

I am thinking to buy AMD 8-Core Processor [Which Is Named "AMD Bulldozer" I Think]

I Have :-

2*2GB = 4GB Crossair Ram
500 GB * 2 = 1TB HDD
Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3 Motherboard [ Upgraded To Bios Ver F4c ]
ATI Raedon HD 5770 1GB-DDR5 Graphics Card
700W Cooler Master Silent Pro SMPS

Please Tell Me Please Will My "Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3" Motherboard Support 8-Core AMD Processors , If Yes Which Processor Model Is Best To Buy For Gaming And Huge Multitasking.

Also Please Tell When Will "8-Core AMD Processors" Will Arrive In INDIA .

More about : motherboard support amd core processor

a c 83 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
November 28, 2011 5:49:02 AM

Quick google search brought this up.
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3317
If that is indeed your motherboard, than no it doesn't support Bulldozer(aka the FX series processors) The majority of AM3 motherboards won't support Bulldozer because they require the AM3+ socket. It isn't any better for gaming than a Phenom II X4, the majority of games cannot utilize more than the 4 cores a Phenom II X4 has, and IPC if actually lower. IPC = instructions per clock, what that means is a 3.6Ghz Phenom II X4 is faster than a 4 core FX 4100 at 3.6Ghz. Bulldozer is primarily useful in only the 8 core variant for highly threaded applications, and even with higher clock speeds it isn't much faster than Phenom II X6 at most tasks.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a c 122 À AMD
November 29, 2011 1:28:40 AM

Yeah, games only use up to 4 cores, and they don't even use the 4th core efficiently.

Based on an Anandtech CPU scaling article about games that can use 4 cores, going from a CPU with 2 cores to 3 core increases performance on average by 27%. Going from 3 cores to 4 cores yielded on average a 6% increase in performance.

If you do not use any applications that can must more than 4 cores, then that basically means the 5th to 8th will never be utilized unless you are running multiple programs (that can use multiple cores) at the same time.
m
l
Related resources
!