ATI DVI to HDMI with audio question

Hi, I have an ATI HD4870 and I am using a DVI to HDMI cable to output video and audio to my LCD TV at 1080p 60Hz. Someone recently told me that DVI to HDMI is limited to 720p, that even if the settings are for 1080p the quality is only 720p, is there any truth in this?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about hdmi audio question
  1. That's a first. Never heard that before.

Best way to remove this myth is to go in a game and set the resolution to 720p. After that set the resolution to 1080p. If you see a difference then that person is wrong(you will).

I have been running my TV as a monitor at 1080p with dvi-hdmi adapter for some time now. Never heard or experienced this limit you are concerned about.

You have bean misinformed.

PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Specifications

Also don't buy the cheapest HDMI cable, buy a thicker, better insulated one. (even if more expensive, less signal and quality loss)
  2. undefauth said:
    Hi, I have an ATI HD4870 and I am using a DVI to HDMI cable to output video and audio to my LCD TV at 1080p 60Hz. Someone recently told me that DVI to HDMI is limited to 720p, that even if the settings are for 1080p the quality is only 720p, is there any truth in this?

Thanks

4870 can do 1080P w/ audio @ HDMI. For it to work you should use ATI provided DVI-HDMI converter/adapter. Other adapter won't work.

Call the GPU manufacturer(i.e. diamondmm, xfx, asus) and it will mail you the ATI DVI-HDMI converter.

I tried this on 3800, 4800... and I have 3 4890s all w/ HDMI 1080P with audio working.
  3. You will be able to get 1080p using a DVI to HDMI adapter. However, since DVI does not support audio there will be no sound.
  4. Yea I'm already using a non-ATI dvi-hdmi cable, its working fine with audio although I did read before that it doesn't always work if it isn't ATI. I was just curious about the actual capability. Thanks for the replies.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Audio DVI HDMI ATI Graphics