Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RPG games with NPC banter

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:29:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
NPCs in the party.

Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
character interaction?

I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind, Sacred,
or even older games like Fallout?

More about : rpg games npc banter

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 8:56:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

David Lawrence <dnjlaw@verizon.net> wrote:
: One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
: interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
: NPCs in the party.

: Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
: character interaction?

: I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind, Sacred,
: or even older games like Fallout?

Definitely not Morrowind (no concept of a party) and not Fallout, either. Some characters have one or
two stock lines they'll say in Fallout, but there's nothing remotely like it that I've seen in a
non-Infinity Engine game.

Modders do keep working at adding banter to both BG2 and now BG1, but, yeah, it doesn't seem to get a
lot of uptake in other titles.

--
Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 5:28:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

David Lawrence wrote:
> One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
> interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the
> various NPCs in the party.
>
> Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar
> level of character interaction?
>
> I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
> Sacred, or even older games like Fallout?

I played the demo of sacred and it didn't look like there would be any of
that. I t ws very much like Diablo II.

Devast8or
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 10:57:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

"David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:8Glcd.2485$B34.1647@trndny02...
>
> Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
> character interaction?
>

Have you played Planescape ? Funny enough it's such a
classic the copies on Ebay are going for more than the
RRP when it was released :-)

It is just about the best game ever for character banter.

"Time is not your enemy - forever is"

--
Edward Cowling - London - UK
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:32:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:29:08 GMT, "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net>
wrote:

>One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
>interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
>NPCs in the party.
>
>Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
>character interaction?
>

The Hordes of the Underdark expansion for NWN is pretty good in this
respect; much better than the original game.


--
Hong Ooi | "My hate of d02 know no limit"
hong@zipworld.com.au | -- asw, on rpg.net
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ |
Sydney, Australia |
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:32:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

"Hong Ooi" <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message
news:m1m4n0hue1lh1a4l6fal8vtcfu2194per3@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:29:08 GMT, "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net>
> wrote:
*snip*
> >Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
> >character interaction?
> >
>
> The Hordes of the Underdark expansion for NWN is pretty good in this
> respect; much better than the original game.
>
*snip*

That's good to hear. One of the reasons I've been reluctant to get NWN is
because the single-player campaign sounded more like a one-person show. I'm
glad that one of the expansions tries to change that a little.

It's *so* much more fun (and replayable) when a game throws some NPC
personalities into the mix. Perhaps the only reason I still play BG2 is try
out different party combinations.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 11:57:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:28:41 +0200, "Devast8or"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>David Lawrence wrote:
>> One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
>> interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the
>> various NPCs in the party.
>>
>> Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar
>> level of character interaction?
>>
>> I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
>> Sacred, or even older games like Fallout?
>
>I played the demo of sacred and it didn't look like there would be any of
>that. I t ws very much like Diablo II.
>
>Devast8or
>

Definitely not in Sacred - the 'party' concept is pretty much you and
whatever sad soul you have to cart from 'a' to 'b' ...

Games with no party concept - Morrowind, Diablo & clones, Gothic I &
II, Arx Fatalis, NWN, and so on ... no NPC banter.

NWN expansion HotU has bits, enough that you notice, not enough to
mean all that much ...

Mike
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 5:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

Knights of the Old Republic certainly has the NPC banter and some of it are
quite funny.



"David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:8Glcd.2485$B34.1647@trndny02...
> One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
> interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
> NPCs in the party.
>
> Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
> character interaction?
>
> I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
> Sacred,
> or even older games like Fallout?
>
>
>
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 6:27:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:42:01 GMT, "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net>
wrote:

>
>"Hong Ooi" <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message
>news:m1m4n0hue1lh1a4l6fal8vtcfu2194per3@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:29:08 GMT, "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>*snip*
>> >Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
>> >character interaction?
>> >
>>
>> The Hordes of the Underdark expansion for NWN is pretty good in this
>> respect; much better than the original game.
>>
>*snip*
>
>That's good to hear. One of the reasons I've been reluctant to get NWN is
>because the single-player campaign sounded more like a one-person show. I'm
>glad that one of the expansions tries to change that a little.

Fair warning: HotU only lets you have 2 NPCs at any one time....


--
Hong Ooi | "My hate of d02 know no limit"
hong@zipworld.com.au | -- asw, on rpg.net
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ |
Sydney, Australia |
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 2:52:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:02:09 GMT, "RA" <asdf@ra.com> wrote:

>Knights of the Old Republic certainly has the NPC banter and some of it are
>quite funny.
>
>
>
>"David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net> wrote in message
>news:8Glcd.2485$B34.1647@trndny02...
>> One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
>> interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
>> NPCs in the party.
>>
>> Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
>> character interaction?
>>
>> I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
>> Sacred,
>> or even older games like Fallout?

There is one in particular between two female NPC's that I seem to get
on Tatooine each time that still makes me laugh out loud ...

.... and some between a female a walking carpet ...

Mike
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 1:55:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

David Lawrence wrote:
> One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
> interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the
> various NPCs in the party.
>
> Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar
> level of character interaction?
>
> I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
> Sacred, or even older games like Fallout?

The answer to this is too obvious.

Alright...in case it's not obvious enough,,,PlaneScape: Torment. That game
is primarily plot and NPC banter oriented, rather than combat (the opposite
of Icewind Dale). Take your time through the game, read and take in all the
fantastic text.

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: aziz@aziz1removethisbit.fsnet.co.uk
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 2:34:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

Hong Ooi scrawled the following into the Great Almanac of
alt.games.baldurs-gate:

> Fair warning: HotU only lets you have 2 NPCs at any one time....

Does it improve henchmen control in any way? If not, I wouldn't take
*one* NPC along, much less two, considering how idiotic and unresponsive
they were in the OC.


--
Sarah Jaernecke
Nightfire --==(UDIC)==--
"If a tree falls in the forest... I'll kill the bastard what done it!"
- Jaheira, Baldur's Gate
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 1:02:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

> > Fair warning: HotU only lets you have 2 NPCs at any one time....
>
> Does it improve henchmen control in any way? If not, I wouldn't take
> *one* NPC along, much less two, considering how idiotic and unresponsive
> they were in the OC.

Improved since SoU.

1. You can access your henchmen's inventory.
2. You can still issue commands to them like in OC: Stand ground, Attack
nearest, Follow me, Guard me, etc.
3. You can ask them to cast a spell via dialog. But you can't control what
spells they should prepare... so this is more useful for sorcerer henchmen
than wizard.
4. You can affect how they level up... e.g. You can tell them to level up
only in a certain class, or both, if they're already multiclassing.
5. You can give general guidelines on how they use spells... e.g. Don't hold
back, or reserve spells for big bad boss, or cast only when specifically
asked to (via dialog or heal me command)
6. You can control their weapon preference - ranged or melee. They will
switch to melee when foes close in.
7. You can control how often they try to heal you - as a percentage.

Henchmen are worth it in HotU... not only for the combat, but also for some
conversations. The little kobold from SoU is a very funny side kick to have.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 11:42:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:34:35 +0200, Sarah Jaernecke
<nightfire.udic@web.de> wrote:

>Hong Ooi scrawled the following into the Great Almanac of
>alt.games.baldurs-gate:
>
>> Fair warning: HotU only lets you have 2 NPCs at any one time....
>
>Does it improve henchmen control in any way? If not, I wouldn't take
>*one* NPC along, much less two, considering how idiotic and unresponsive
>they were in the OC.

I just finished replaying NWN all the way through HotU, and am now
replaying BG2. I like the HotU henchmen system best of the NWN bunch,
as it does give a much better sense of a 'team'. But it is not like
BG2 in terms of directly controlling battle actions - and certainly
not like KotOR where you can switch your main character. It is very
much main character & henchmen rather than 'party' concept.

Mike
!