RPG games with NPC banter

One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
NPCs in the party.

Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
character interaction?

I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind, Sacred,
or even older games like Fallout?
13 answers Last reply
More about games banter
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    David Lawrence <dnjlaw@verizon.net> wrote:
    : One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
    : interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
    : NPCs in the party.

    : Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
    : character interaction?

    : I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind, Sacred,
    : or even older games like Fallout?

    Definitely not Morrowind (no concept of a party) and not Fallout, either. Some characters have one or
    two stock lines they'll say in Fallout, but there's nothing remotely like it that I've seen in a
    non-Infinity Engine game.

    Modders do keep working at adding banter to both BG2 and now BG1, but, yeah, it doesn't seem to get a
    lot of uptake in other titles.

    --
    Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    David Lawrence wrote:
    > One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
    > interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the
    > various NPCs in the party.
    >
    > Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar
    > level of character interaction?
    >
    > I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
    > Sacred, or even older games like Fallout?

    I played the demo of sacred and it didn't look like there would be any of
    that. I t ws very much like Diablo II.

    Devast8or
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
    > character interaction?

    Have you played Planescape ? Funny enough it's such a
    classic the copies on Ebay are going for more than the
    RRP when it was released :-)

    It is just about the best game ever for character banter.

    "Time is not your enemy - forever is"

    --
    Edward Cowling - London - UK
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:29:08 GMT, "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
    >interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
    >NPCs in the party.
    >
    >Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
    >character interaction?

    The Hordes of the Underdark expansion for NWN is pretty good in this
    respect; much better than the original game.

    --
    Hong Ooi | "My hate of d02 know no limit"
    hong@zipworld.com.au | -- asw, on rpg.net

    "Hong Ooi" <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:29:08 GMT, "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net>
    > wrote:
    *snip*
    > >Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
    > >character interaction?
    > >

    > The Hordes of the Underdark expansion for NWN is pretty good in this
    > respect; much better than the original game.

    *snip*

    That's good to hear. One of the reasons I've been reluctant to get NWN is
    because the single-player campaign sounded more like a one-person show. I'm
    glad that one of the expansions tries to change that a little.

    It's *so* much more fun (and replayable) when a game throws some NPC
    personalities into the mix. Perhaps the only reason I still play BG2 is try
    out different party combinations.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:28:41 +0200, "Devast8or"
    <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >David Lawrence wrote:
    >> One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
    >> interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the
    >> various NPCs in the party.
    >>
    >> Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar
    >> level of character interaction?
    >>
    >> I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
    >> Sacred, or even older games like Fallout?
    >
    >I played the demo of sacred and it didn't look like there would be any of
    >that. I t ws very much like Diablo II.
    >
    >Devast8or

    Definitely not in Sacred - the 'party' concept is pretty much you and
    whatever sad soul you have to cart from 'a' to 'b' ...

    Games with no party concept - Morrowind, Diablo & clones, Gothic I &
    II, Arx Fatalis, NWN, and so on ... no NPC banter.

    NWN expansion HotU has bits, enough that you notice, not enough to
    mean all that much ...

    Mike
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Knights of the Old Republic certainly has the NPC banter and some of it are
    quite funny.

    "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
    > interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
    > NPCs in the party.
    >
    > Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
    > character interaction?
    >
    > I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
    > Sacred,
    > or even older games like Fallout?

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:42:01 GMT, "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >"Hong Ooi" <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:29:08 GMT, "David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net>
    >> wrote:
    >*snip*
    >> >Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
    >> >character interaction?
    >> >

    >> The Hordes of the Underdark expansion for NWN is pretty good in this
    >> respect; much better than the original game.
    >>
    >*snip*
    >
    >That's good to hear. One of the reasons I've been reluctant to get NWN is
    >because the single-player campaign sounded more like a one-person show. I'm
    >glad that one of the expansions tries to change that a little.

    Fair warning: HotU only lets you have 2 NPCs at any one time....

    --
    Hong Ooi | "My hate of d02 know no limit"
    hong@zipworld.com.au | -- asw, on rpg.net
    http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ |
    Sydney, Australia |
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:02:09 GMT, "RA" <asdf@ra.com> wrote:

    >Knights of the Old Republic certainly has the NPC banter and some of it are
    >quite funny.
    >

    >"David Lawrence" <dnjlaw@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
    >> interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the various
    >> NPCs in the party.
    >>
    >> Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar level of
    >> character interaction?
    >>
    >> I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
    >> Sacred,
    >> or even older games like Fallout?

    There is one in particular between two female NPC's that I seem to get
    on Tatooine each time that still makes me laugh out loud ...

    .... and some between a female a walking carpet ...

    Mike
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    David Lawrence wrote:
    > One of the things I've always enjoyed about BG2 is the character
    > interaction, esp. the banter that crops up between the PC and the
    > various NPCs in the party.
    >
    > Can any of you recommend other computer RPGs that have a similar
    > level of character interaction?
    >
    > I've heard Knights of the Old Republic has it; how about Morrowind,
    > Sacred, or even older games like Fallout?

    The answer to this is too obvious.

    Alright...in case it's not obvious enough,,,PlaneScape: Torment. That game
    is primarily plot and NPC banter oriented, rather than combat (the opposite
    of Icewind Dale). Take your time through the game, read and take in all the
    fantastic text.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: aziz@aziz1removethisbit.fsnet.co.uk
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hong Ooi scrawled the following into the Great Almanac of
    alt.games.baldurs-gate:

    > Fair warning: HotU only lets you have 2 NPCs at any one time....

    Does it improve henchmen control in any way? If not, I wouldn't take
    *one* NPC along, much less two, considering how idiotic and unresponsive
    they were in the OC.

    --
    Sarah Jaernecke
    Nightfire --==(UDIC)==--

    > > Fair warning: HotU only lets you have 2 NPCs at any one time....
    >
    > Does it improve henchmen control in any way? If not, I wouldn't take
    > *one* NPC along, much less two, considering how idiotic and unresponsive
    > they were in the OC.

    Improved since SoU.

    1. You can access your henchmen's inventory.
    2. You can still issue commands to them like in OC: Stand ground, Attack
    nearest, Follow me, Guard me, etc.
    3. You can ask them to cast a spell via dialog. But you can't control what
    spells they should prepare... so this is more useful for sorcerer henchmen
    than wizard.
    4. You can affect how they level up... e.g. You can tell them to level up
    only in a certain class, or both, if they're already multiclassing.
    5. You can give general guidelines on how they use spells... e.g. Don't hold
    back, or reserve spells for big bad boss, or cast only when specifically
    asked to (via dialog or heal me command)
    6. You can control their weapon preference - ranged or melee. They will
    switch to melee when foes close in.
    7. You can control how often they try to heal you - as a percentage.

    Henchmen are worth it in HotU... not only for the combat, but also for some
    conversations. The little kobold from SoU is a very funny side kick to have.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:34:35 +0200, Sarah Jaernecke
    <nightfire.udic@web.de> wrote:

    >Hong Ooi scrawled the following into the Great Almanac of
    >alt.games.baldurs-gate:
    >
    >> Fair warning: HotU only lets you have 2 NPCs at any one time....
    >
    >Does it improve henchmen control in any way? If not, I wouldn't take
    >*one* NPC along, much less two, considering how idiotic and unresponsive
    >they were in the OC.

    I just finished replaying NWN all the way through HotU, and am now
    replaying BG2. I like the HotU henchmen system best of the NWN bunch,
    as it does give a much better sense of a 'team'. But it is not like
    BG2 in terms of directly controlling battle actions - and certainly
    not like KotOR where you can switch your main character. It is very
    much main character & henchmen rather than 'party' concept.

    Mike

Games RPG Video Games