Sign in with
Your question

Need opinions on AMD build and upgrade path (First build)

Last response: in Systems
August 29, 2011 6:00:04 AM

I am planning an AMD build with hopes of upgrading particular parts such as the CPU and video card later on down the line. This is my first build, so any and all information and opinions are welcome. My current build looks like this.

CPU
AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3GHz Triple-Core 95W AM3 $80

MotherBoard
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ 760G M-ATX $60

Ram
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz $45

Storage
Samsung F3 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s $53

Optical Drive
ASUS SATA 24XDVD Burner $21

Power Supply
SilverStone Strider 500W, 80 PLUS, Active PFC Power Supply ST50F-ES (Black) $60

Case
Antec Three Hundred Illusion 3x120mm $70

I am looking to get the computer running as cheaply and as soon as possible, and would like to attempt at using any replaced parts I can in a second computer.

Now the motherboard comes with an integrated video card so I can hold off and buy the final video card a little bit down the road. The one I currently have listed is

Video Card
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 $175

I would not mind spending more then this for a card, since I don't need one right off the bat. this simply is the one I have picked for now. Also this motherboard will be able to support bulldozer when it comes out when I can afford it of course. I would not mind hearing of any other starting motherboard, cpu, video card combos that anyone can recommend.

Please let me know if I am missing anything or way off base, also thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 29, 2011 6:44:46 AM

That has to be about the cheapest way to get a running system with upgrade potential .

If it is just for gaming you only need a 2 x2 gig kit of RAM so that can save you some money

You havent mentioned Windows 7 64 bit oem . Thats a cost too .
But if you cant afford it now then you could run using Ubuntu Linux .
Its good , has lots of included software .... and its free

If you possibly can spend another $50 and save about $20 on the RAM ,then you could get
ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and scavenge any second hand pci-e graphics card to get it running

Thats likely to give you a longer life and better performance
August 29, 2011 6:52:20 AM

I plan to use a ubuntu boot cd for a bit, and then when I get a chance I would like to run a dual boot ubuntu/windows 7.

I wouldn't mind putting in that motherboard do you have any suggestions on a cheap video card as a place holder?

Also I didn't notice that the ASUS M5A97 had 4 slots for Ram i think I will start with a 2 x 2 and make the RAM and upgrade later on as well. However I do not seem to be able to find any 2 x 2 that would be worth the savings.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 29, 2011 8:07:45 PM

arrogantname said:
I plan to use a ubuntu boot cd for a bit, and then when I get a chance I would like to run a dual boot ubuntu/windows 7.

I wouldn't mind putting in that motherboard do you have any suggestions on a cheap video card as a place holder?

Also I didn't notice that the ASUS M5A97 had 4 slots for Ram i think I will start with a 2 x 2 and make the RAM and upgrade later on as well. However I do not seem to be able to find any 2 x 2 that would be worth the savings.

Im torn a bit on memory for you .It should be 1.5 volt , and it would be nice to use 1600Mhz , but 1333 Mhz is cheaper so with an eye to cost then

ADATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $28

or Mosox memory suggestion

or
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $33

I'd use whatever pci-e graphics card I could find second hand . Check online auction websites , or ask your friends who may have upgraded and kept their old card
August 30, 2011 9:27:47 PM

I have updated the current loadout of the build.

CPU
AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3GHz Triple-Core 95W AM3 $80

MotherBoard
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $60

Ram
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz $45

Storage
Samsung F3 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s $53

Optical Drive
ASUS SATA 24XDVD Burner $21

Power Supply
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power $55

Case
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $60

Thanks mosox for the case and psu recommendations. I have decided to keep the current motherboard for now for its price/ on board video, despite there only being two ram slots I think some decent 2 x 4 will work out fine.

Still torn on the video card...
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 9:53:01 PM

Get a decent mobo even if you have to postpone the GPU.
!