PC switching itself off when I play Computer Games

f9073

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hi.

I have had my computer for several years now. And in January I upgraded the PSU Graphics card and the memory. A couple of weeks ago when I installed a game called Dungeon Defenders, my pc would switch off at random intervals whilst playing. I tweaked some of the graphics settings and fixed the problem and thought nothing of it. A few days ago I bought Dead Island and installed it. I played it on the Friday for a couple of hours without any problems. On Saturday I was invited to be a beta tester for Star Wars the Old Republic. I only played for 20 mins on the Sat with no problems. On Sunday I played for around 45 minutes and the computer switched itself off. I turned it back on and played again for a couple of hours without any problems I was able to quit and carry on using my computer. Later on that evening I tried to play Dead Island and the computer switched itself off after a few minutes. I turned it back on and tried again, only for it to turn itself off again. A few minutes ago I tried to play the game again, and was able to for about 5 minutes before it switched itself off. :(

Please can you advise me as to what I may do in order to fix this or what some of the problems may be. If you need any extra information please ask.

Thanks in advance

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What is the make/wattage size of your PSU? The make/model of the graphics card? What CPU?
It sounds like the Power Supply is underpowered for the upgraded graphics card. A common result is the PSU shuts down when it can't keep the voltage up to required levels.