What MHz/Volt RAM for my IVY I7 3770k should i go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4v1n

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hi Guys,

I recently built a new system with IVY I7 3770k+Maximus V Gene for GAMING. Right now I am using Value Select 4GB 1333MHz RAM from Corsair(As Stand-By).

I want to buy a new High MHz RAM for my ultra gaming. But I'm confused because I've heard that IVY I7 supports no more then 1600MHz. So what is the benefit of 2000MHz, 2400MHz or 2666MHz and 3GHz RAM Dominator Platinum from Corsair.

And recently read a thread that should not go for any 1.65 volt RAM cuz could fry my Processor Chip. (Scare's Me.........)

I' will be overclocking my CPU to 4.6GHz or 4.8GHz to get best out of it.

So What MHz/Volt RAM should I go for?

Solution

It won't because you can't really increase the FSB (which doesn't even exist on current Intel CPU's by the way. It's called the BCLK, or Base Clock now.)

You can't really go very far with that because it literally affects every system bus. Maybe from 100MHz (stock) to 105Mhz. Not even worth doing that, and going higher than that can damage USB devices and cause data corruption on SATA drives.

Anyway, there's almost no performance increase in anything, gaming or not, with faster than 1600 RAM. The only things that faster than 1600 RAM is beneficial for is if you're using a RAM disk, you do a ton of memory intensive work, or you use the...
The voltage thing is debatable, but you don't need anything faster than 1600. Not enough performance increase from anything faster to make it worthwhile. Seriously, we're talking maybe just 2 or 3 extra FPS going from 1600 to 2400+. It just doesn't make any sense to do it.

n4v1n

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

But what if I Increases my CPU's FSB, Will 2400+ RAM performing better than just 2 or 3+ FPS?

It won't because you can't really increase the FSB (which doesn't even exist on current Intel CPU's by the way. It's called the BCLK, or Base Clock now.)

You can't really go very far with that because it literally affects every system bus. Maybe from 100MHz (stock) to 105Mhz. Not even worth doing that, and going higher than that can damage USB devices and cause data corruption on SATA drives.

Anyway, there's almost no performance increase in anything, gaming or not, with faster than 1600 RAM. The only things that faster than 1600 RAM is beneficial for is if you're using a RAM disk, you do a ton of memory intensive work, or you use the iGPU. Other than that, it's basically pointless.

Solution

n4v1n

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

First: Didn't know BCLK, Thanx for that.

Second: So what is benefit of 3GHz RAM or other High frequency RAMs?

My Personal Experiance: I had a core 2 duo Processor 2.2GHz+800MHz FSB with Corsair 800 MHz. When I increase CPU FSB, it increases CPU Clock+RAM Speed and same happens when I increase the RAM speed, Increase CPU Clock+FSB. I mean they were linked.

My Doubt: New IVY Supports 1600Mhz BCLK as it's FSB(Please correct if I'm wrong), If increase it to 2000Mhz along with 2000MHz RAM. It should boost CPU Clock+Alteast 20% Overall Performance.....

And please suggest what Volt Memory???

Not sure what you mean by 3Ghz RAM (as far as I know, that doesn't even exist. 2800 is the fastest that I know of).

Anyway, the RAM multiplier is unlinked from the CPU, so faster RAM doesn't OC the CPU. No extra CPU performance can be gained with faster RAM with SB or IB CPU's. The only way to OC a Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU is with the CPU multiplier or the 5-8 Mhz or so that you can increase the BCLK.

And an Ivy CPU will run just fine with faster than 1600 RAM, but the Integrated Memory Controller is "happiest" (for lack of a better term) with 1600, so there aren't any major gains in performance from anything faster.

And I would stick with 1.5V RAM.

Edit: The BCLK (or FSB, if you still want to call it that) for all SB and IB CPU's but the SB-E's is 100 Mhz. Yes, really. Only 100Mhz.

n4v1n

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Corsair Recently Launched/Reached 3GHz Dominator Platinum.(If doubt, Google it, You will find it within 1 min)

You've been really helpful.................BIG Thanks for helping me out.......

Now i will move to OC Section to clear the Your BCLK/My FSB :)

A BIG HUG TO MR. DJDecible............

Thanks for the tip on the Corsair RAM, I'll check that out, and you're welcome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.