My 1st build, and a question about same image on 2 monitors?

tlminh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: this month
Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) ~ 1000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: watching movies, surf net, gaming, light photo editing
Parts Not Required: keyboard mouse, monitor
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon, newegg, tigerdirect. I am military APO, some amazon products wont ship to APO
Country of Origin: USA but stationed on base in JAPAN
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 24 inch, 1366x768 panasonic viera 50 inch 720 p

CPU: i5 2600k
Cooler: CM 212+ or CM V8
HD: 2TB WD black caviar
Mobo: Asus P8p67 deluxe or Asus Sabretooth
RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 2x4GB
Case CM Storm Enforcer
GPU: Undecided leaning towards 6950
Power: Corsair TX 750
Optical: Samsug vs pioneer Bluray drive

Question:

Gonna be my first build, wanted to know if I can hook up my 24 inch monitor for gaming/office work AND my 50 inch plasma when I watch movies

The PC will be located by a desk that is 10 feet away. I wanted to run 15 ft HDMI cable from the PC to the plasma
Also wanted to run HDMI from PC to monitor for when i am doing office work or photo editing.

What do you think of my setup, any critisms or thoughts would be GREAT, this is my first build and have been researching for a few months!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
CPU - Im not too sure which one you mean, theres the i5-2500k or the i7-2600k. Both are good and in terms of gaming, more or less the same. The i5-2500k is a great choice.

CPU Cooler - 212+ again a good choice, excellent cooling performance for a good price.

Mobo - Due to the very minor price differences in P67 and Z68 motherboards, id recommend looking at some z68 boards. Something like the ASUS P8Z68-v PRO or Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3.

GPU - Good GPU but it might be worth taking a look at some GTX 560Ti's - especially if you plan on overclocking.

PSU - 750w is a good choice for if you ever plan to add a second card for SLI/Crossfire. If however you dont plan to add a second card, you could save yourself some money and get a 500w PSU which would be plenty to handle an i5-2500k + 6950/560Ti + Overclocking

Optical Drive - I personally have a Samsung Blu-Ray drive and am very impressed with it. Link here to the one i bought: http://www.ebuyer.com/242243-samsung-sh-b123l-12x-bd-rom-dvd-rw-dl-ram-lightscribe-sata-optical-drive-sh-b123l-bsbp

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
MSI make good quality products. The board has SLI and Crossfire support aswell.

As for the video ports, you wont be using the video ports on the motherboard. You'll be plugging any displays/screens into your graphics card. The 6950 your looking at supports 2 DVI ports and a HDMI aswell so yes, you will be able to run 2 screens from your computer, and you can display on them whatever you wish :)

Z68 isn't really necessary but either chipset is good. Amd cards support 3 monitors, Nvidia cards only support 2 monitors. If you get a z68 you can run an additional 2 monitors off the cpu's integrated graphics. I'd run both monitors off the gpu.

You can run movies to your plasma and something else to your monitor if you change the display mode in windows to extended so each monitor can display something different but all controlled by your one pc. You'd simply drag the program's window to the other monitor/tv. It defaulted to extended mode for me when I got multiple monitors.

Just a side note; HDMI and DVI are both digital and get the same quality, the only difference is hdmi has audio through it as well, so don't be stuck on using just hdmi.