Sign in with
Your question

Spontaneous reboot during gameplay

Last response: in Systems
August 29, 2011 11:27:42 AM

Could any of you boffins kindly help me diagnose my problem? It's driving me quite mad.

The build:

MB: Asus P8P67-M Pro (Revision B3)
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
RAM: 1 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjaw
GPU: Radeon HD 6950
Primary Storage: OCZ RevoDrive 80GB SSD
PSU: Powercool 650W Modular

The problem:

Runs smoothly without any fuss during normal desktop use, during games like World of Warcraft and Minecraft rig will power off and restart. No BSOD, just a complete reboot.

This issue is intermittent. Sometimes it will happen within seconds of starting a game, sometime hours. Sometimes the problem will repeat as soon as I restart the game, sometimes it will give me a good half a day of play time.

What I have tried:

- Changing the RAM (I have around 6 other sticks I can use)
- Running memtest
- Monitoring and logging system temps using Aida64 (apart from GPU), results as follows:
  • MB: 36 C
  • CPU: 90 (I believe this is a false report, many other users have reported false readings from the intel 2600k, you will see from the core values that this cannot be the case)
  • Core 1: 60 C
  • Core 2: 61 C
  • Core 3: 59 C
  • Core 4: 54 C
  • Aux: 52 C

- Periodically checking GPU temp under CPUID hardware monitor, under a heavy load temps don't usually exceed around 60 C
    - Checking all cable connections in case
    - Running GPU fan at constant 80% speed using catalyst Control Center

So there you have it, if there is any additional information I can provide then just ask.
    August 29, 2011 11:38:52 AM

you could try the v-card in another system. or max its fan out and see what happens.
    if your overclocking anything put it back to normal and see if that fixes it.
    could try a different driver version or a bios update. but those are both not likely to do anything.
    as a side note, 1 stick of ram is a waste. its a dual channel system. using two will give you twice the bandwidth. if you could run games you would feel the difference.
    August 29, 2011 11:51:19 AM

I'm afraid I do not have another system to try the card in, I'm only using 1 stick at the moment to minimise the possibility of a RAM issue - my system would usually have 4 Sticks for a total of 16GB of RAM.

System is currently on standard settings for all hardware, no overclocking as I'm paranoid of breaking an already unstable system xD
    August 29, 2011 11:52:55 AM

I should also point out that I have been using FurMark to put my GPU under maximum load, so far I have not noticed any issues. I may run it a few more times though.

Update:
    Just run furmark for a good 5 minutes, maximum settings. Maxmimum temps did not exceed 82 Degrees under 99% load, with the graphics card's fan only sitting at around 61%. I think it's safe to say the GPU is not overheating and shutting off, as WoW and Minecraft aren't exactly going to push this card to it's max!
    !