Closed Solved

Motherboard Vcore dropping ??

my vcore is dropping from 1.5v to 0.785v whenever it gets under load please help
61 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard vcore dropping
  1. It is normal for processors to adjust their operating voltage as they adjust their operating frequency. Most processors will use a voltage around 0.8 volts when idle or in thermal shutdown state. If your system is highly overclocked your cores may be throttling themselves to prevent damage. 1.5 volts is very high for any processor, what are you running?
  2. I am running an fx 8150 at 4.5ghz load temp is 23c and a 990fx extreme 3 motherboard
  3. kittyassassin said:
    I am running an fx 8150 at 4.5ghz load temp is 23c and a 990fx extreme 3 motherboard


    Your load temp is 23 centigrade? I don't think so. You need to do a firmware update now and figure out why that sensor is borked. Your load temps are probably closer to 80 or maybe even 90
  4. cpuid, my bios and amd overdrive all read this temp. and the reason its so low i guess is because my cpu will not run steady over 1.4 ghz
  5. I guess my question is.. how do i stop my processor from going into idle...ive disabled all the normal things in the bios that do this and enabled LLC.. i play crysis and my framerate drops from 112 fps to 23 during the voltage drop.
  6. kittyassassin said:
    cpuid, my bios and amd overdrive all read this temp. and the reason its so low i guess is because my cpu will not run steady over 1.4 ghz


    It's wrong. Trust me. Unless you're using some exotic refrigeration or thermal-electric cooling for your CPU (if you were, you probably wouldn't be posting here) then the CPU's temperature will never be below ambient. Ambient is whatever the temperature of your room is, so that will ideally be between 22 and 24 degrees centigrade. Now, there's massive temperature gradient between the heat generating components (the chip) and the integrated heat spreader (not to be confused with the heat sink), another gradient between the integrated heat spreader and the heat sink and a final gradient between the heat sink and the ambient environment. Given that the Bulldozer CPU is a very power hungry processor you should be seeing idle temperatures (on the package) of between 35 and 40 centigrade even with a good air cooler. Something is very wrong and you need to undo all of your overclocking and tweaking before your 8150 gets upgraded to the Paperweight edition.
  7. Im having the vcore problem even with stock frequency's
  8. Pinhedd said:
    It's wrong. Trust me. Unless you're using some exotic refrigeration or thermal-electric cooling for your CPU (if you were, you probably wouldn't be posting here) then the CPU's temperature will never be below ambient. Ambient is whatever the temperature of your room is, so that will ideally be between 22 and 24 degrees centigrade. Now, there's massive temperature gradient between the heat generating components (the chip) and the integrated heat spreader (not to be confused with the heat sink), another gradient between the integrated heat spreader and the heat sink and a final gradient between the heat sink and the ambient environment. Given that the Bulldozer CPU is a very power hungry processor you should be seeing idle temperatures (on the package) of between 35 and 40 centigrade even with a good air cooler. Something is very wrong and you need to undo all of your overclocking and tweaking before your 8150 gets upgraded to the Paperweight edition.

    Ok so since ive built this pc this issue has been going on. I cant play any games bcause of this drop in the multiplier and voltage. I Just would love to run it at any frequency steady and stable... and yes i have amazing cooling. Gpu 29c. and my cpu at 4.5ghz is at 41.3c
  9. From your explination the processor is overheating and throttleing to keep from frying.
    Chec kthe Heatsink and remountwith new thermal paste. Also make sure you removed the thin plastic covering the bottom of the heatsink.
    Next Update the bios as already suggested.
    A cpu can not run below ambient temperature without exotic cooling. Such as a TEC, chilled water,Phase change compressor,or liquid nitrogen or Helium or refrigerated air.. It is against all laws of physics and impossible. So your sensor is broken or the bios is broken.

    My post is everything stated above in a different manor. Since you are vague about your cooling all we can do is suggest the most common culprits.
    We also need specifics on hardware not vague "amazing cooling" otherwise most members will consider this another "Troll" post and ignore it.
  10. Unolocogringo said:
    From your explination the processor is overheating and throttleing to keep from frying.
    Chec kthe Heatsink and remountwith new thermal paste. Also make sure you removed the thin plastic covering the bottom of the heatsink.
    Next Update the bios as already suggested.
    A cpu can not run below ambient temperature without exotic cooling. Such as a TEC, chilled water,Phase change compressor,or liquid nitrogen or Helium or refrigerated air.. It is against all laws of physics and impossible. So your sensor is broken or the bios is broken.

    My post is everything stated above in a different manor. Since you are vague about your cooling all we can do is suggest the most common culprits.
    We also need specifics on hardware not vague "amazing cooling" otherwise most members will consider this another "Troll" post and ignore it.

    ok i am using a enermax t-40 Heatsink. and yes a re seated and re applied paste and yes i removed the plastic the room temperature in my room is 68 F and right now it says my cpu is around 40c during crysis. the voltage is litteraly half of what it should be. Please Keep replying your input means alot
  11. According to this review http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/enermax_ets_t40/4.htm , the ETS-T40 is barely better than a 212 Evo, so it's not "amazing", but it's good, at least.

    I'm not sure that it's throttling, but I still suspect that you're not getting the correct temp readings. 40C at load is hard thing to accomplish with a 8150 and it would take a MUCH beefier cooler than that Enermax to do it (think along the lines of a Noctua NH-D14).

    This sounds like a firmware (BIOS) problem (for both the voltage AND temps). It might be worth a shot updating the BIOS, if you don't already have the newest.

    What motherboard is it, by the way?
  12. kittyassassin said:
    ok i am using a enermax t-40 Heatsink. and yes a re seated and re applied paste and yes i removed the plastic the room temperature in my room is 68 F and right now it says my cpu is around 40c during crysis. the voltage is litteraly half of what it should be. Please Keep replying your input means alot


    That's still an air cooler, and 1.5 volts is still really high. Something is wrong. You need to stop overclocking without knowing what's going on first or you are going to damage something.
  13. It is a 990fx extreme 3 and i have tried 3 different bios versions. And by amazing cooling i was more referring to the air flow in my case
  14. Pinhedd said:
    That's still an air cooler, and 1.5 volts is still really high. Something is wrong. You need to stop overclocking without knowing what's going on first or you are going to damage something.


    Regardless of the voltage issue, I definitely agree with this.
  15. Pinhedd said:
    That's still an air cooler, and 1.5 volts is still really high. Something is wrong. You need to stop overclocking without knowing what's going on first or you are going to damage something.

    ok do you know what could be wrong anything i could try ?? any screen shots you want ?? my system specs are

    7850 0C 2gb Gddr5
    fx 8150
    990fx extreme 3
    8gb g skill memory
  16. I have everything back at uefi defaults.
  17. OK, stress test it now (with Prime 95 Small FFT's) to see what happens.
  18. Your cooling is average for mid range aftermarket coolers. Much better than stock but not top of the line.

    Try resetting the heatsink,but you need to use a fair amount of paste.
    First turn the cooler over and fill the gaps between the heatpipes and the aluminum base. Your cooler has pretty large gaps and the normal method of a grain of rice size blob of paste will not work. the paste will not reach the outside heatpipes.
    After you fill the gaps in the base make an X of paste on the cpu. The bead size is maybe the size of a round wooden tooth pick.
    Place the cooler on the CPU and slightly turn it clockwise and counter clockwise to spread the paste.
    Now screw it down according to the cooler directions.
    Mounting a direct contact heatpipe cooler is very different than a regular flat bottom heatsink.
    Download Hardware Monitor. install and run it while trying out a game. it will tell you minimum and maximum temperature and voltages. just check it after tyring your game and post for CPU and GPU. MIN and MAX for both.
  19. DJDeCiBeL said:

    prime 95 tests passed. im never had this problem in any of my builds .. could it be a faulty motherboard sensor causing the cpu to throttle unnecessarily
  20. Well, I'm almost positive that the temp sensors aren't right, so it's possible.

    It still wouldn't hurt to try doing what Rick suggested, though. Definitely try HWMonitor (or even SpeedFan, even though I hate it, but it seems to work for AMD CPU's). They probably won't give you the correct core temps, but the CPU temp was close to right with those for another person I helped with unrealistically low temps.

    Edit: And take a look through that link I posted, as well. Your answer may be found there.
  21. DJDeCiBeL said:


    Very good link there. Will boomark if for future reference.
  22. Unolocogringo said:
    Very good link there. Will boomark if for future reference.

    im very confident this isnt temp related
  23. I have already seen that link and adjusted all the settings to what they suggested.. i have already re done the heat sink thinking that was the problem
  24. kittyassassin said:
    22c Under load ? seems legit.


    :lol: Or not...

    I would expect load temps to be in the high 40's-low 50's (at stock)...
  25. kittyassassin said:


    And like I said above, I'm almost positive (99.999%) that those temps aren't even close to correct. Idle should be in the high 20's at the absolute coolest on air cooling. Unless you live in Antarctica...
  26. 22c Under load ? seems legit.
  27. ok temp might not be right.. i understand somethings wrong and thats why im here asking for help.
  28. kittyassassin said:
    ok temp might not be right.. i understand somethings wrong and thats why im here asking for help.


    Try HWMonitor or SpeedFan, like I said. See if they agree with everything else (not necessarily the core temps because they'll probably still report low).
  29. kittyassassin said:


    That doesn't help, since Overdrive is obviously wrong...
  30. I still don't really think this is a temp throttling issue, but until we get a correct reading, there's no way to truly know.

    Besides that, try using the High Performance power plan in Windows, if you haven't already.
  31. DJDeCiBeL said:
    I still don't really think this is a temp throttling issue, but until we get a correct reading, there's no way to truly know.

    Besides that, try using the High Performance power plan in Windows, if you haven't already.

    why is my min voltage .7 ??
  32. DJDeCiBeL said:
    I still don't really think this is a temp throttling issue, but until we get a correct reading, there's no way to truly know.

    Besides that, try using the High Performance power plan in Windows, if you haven't already.





    hmm maybe enermax is the shiz ? and i have it on high performance....see were focusing on the temp i just want my multiplier back at 23 :(
  33. kittyassassin said:
    hmm maybe enermax is the shiz ?


    It's not THAT good :lol:

    The reason we're keyed in on the temps is that's the only thing that makes much sense, at this point.

    If you tried what was in that link earlier and all the settings are right, it's either the temps, a faulty mobo, or a faulty CPU.
  34. DJDeCiBeL said:
    I still don't really think this is a temp throttling issue, but until we get a correct reading, there's no way to truly know.

    Besides that, try using the High Performance power plan in Windows, if you haven't already.

    PLease dont give up on me...
  35. kittyassassin said:
    why is my min voltage .7 ??


    Because it's throttling, for some reason (the temps being the most likely cause).
  36. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Because it's throttling, for some reason (the temps being the most likely cause).

    so what would you like me to ship back first motherboard or processor.
  37. kittyassassin said:
    PLease dont give up on me...


    Honestly, after the last two posts I made, I've exhausted my knowledge of the situation. I don't really know what more to tell you.
  38. kittyassassin said:
    PLease dont give up on me...


    All the core temperatures are being reported as 22.9 centigrade. Not only are they too low to begin with, they are all the same. There should be a 5-10 degree spread across the board due to manufacturing and load variations.

    I suggest upgrading the firmware to version 1.4 if you haven't done so already.

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme3/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
  39. kittyassassin said:
    so what would you like me to ship back first motherboard or processor.


    Probably the board (makes the most sense).
  40. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Honestly, after the last two posts I made, I've exhausted my knowledge of the situation. I don't really know what more to tell you.

    At least you didnt say...make sure norton anti virus is off and defrag bf3 folder :P haha
  41. kittyassassin said:
    ok turns out i have 11,000 critcal errors in the event viewer.


    :fou:
  42. ok turns out i have 11,000 critcal errors in the event viewer.
  43. Pinhedd said:
    All the core temperatures are being reported as 22.9 centigrade. Not only are they too low to begin with, they are all the same. There should be a 5-10 degree spread across the board due to manufacturing and load variations.

    I suggest upgrading the firmware to version 1.4 if you haven't done so already.

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme3/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

    all are kernel power errors
  44. In your last picture is shows max temp of 54c which is about right.
    Check the bios and see if thermal trottleing is on. It will downclock the processor and lower voltage when a pre set threshould is reached.
    It is located under Advanced-CPU in the bios.
  45. Unolocogringo said:
    In your last picture is shows max temp of 54c which is about right.
    Check the bios and see if thermal trottleing is on. It will downclock the processor and lower voltage when a pre set threshould is reached.
    It is located under Advanced-CPU in the bios.

    It is disabled.
  46. i have a cold room...
  47. If Thermal Throttling is disabled, then it almost has to be the motherboard, unless anyone else has a better idea.

    I really don't think it's the CPU itself. It's possible, but it would be a rare occurrence.
Ask a new question

Read More

ASRock Motherboards