Motherboard Vcore dropping ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
In that case it is time to contact Asrock for a RMA. they will probably have you try a few things first over the phone before issueing a RMA number.
Do not just send it back ,call and go through the RMA process.
You might get them to send a new board before sending yours in.
It is normal for processors to adjust their operating voltage as they adjust their operating frequency. Most processors will use a voltage around 0.8 volts when idle or in thermal shutdown state. If your system is highly overclocked your cores may be throttling themselves to prevent damage. 1.5 volts is very high for any processor, what are you running?

Your load temp is 23 centigrade? I don't think so. You need to do a firmware update now and figure out why that sensor is borked. Your load temps are probably closer to 80 or maybe even 90

kittyassassin

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I guess my question is.. how do i stop my processor from going into idle...ive disabled all the normal things in the bios that do this and enabled LLC.. i play crysis and my framerate drops from 112 fps to 23 during the voltage drop.

It's wrong. Trust me. Unless you're using some exotic refrigeration or thermal-electric cooling for your CPU (if you were, you probably wouldn't be posting here) then the CPU's temperature will never be below ambient. Ambient is whatever the temperature of your room is, so that will ideally be between 22 and 24 degrees centigrade. Now, there's massive temperature gradient between the heat generating components (the chip) and the integrated heat spreader (not to be confused with the heat sink), another gradient between the integrated heat spreader and the heat sink and a final gradient between the heat sink and the ambient environment. Given that the Bulldozer CPU is a very power hungry processor you should be seeing idle temperatures (on the package) of between 35 and 40 centigrade even with a good air cooler. Something is very wrong and you need to undo all of your overclocking and tweaking before your 8150 gets upgraded to the Paperweight edition.

kittyassassin

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Ok so since ive built this pc this issue has been going on. I cant play any games bcause of this drop in the multiplier and voltage. I Just would love to run it at any frequency steady and stable... and yes i have amazing cooling. Gpu 29c. and my cpu at 4.5ghz is at 41.3c

From your explination the processor is overheating and throttleing to keep from frying.
Chec kthe Heatsink and remountwith new thermal paste. Also make sure you removed the thin plastic covering the bottom of the heatsink.
Next Update the bios as already suggested.
A cpu can not run below ambient temperature without exotic cooling. Such as a TEC, chilled water,Phase change compressor,or liquid nitrogen or Helium or refrigerated air.. It is against all laws of physics and impossible. So your sensor is broken or the bios is broken.

My post is everything stated above in a different manor. Since you are vague about your cooling all we can do is suggest the most common culprits.
We also need specifics on hardware not vague "amazing cooling" otherwise most members will consider this another "Troll" post and ignore it.

kittyassassin

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

ok i am using a enermax t-40 Heatsink. and yes a re seated and re applied paste and yes i removed the plastic the room temperature in my room is 68 F and right now it says my cpu is around 40c during crysis. the voltage is litteraly half of what it should be. Please Keep replying your input means alot

According to this review http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/enermax_ets_t40/4.htm , the ETS-T40 is barely better than a 212 Evo, so it's not "amazing", but it's good, at least.

I'm not sure that it's throttling, but I still suspect that you're not getting the correct temp readings. 40C at load is hard thing to accomplish with a 8150 and it would take a MUCH beefier cooler than that Enermax to do it (think along the lines of a Noctua NH-D14).

This sounds like a firmware (BIOS) problem (for both the voltage AND temps). It might be worth a shot updating the BIOS, if you don't already have the newest.

What motherboard is it, by the way?

That's still an air cooler, and 1.5 volts is still really high. Something is wrong. You need to stop overclocking without knowing what's going on first or you are going to damage something.

Regardless of the voltage issue, I definitely agree with this.

kittyassassin

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

ok do you know what could be wrong anything i could try ?? any screen shots you want ?? my system specs are

7850 0C 2gb Gddr5
fx 8150
990fx extreme 3
8gb g skill memory

Your cooling is average for mid range aftermarket coolers. Much better than stock but not top of the line.

Try resetting the heatsink,but you need to use a fair amount of paste.
First turn the cooler over and fill the gaps between the heatpipes and the aluminum base. Your cooler has pretty large gaps and the normal method of a grain of rice size blob of paste will not work. the paste will not reach the outside heatpipes.
After you fill the gaps in the base make an X of paste on the cpu. The bead size is maybe the size of a round wooden tooth pick.
Place the cooler on the CPU and slightly turn it clockwise and counter clockwise to spread the paste.
Now screw it down according to the cooler directions.
Mounting a direct contact heatpipe cooler is very different than a regular flat bottom heatsink.
Download Hardware Monitor. install and run it while trying out a game. it will tell you minimum and maximum temperature and voltages. just check it after tyring your game and post for CPU and GPU. MIN and MAX for both.

kittyassassin

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

prime 95 tests passed. im never had this problem in any of my builds .. could it be a faulty motherboard sensor causing the cpu to throttle unnecessarily

Well, I'm almost positive that the temp sensors aren't right, so it's possible.

It still wouldn't hurt to try doing what Rick suggested, though. Definitely try HWMonitor (or even SpeedFan, even though I hate it, but it seems to work for AMD CPU's). They probably won't give you the correct core temps, but the CPU temp was close to right with those for another person I helped with unrealistically low temps.

Edit: And take a look through that link I posted, as well. Your answer may be found there.

kittyassassin

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

im very confident this isnt temp related
4da23f90.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.