Compact/Mobile Projector Displays

Mike Mills

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Has anyone used any of the compact projectors to display their work?

I saw an HP unit last night that used an LED light sources (long life, unbreakable, cooler operation).

I saw some incredibly small units that fit into one hand.

I saw some medium small units that were the size of a large novel.

All were $300-$400. All claimed to be great!

Mike Mills

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
But that is one of the points in the original post - "All claim to be great!" The reviews that are available on CNET, etc are pretty uniformly favorable.

What I am after are additional reviews from those who have used them in conference rooms and other work places (usually lit by fluorescent lights).

Any one?

Most of the reviews are not "reviews" they are copies from the press releases. When I said reviews actually look for a place that tested them. I'll tell you that that no projector I've ever used under $1,000 will work well in even a half-lit room. You need about a 2,000 lumen projector for that, if not more. And those are not cheap, or come in low resolutions (640 or 800).

Mike Mills

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I am looking at reviews. That is, write-ups from actual users. For example, one was a school teacher who uses it in his classroom.

I remain skeptical, though, as there are no negative reviews.

Maybe I should buy one from a supplier with a liberal return policy. If it doesn't work out (e.g., not bright enough), I can return it.

Check the lumens rating, if it's around 2,000 will be OK for a semi-lit room (dimmed but not full lights). For a good result in a lit room, you want 2400 or over.

highlanderbear

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Been looking into getting a projector myself. I'm looking for an LED projector since I dont want to change bulbs. From the reviews I've seen I'm leaning a big towards the AAXA M2. It has a 110 lumen rating which is comparable to the HP you linked. I've seen pictures of this unit projecting in dim light with pretty good results. check it out lemme know what you think.
http://www.aaxatech.com/products/m2_micro_projector.htm

sugadaddie

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
But LED bulbs last the life of the projector instead of $300 every 3000hours. From what I've been told, they're meant to be an affordable and portable alternative to the higher power projectors, not replace them yet.