dark pictures from Nikon D-70

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 28, 2005 2:26:21 PM

Dear forumvisitors,

I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met a
problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch Iiyama
TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with
printing the picture is still to dark.
I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.

Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG

Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway

Eric

More about : dark pictures nikon

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:26:22 PM

Only foto2.jpg is under exposed, and it is under exposed by about 1
stop. I see that it also had exposure compensation of +.3 so this
would make the total error 1.3 stops. Is it possible that the camera
was gong to use the flash for this photo and for some reason it did not
go off?

Scott
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:08:13 PM

"Eric Zwartjes" <h.zwartjes@chello.nl> wrote in message
> Dear forumvisitors,
>
> I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met a
> problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
> programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
> light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
> But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
> Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
> Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
> with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
> digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch Iiyama
> TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with
> printing the picture is still to dark.
> I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
> homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.
>
> Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
> Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
> Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
>
> Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
>
> Eric

Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
Perhaps the problem is with your printer.
Related resources
March 28, 2005 3:08:14 PM

In article <xAR1e.15652$C7.9535@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, no@email.com
says...

> "Eric Zwartjes" <h.zwartjes@chello.nl> wrote in message
> > Dear forumvisitors,
> >
> > I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met a
> > problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
> > programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
> > light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
> > But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
> > Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
> > Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
> > with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
> > digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch Iiyama
> > TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with
> > printing the picture is still to dark.
> > I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
> > homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.
> >
> > Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
> > Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
> > Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
> >
> > Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
> >
> > Eric
>
> Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
> Perhaps the problem is with your printer.

If those shots are printing too dark, you probably have some kind of
printer/driver/calibration problem to work out.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

In article <MPG.1cb1b29d4de8e2479897b5@news.individual.NET>,
larrylynch3rd@comcast.net says...
> In article <xAR1e.15652$C7.9535@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, no@email.com
> says...
> >
> > "Eric Zwartjes" <h.zwartjes@chello.nl> wrote in message
> > > Dear forumvisitors,
> > >
> > > I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met a
> > > problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
> > > programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
> > > light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
> > > But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
> > > Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
> > > Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
> > > with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
> > > digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch Iiyama
> > > TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with
> > > printing the picture is still to dark.
> > > I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
> > > homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.
> > >
> > > Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
> > > Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
> > > Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
> > >
> > > Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
> > >
> > > Eric
> >
> > Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
> > Perhaps the problem is with your printer.
> >

> If those shots are printing too dark, you probably have some kind of
> printer/driver/calibration problem to work out.

I'de like to add, I printed the "city street" picture with an Epson R200 @
8x10, a Canon i960 @ 8x10, and an Olympus Dye sub printer @ A4 size.

They look fine.

The Canon was set for "Photo Paper Pro"

The Epson R200 was set for "Glossy Photo Paper"

The Olympus was set at "Default"

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Larry wrote:

> In article <MPG.1cb1b29d4de8e2479897b5@news.individual.NET>,
> larrylynch3rd@comcast.net says...
> > In article <xAR1e.15652$C7.9535@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, no@email.com
> > says...
> > >
> > > "Eric Zwartjes" <h.zwartjes@chello.nl> wrote in message

> > > Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
> > > Perhaps the problem is with your printer.
> > >

> > If those shots are printing too dark, you probably have some kind of
> > printer/driver/calibration problem to work out.

actually, if you look at them on a corrected monitor, you see part of
the problem.

http://www.vircen.com/rpd/

check you monitor on the gray scale, and then check the before and after
in album pix.

simply changing contrast and gamma made a big difference.
if they were original files,
they were a little darker than they should be,
and low in contrast.

> I'de like to add, I printed the "city street" picture with an Epson R200 @
> 8x10, a Canon i960 @ 8x10, and an Olympus Dye sub printer @ A4 size.
>
> They look fine.
>
> The Canon was set for "Photo Paper Pro"
>
> The Epson R200 was set for "Glossy Photo Paper"
>
> The Olympus was set at "Default"
>
> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.
March 28, 2005 4:19:12 PM

In article <424838B6.10E4@cox.net>, Crownfield@cox.net says...

> simply changing contrast and gamma made a big difference.
> if they were original files,
> they were a little darker than they should be,
> and low in contrast.

Yes the photo does look Brighter after your work, however, I noticed that
there were only softly defined shadows in the photo which lead me to believe
that the natural light was not as bright as in your treatment.

The print I made looked like a fairly moody, cloudy day, which from the
shadows (or actually the lack of them) I took to be the real mood of the
photo.

By the way, you really shouldnt assume someone hasnt calibrated their
monitor, just because you dont agree whith what they say.

The correct brightess/contrast/Gamma for that photo is unknown to all but the
photographer who took it.

Perhaps I was wrong in assuming the lack of strong shadow meant a lack of
bright direct sunlight.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

They do not seem dark to me...tried to print one of them and was fine....are
you sure about calibration Monitir?printer etc??
Which printer and software are you using?

Marco
http://www.sitheanphoto.com

> "Eric Zwartjes" <h.zwartjes@chello.nl> wrote in message
>> Dear forumvisitors,
>>
>> I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met
>> a problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
>> programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
>> light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
>> But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
>> Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
>> Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
>> with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
>> digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch
>> Iiyama TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so
>> with printing the picture is still to dark.
>> I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
>> homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.
>>
>> Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
>> Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
>> Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
>>
>> Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
>>
>> Eric
>
> Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
> Perhaps the problem is with your printer.

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:42:10 PM

Larry wrote:

> In article <424838B6.10E4@cox.net>, Crownfield@cox.net says...
> >

> > simply changing contrast and gamma made a big difference.
> > if they were original files,
> > they were a little darker than they should be,
> > and low in contrast.
> >

> Yes the photo does look Brighter after your work, however, I noticed that
> there were only softly defined shadows in the photo which lead me to believe
> that the natural light was not as bright as in your treatment.
>
> The print I made looked like a fairly moody, cloudy day, which from the
> shadows (or actually the lack of them) I took to be the real mood of the
> photo.
>
> By the way, you really shouldnt assume someone hasnt calibrated their
> monitor, just because you dont agree whith what they say.

I did not imply that.
I meant to eliminate the question in following posts.

my monitor is calibrated,
and the images looked too dark to print very well.
that fit with the complaint.
with the gamma as it was, the prints were going to be very dark and
subdued.
nothing about the picture jumped out and made it seem fitting.

the complaint was that the images were printing too dark.

> The correct brightess/contrast/Gamma for that photo is unknown to all but the
> photographer who took it.
>
> Perhaps I was wrong in assuming the lack of strong shadow meant a lack of
> bright direct sunlight.
>
> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:11:42 PM

Exposure is spot on... the highlights on the scooter's rear mudguard are
peak white.. Colour temperature is a wee bit cool...

Guy

Eric Zwartjes wrote:
> Dear forumvisitors,
>
> I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I
> met a problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With
> all programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By
> using more light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
> But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
> Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
> Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to
> do with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie
> with digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18
> inch Iiyama TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor,
> even so with printing the picture is still to dark.
> I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on
> my homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used
> settings.
>
> Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
> Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
> Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
>
> Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
>
> Eric
March 28, 2005 8:40:58 PM

In article <42486C22.EE2@cox.net>, Crownfield@cox.net says...

Snipped for courtesy (and bandwidth)

> I did not imply that.
> I meant to eliminate the question in following posts.
>
> my monitor is calibrated,
> and the images looked too dark to print very well.
> that fit with the complaint.
> with the gamma as it was, the prints were going to be very dark and
> subdued.
> nothing about the picture jumped out and made it seem fitting.
>
> the complaint was that the images were printing too dark.

Now I understand...

I felt the picture was just Natural the way it was, but then I had to make
assumptions about the conditions under which it was taken.

This is not the first time that this has come up about a particular camera
taking "dark" pictures.. (my preference is to under-expose so I dont blow out
the highlights) but then, I usually remember what the lighting conditions
were when I shot a given picture, and unless Im doing something specifically
requested by a customer, I try to match the look and feel of the day.

I could very well be wrong about the conditions when that street shot was
taken.

Thats probably a fault in my method, but I do it because its the reason I
love photography. I try to capture a certain moment and feeling.

If the conditions were as bright as your corrected version, then I would say
his camera is working PERFECTLY for me, but to dark for him. Your adjustment
gave nice pure highlights without blowing anything out. Thats something thats
hard for some photographers to get, and its why I tend to under expose,
and/or shoot RAW whenever I can.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Larry wrote:

> In article <42486C22.EE2@cox.net>, Crownfield@cox.net says...
>
> Snipped for courtesy (and bandwidth)
>
> > I did not imply that.
> > I meant to eliminate the question in following posts.
> >
> > my monitor is calibrated,
> > and the images looked too dark to print very well.
> > that fit with the complaint.
> > with the gamma as it was, the prints were going to be very dark and
> > subdued.
> > nothing about the picture jumped out and made it seem fitting.
> >
> > the complaint was that the images were printing too dark.
> >

> Now I understand...
>
> I felt the picture was just Natural the way it was, but then I had to make
> assumptions about the conditions under which it was taken.
>
> This is not the first time that this has come up about a particular camera
> taking "dark" pictures.. (my preference is to under-expose so I dont blow out
> the highlights) but then, I usually remember what the lighting conditions
> were when I shot a given picture, and unless Im doing something specifically
> requested by a customer, I try to match the look and feel of the day.
>
> I could very well be wrong about the conditions when that street shot was
> taken.
>
> Thats probably a fault in my method, but I do it because its the reason I
> love photography. I try to capture a certain moment and feeling.
>
> If the conditions were as bright as your corrected version, then I would say
> his camera is working PERFECTLY for me, but to dark for him. Your adjustment
> gave nice pure highlights without blowing anything out. Thats something thats
> hard for some photographers to get, and its why I tend to under expose,
> and/or shoot RAW whenever I can.

and yet I got that from his file. I had to boost gamma from 1.0 to 1.9
to lighten the dark areas reasonably.

you have to be careful.
when you have a print that has less than full range,
it is hard to walk the line between the good snappy print,
and the mood that you were looking to achieve.
I guess that usually it falls somewhere between.
you have to lighten beyond the mood to get a good print
that conveys the subdued mood that you saw.

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:03:44 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:26:21 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Eric Zwartjes"
<h.zwartjes@chello.nl> wrote:

>Dear forumvisitors,
>
>I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met a
>problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
>programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
>light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
>But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
>Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
>Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
>with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
>digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch Iiyama
>TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with
>printing the picture is still to dark.
>I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
>homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.
>
>Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
>Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
>Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
>
>Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway

First, we need to narrow down the problem. Too dark, compared to what?
Are either of your monitors calibrated, at least at the minimum with Adobe
gamma or something else? I'm using an Iiyamma VMPro 512 calibrated with a
Colorvision spyder and these shots don't look dark to me.

They were taken with either the sun behind the subject or against a white
background with 3-d matrix metering. I'd think you'd have been better off
using center-weghted or spot metering on the subjects themselves. As it is
the background is shifting the exposure.

As to printing, too dark compared to what? The monitors? What process are
you printing from and is it color managed? I getting good results compared
to what I see on my calibrated monitor using Qimage and the appropriate
paper profiles on my Epson R800.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at