Upgrade my CPU and Video Card for SWTOR

michigan_man

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I want to play Star wars the old Republic, BUT my computer has gone out of date. I did the can i run it test and failed. HEre are the results, that show the minimum requirements and what i have. I basically need to upgrade my CPU and Graphics card. BUT i know not every CPU goes with every motherboard AND my computer is a slimline computer so even the graphic card has to be special. instead of taking it to bestbuy or somewhere they will charge me even more money i was wondering if anyone on here could give me a few suggested CPU's and Graphic Cards to buy. kinda looking for better than minimum. Thank you so much.

Video Card
Minimum: 256 MB of on-board RAM and Shader model 3.0 or better support (ATI Radeon X1800 or better, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 or better, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better).
You Have: GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i

OS
Minimum: Windows XP, Vista, 7
You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 (build 7600), 64-bit

RAM
Minimum: Windows XP: 1.5 GB, Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB, PCs using a built-in graphic chipset: 2 GB
You Have: 3.9 GB

CPU
Minimum: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz or better
You Have: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
RAM
Minimum: Windows XP: 1.5 GB, Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB, PCs using a built-in graphic chipset: 2 GB
You Have: 3.9 GB

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
We can't help you without the motherboard model details, they should give you CPU supported list.

Most likely it will be difficult to upgrade in that case, knowing a budget would help as well.

here is a reasonably priced system that will run SWTOR

$85 asrock 970 extreme3 AM3+
$125 Phenom II X4 955 BE
$70 Corsair CX600
$45 Kingston HyperX 8 GB KHX1600C9D3K2/8G (motherboard supported)
$159 PowerColor AX6870 HD 6870 1 GB
$18 dollar lite-on DVD writer (your drive is probably IDE)
$35 Rosewill Wind Ryder RZLS142A

$538

you can shop around newegg and come back here as a reference point if you need help with anything!

a new hard drive or copy of windows will tack on around 180 to that, but I am assuming you can use what you have.

This actually should not be too much of an issue. The Dual-Core E5200 is actually based on the Core 2 Duo Wolfdale generation design. The following are the major differences between the "Dual-Core" and "Core 2 Duo" CPUs:

1. Only 2MB of cache instead of 3MB or 6MB of cache in a Core 2 Duo CPU (depending on the model). - Not too much of a big deal for playing games.

2. 800MHz FSB instead of 1066MHz or 1333MHz FSB (again, depending on the model). - This can have an impact because it means the "Dual-Core" uses slower RAM which means data transfer is a little slower between the system RAM and the CPU.

3. No support for SSE4 instruction extensions. - Not a big deal for games, it is mostly used for audio and video encoding and maybe decoding.

The slightly slower FSB speed is offset by the higher processor speed, but it still means you CPU only meets the minimum requirements.

michigan_man

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Kinda of lost me with some of this stuff, but i see a graphics card in that link. That looks pretty awesome while at the perfect price also. But this will fit in my computer? and also im not sure what to do about a new processor

popatim

Titan
You dont *need* a new processor, it will run TOR but have to work hard to do it.
A new processor would be nice though; what you really need is a video card which is why I posted that one. You shouldnt even need to upgrade the power supply to run it.