CPU or motherboad is damaged

maynardthecat

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
When I went to clean out my CPU the CPU came out of the socket with the lever down because it was stuck to the heatsink. When I move the lever back and forth now without a CPU in it, it makes a crunching sound. To get the computer to boot I have to hold down the processor in the socket when I flip the lever down. Otherwise the socket will push the CPU half way out and it will not boot.

Also, some pins were bent on the CPU when removing it from the Heat sink but I bent them back in place. Now whenever I play games I get really bad stuttering. The amount of stuttering varies a great deal depending on the game i'm playing. In Team Fortress 2 some maps will play with very little stuttering while other maps will be unplayable. I get the same thing from BF3. I get similar stuttering when im just scrolling up and down through a web browser. The sound doesn't stutter at all and the FPS never drops.

Does this sound like its the CPU or the Motherboard that needs to be replaced?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
If the pins bent then it's the CPU and quite possible the motherboard is damaged. I know what you mean about pulling the heatsink off the CPU is always stuck to the bottom lol! In fact does anybody know how to avoid that?!

I assume this is an AMD issue? Intel went to LGA forever ago and it is quite impossible to remove the processor with the heatsink because there is a metal plate that holds the proc to the board.

If you give the heatsink a little twist to break the seal of the thermal grease then it won't take the proc with it. The pins on the proc should provide enough resistance together so that no single pin breaks, but still be very careful with this process.
Or, if you remove the mobo before removing the heatsink then you could put a thin flathead screwdriver between the proc and sink to pop it off.

In all likelyhood there is a pin stuck in the socket (easily verrified by looking at the bottom of the proc for a missing pin... it should be obvious if there is any damage there). Open the lever, hold the board upside-down and see if you can get the pin out. An air compressor or can of air could perswade the pin to come out as well, but be careful with such things. Then go get another proc and give it a go.

maynardthecat

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

No pins broke off.