Sign in with
Your question

Probable BATTLEFIELD 3 system requirements

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2011 9:50:41 AM

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1164&ga...

As you may know E3 allowed us journos an early look at the latest BF3 trailers which focused on tank gameplay footage. Naturally we were excited and headed straight over to the EA booth to see what else we could learn. For example, we have heard mention of the suppressive fire effect. Where you get points for suppressing the enemy. Suppressed enemies will get a blurred screen and maybe other debuffs.

But more importantly I would like to highlight the chat we had with an EA spokesperson at E3 about the predicted BF3 system requirements.

Needless to say we had to push hard for any information and were faced with answers like 'Battefield 3 is still being optimized' and 'Its too early to say what the BF3 system requirements are going to be'

Unperturbed we tried a different approach. We asked, would we be able to run the game on a machine that could run Battlefield Bad Company 2

We were told

'I cant say for certain, but I would think so. Although the Frostbite 2 engine (Frostbite 2 is the new BF3 game engine) is capable of far more than its predecessor (Frostbite 1.5 is the engine used on Bad Company 2) we are pretty confident that it will still only need the same sort of hardware to get it to run. Maybe we will see a small drop in frame rate due to the extra power used by BF3 with the FB2 engine but hopefully nothing to worry about.'

So from this snippet of gold we are going to put together our predicted Battlefield 3 system requirements

Battlefield 3 Minimum System Requirements

CPU: Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2Ghz or Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+

RAM: 2 GB

GFX: GeForce GT 240 or Radeon HD 5570

DX: 10

HDD: 15 GB

Battlefield 3 Recommended System Requirements

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8300 2.83Ghz or Phenom II X2 555

RAM: 4 GB

GFX: GeForce GTS 250 or Radeon HD 4830

GFX RAM: 512MB

DX: 11

Battlefield 3 Ultra System Requirements

CPU: Core i5-760 Quad 2.8GHz or Phenom II X4 965

RAM: 4 GB

GFX: GeForce GTX 460 or Radeon HD 5850

GFX RAM: 1GB

Bare in mind that these are our predicted BF3 system requirements and we will update with more concrete information as soon as they are available.

If you are looking to purchase a new machine specifically to run BF3 at its maximum settings we strongly advise that you do not do so until the official system requirements are released and we have published them here.

I may be able to run it at near max settings with my gtx 275 and i7 870 considering my rig maxes out bfbc2 :D 
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2011 12:58:43 PM

So if last gen hardware will run it on ultra settings, why do they recommend not building a machine until the official system requirements are released??
June 27, 2011 1:01:24 PM

id say that youll be looking at the same graphics requirements of crysis 2. BF3 may be running frostbite but from what i can see its graphics arent quite as spectacular as crysis 2. but stop trying to look for the minimum system requirements because with the minimum system requirements wont get anybody satisfying gameplay or atleast not around here.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2011 1:08:01 PM

geekapproved said:
So if last gen hardware will run it on ultra settings, why do they recommend not building a machine until the official system requirements are released??

Thats just to be on the safe side.Anything is possible.The EA spokesperson did say that frostbite 2 engine will have slightly lesser frames than frostbite 1.5.In any case I did feel that frostbite 1.5 was unoptimised.Call of duty modernwarefare 2 looked much better and ran better.bfbc2 ran shittier than crysis while looking bad
June 27, 2011 1:18:09 PM

I guess my 6850 will breeze thru it :)  BTW shouldn't the AMD/Ati equivalent for ultra settings be a 6850?
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2011 1:54:43 PM

crysis123 said:
I guess my 6850 will breeze thru it :)  BTW shouldn't the AMD/Ati equivalent for ultra settings be a 6850?

yeha well thats how requiremnets are.The witcher 2 recommended requirements are geforce gtx 260 or amd 4850 even when 260 is way more powerful
June 27, 2011 2:23:43 PM

The recommended system reqs look odd.

GFX: GeForce GTS 250

Last time I checked, that GPU is DX10.
a c 141 U Graphics card
June 27, 2011 2:32:56 PM

dragonic2020 said:

lol. both GTS250 and HD4830 doesn't have DX11.

btw i heard rumor before that this game was primarily build on DX10/11. so means people with win xp or still hanging onto their dx9 card can't play this game :p 
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2011 4:02:18 PM

dragonic2020 said:

Thats to max the game in dx 10.dx 11 will require gtx 460
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2011 8:44:55 PM

youngblood1017 said:
id say that youll be looking at the same graphics requirements of crysis 2. BF3 may be running frostbite but from what i can see its graphics arent quite as spectacular as crysis 2. but stop trying to look for the minimum system requirements because with the minimum system requirements wont get anybody satisfying gameplay or atleast not around here.

I don't know what footage you have seen, but I'm expecting a great looking game. Should look better than Crysis 2 and MW3 graphically, game play should be better as well :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5eLbPQt_Pk
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2011 8:47:34 PM

Can't remember, but when I was in the alpha t was a 2Ghz Core 2 Quad as the processor.
September 12, 2011 12:48:59 AM

That's weird, only a 460 is needed for Ultra graphics. I remember seeing a rig playing Crysis 2 that needed two such cards for Ultra/DX11 enabled.
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 1:25:38 AM

Just wait until the game comes out or a proper beta or demo releases and we can finally see what people will be running the game at max with. I highly doubt a 2.8 quad with a 460 will be able to max the game out on ultra, but that is just as credible as everyone elses assumptions of being able to run it on mid ranged systems
September 24, 2011 11:14:48 PM

sorry to bring bad new fellas, but now that specs are released we know this thread was off slightly......
gtx580 for recommended :o 
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2011 11:41:51 PM

^ yes sir, the 560 and 6950 is officially what is recommended. Will you need more than that to completely max it out? Only time will tell, and that depends on what monitor is being used.
!