CPUTIN at 120+ degrees celsius! PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A friend of mine bought an ASUS CM6870 (I think that's the name of it, if not, the name is similar) pre-built desktop just under a year ago.

Specs before upgrading:
- ASUS mid-ATX (a bit smaller) tower (two HDD bays, two optical drive bays.)
- ASUS motherboard (not sure what exact kind it is, but it's pretty generic/basic.)
- ASUS GT 520 OEM GDDR3 1GB dedicated graphics card.
- Generic no-name brand 350W PSU.
- 2TB Western Digital 7200 RPM internal HDD.
- 6GB DDR3 (not sure what brand or clock speed.)

Just upgraded the graphics card from the NVIDIA (ASUS brand) GT 520 1GB GDDR3 to an XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 card.

My friend also just upgraded the PSU from the generic brand 350W to an OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W modular PSU.

My and my friend have been monitoring the temperature of the desktop and the hardware with HWMonitor all day, and none of the components got really super hot (except the graphics card when gaming hardcore, but that's to be expected since there's little breathing room in the chassis)

The all of a sudden, me and my friend notice HWMonitor trying to warn us of something. It told us that the Systin and SystemCPU temperatures were over 100 degrees celsius. In fact, when we finally noticed it, the temperature was at 120 degrees celsius.

The motherboard is the same, the HDD, RAM, and everything else are the same, except for the PSU and the graphics card.

WHAT IS CPUTIN, AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN IT SAYS IT'S OVER 100 DEGREES CELSIUS?!?!

IS HWMONITOR NOT WORKING PROPERLY?????

Solution
It means that HWMonitor doesn't properly support the sensor chip on your motherboard.

HWMonitor PRO suffers from the same problem.

Don't rely on just one utility. I've used other utilities that confirm that HWMonitor is just wrong.

I'm looking at HWMonitor PRO right now and it's reporting that the maximum speed of my CPU cooling fan reached 49,663 RPM. That's just absurd. The fan would have self-destructed if it could even reach that speed. It shows that my CPUTIN reached a maximum of 127°C when I know that it never went higher than 39°C.
It means that HWMonitor doesn't properly support the sensor chip on your motherboard.

HWMonitor PRO suffers from the same problem.

Don't rely on just one utility. I've used other utilities that confirm that HWMonitor is just wrong.

I'm looking at HWMonitor PRO right now and it's reporting that the maximum speed of my CPU cooling fan reached 49,663 RPM. That's just absurd. The fan would have self-destructed if it could even reach that speed. It shows that my CPUTIN reached a maximum of 127°C when I know that it never went higher than 39°C.

Solution
G

Okay, thanks a lot for clarifying that. It was freaking both me and my friend out last night, because he actually DOES need a new case (just too small of a case to house the components he has) so we thought that it was just ANOTHER thing starting to go wrong. The CPU core temperatures never got that hot. In fact, I don't think the CPU core temperatures went higher than about 60 degrees celsius, so it makes sense that it would be a mistake made by the program.

Another question. Is it true that computers will automatically shut down if they reach a certain temperature?

The CPU has built-in thermal protection and will throttle its speed back, if necessary, to prevent damage.

G

I'm not intentionally spamming the forums. I'm making sure that I get as many answers as possible.

If you're not going to give me any sort of suggestion as to what my problem could be, then stop writing in my thread. You're wasting my time, and your own time.

most times with hot temps after and upgrade.you may have pulled the fan plug out for the cpu fan or a wire from the new gpu is stuck in your fan. your best bet is to open the case after the cpu cools off and turn the pc on and see if the fan spins up. (most time with older pc the fan berrings fails...fan wont stop but it be spinning real slow. or you knocked the cpu heat sink off of the cpu.

Cause your time is more important than anyone elses here. Idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.