I5 2500k shortages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anowis213

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I have been trying to price out a new computer system over the course of the last week or so and have noticed vendors running out of i5 2500k cpus. Newegg, NCIX, Tiger Direct, all gone. On the Amazon list the price has been continually going up $230(USD) and rising. Is this because of the Thailand flood? Luckily I have a spare 1TB 7200rpm drive I was planing to use on this build so I wasn't going to get gouged by the HD prices, but is it now effecting cpus as well? This is really turning out to be a bad time to build a new system.

Solution
The Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is our most popular processor in the enthusiast space. After checking inventory at our distributors, I can say that they in short supply for Canada but some still in the United States. While some of the shortage that you are seeing is due to effects of Black Friday Sales. There is no problem on the manufacturing end (floods, earthquakes, etc.) with the Intel Core i5-2500K. The demand for these processors is extremely high for the holidays but we are working to deal with the shortages as quickly as possible. So while you may see some reseller running out of stock it will be a short term issue of waiting for them to get some more in stock in the near future.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

anowis213

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
yea, I have been looking into alternative second gen i5s. It's just the 2500k looked like it had so much potential. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a reason for the sudden lack of supply or had any word as to when this might pass? I could hold off a few weeks, but I'd really like to have my new computer up and running for the holiday break from school.

The Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is our most popular processor in the enthusiast space. After checking inventory at our distributors, I can say that they in short supply for Canada but some still in the United States. While some of the shortage that you are seeing is due to effects of Black Friday Sales. There is no problem on the manufacturing end (floods, earthquakes, etc.) with the Intel Core i5-2500K. The demand for these processors is extremely high for the holidays but we are working to deal with the shortages as quickly as possible. So while you may see some reseller running out of stock it will be a short term issue of waiting for them to get some more in stock in the near future.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.