ASUS P8Z77-V PRO's included driver disc

I would say that what you are hearing is uninformed opinion. You can install only what yo choose to install. The disc contains drivers and utilities specific to your hardware. The drivers should be installed unless you choose to download later versions from the manufacturers web site (recommended).

However, there are also other things on that disc which are not downloadable because you may have paid a license fee for them. Some of the overclocking and update utilities, BIOS update utilities, etc. fall into this category as do audio software for the on board sound package. You'll find CD key or serial number on the disk sleeve for these. The more "higher end" ya bpard, the more likely you are to find these.

I would strongly advise limiting Windows involvement to driver installs to the absolute minimum. Since it is the hardware manufacturer who is going to support any hardware problems, best be using their drivers.

Chipset and LAN at a minimum.

If you don't have a LAN connection then Windows Update isn't going to happen.

I always go to Intel's website to get the latest drivers for the Intel chipset, LAN and SATA Controller.

Ghoulz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Is that the same thing as the drivers from the motherboard's page? I have no idea what I'm looking for at Intel's site.

Yes. Just choose an Intel motherboard that is using the same chipset as the motherboard that you have and you should be able to get a list of the most current drivers for the Operating system that you are intending to use.

These Intel drivers will be more recent than the Intel drivers listed on ASUS' website.

Ghoulz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

I see no Z77. I don't even see motherboards for an option, just chipsets. I'll just stick to ASUS's page.

Still... is it easy to remove the bloatware from the disc?

Ghoulz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

At least, get the/////Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® Desktop Boards/////and
LAN: Intel® PRO Network Connections LAN Driver for Windows 7*?

Yes.

You can also download any of the other drivers from the list, that you may need, if it's applicable to your motherboard.

Ghoulz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
If the chipset controls the USB stuff, then what is the USB 3.0: Intel USB 3.0 Driver for? And what is the Rapid Start exactly?

Also, would any of the features included in the driver disc benefit gaming?

There is no native USB 3.0 driver support in Windows 7 so you have to install the ASMedia USB 3.0 controller driver and Intel Z77 chipset USB 3.0 controller driver to support them if you want to use them.

Intel Rapid Start creates a hidden partition on a hard disk drive or an SSD (recommended) where system data can be saved when the system goes into standby or sleep mode without losing any data if there is a power loss. When the system is awaken Windows should resume quickly right from where you left off when the system entered sleep state.

There may be some overclocking utility on the CD that you may use but only you can determine if you're going to use it or not. I prefer to do my overclocking manually.

Ghoulz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Know anything about LucidLogix Virtu MVP? Probably more of a nuisance than a help though.

Though the driver disc says you can just click to choose what to install, but people in comments complain it's an Install All only.

I don't use LucidLogix Virtu MVP because there is no benefit in using it. You may even incur a slight frame rate performance drop when using it during gaming.