New Intel Z77 Motherboard

Borochadwicsays

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I need some help guys, please. I need a Sherlock Holmes type to help me with my new motherboard installation problems.

I have been having so much trouble with my new build. Today I bought a i5-3570k to OC, and I got the DZ77BH-55K board, optimized for K processors. It is the perfect board. It has tons of space between PCI-e for SLI, it supports SLI for my GTX 670 when I want to upgrade, and it supports my new CPU. Fitting my cooler to it was next to impossible. I think that the new motherboard has slightly different holes than the supposed LGA 1150 that my cooler fits.

Anyways, I've been having a major problem. I finally got this thing to overclock in the manner that I wanted, running a 4.4 up from 3.4 at about 55C max long term load. But the RAM has been a NIGHTMARE. I'm hoping somebody here, out of all of you who have had trouble with your boards, will take sympathy on me and help me figure this out.

Here's the deal. I've been running my Crucial Ballistix 4GBx2 RAM at 1333 mhz, 9-9-9-24-1T for a while, a few months, with no problem. I also used 2 Micron Technology 2 GB RAM at 1333 and the same timings. I had a Gigabyte board and an AMD CPU.

Today, when I finished my build and tried to boot, I got three beeps. This means a memory error. I tried every configuration possible, and finally it worked, but only when I got down to one stick of Crucial RAM in my third slot, the first slot of my second channel.

I powered it on, and installed all the drivers and the new BIOS, and hoped it would fix my issues. But it didn't. After reading online, I found some ideas. In BIOS, I upped my RAM voltage to 1.65, and now I can run both my sticks of Crucial memory at the same time, both in channel B. So I'm single channel 8GB right now, and my RAM is actually rated faster than it was with the Micron.

The Microns maybe, didn't run at the timings I thought they were? Or else my RAM rating wouldn't have been dragged down by them. I am afraid to try to add my Micron RAM to see if it works. Why would it run now, when I already tried the same thing earlier, you know? I think this MOBO is crazy picky.

Does anybody have suggestions about what I should do? Why my RAM slots aren't working correctly unless I over-voltage them?

I hope that