Which power supply will power my 580-sli system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
hello, i have been looking into calculating what power supply will best match my system. however, some figures are not quite adding up, especially with gfx card power consumption. to calculate wattage, (amps X volts, right?) a gtx 580 pulls a voltage of .95V (i cant remember exactly, i do not have my notes) and assuming max wattage draw to be about 250-300w, this equals over 300 amps for a single card? something doesnt seem right here. even high end PS's cant hold that, let alone sli'ing plus cpu, mobo, etc. can anybody supply a 'wattage for dumbies' and confirm that this psu will work? i have used wattage calculators, but i would like to confirm it for myself and have another thumbs up from somebody more experienced.

i am starting out with a more basic version, but plan to slowly upgrade by adding another gfx card or two, sound card, SDD, etc. this is something similar to my final version, i want to confirm that my psu will support the final version. thanks!

intel core i7 2700K cpu
asus maximus IV extreme-z mobo
g.skillz ripjaws series x 4x4 ram
evermax maxrevo 1350w psu
geforce gfx 580 (tri-sli)
WD 7,200 RPM hard drive (x2)
corsair force series GT 180gb SDD
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD sound card
liquid cooling sys.
a few fans, a cold cathode or 2

let me know if i need to provide more detail or links.

Solution
When Guru3D did their GeForce GTX 580 3-way SLI review they measured a power consumption for just the three graphics cards under full stress to be 736 Watts. When they ran FurMark the power consumption of just the cards jumped to above 900 Watts.

The graphics cards obtain all of their power from the +12 Volt rails. There is a power VRM circuit on each graphics card that converts the +12 Volts down to the voltage required by the GPU (I thought it was something like 1.05V when running a 3D app and 0.98V when idle or running in 2D).

A realistic current draw, for each GTX 580, is 20 Amps from the +12 Volt rail(s) for a total of 60 Amps for all three graphics cards at full load.

If you were to run FurMark GPU stress testing the current...
When Guru3D did their GeForce GTX 580 3-way SLI review they measured a power consumption for just the three graphics cards under full stress to be 736 Watts. When they ran FurMark the power consumption of just the cards jumped to above 900 Watts.

The graphics cards obtain all of their power from the +12 Volt rails. There is a power VRM circuit on each graphics card that converts the +12 Volts down to the voltage required by the GPU (I thought it was something like 1.05V when running a 3D app and 0.98V when idle or running in 2D).

A realistic current draw, for each GTX 580, is 20 Amps from the +12 Volt rail(s) for a total of 60 Amps for all three graphics cards at full load.

If you were to run FurMark GPU stress testing the current draw may jump up to 28 Amps for each GTX 580 for a total of 84 Amps for all three graphics cards at full load.

The ENERMAX MAXREVO 1350W (EMR1350EWT), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 112 Amps, is more than sufficient to power your system with all of the components you've listed.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.