Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading pc and hand me down to another, which should get what?

Last response: in Systems
August 29, 2011 11:01:21 PM

Ok Im having a dillema. I have 2 computers, 1 is just for gaming and the other is for everything else. I am going to buy a sandy bridge core i5 2500 and 4gb of ddr3 1600, motherboard and powersupply. I just want to put the new stuff in the pc that will maximize its use.

Im trying to decide do I put the new cpu in the game machine and then put the game machines stuff in the other pc? Or do I put the new stuff in the 2nd machine and be done with it? Im hoping this makes sense.

Computer 1 - Gaming computer.

Intel core i7 860 2.8ghz.
4gb ddr3 1600 memory.

Computer 2 - 2nd pc which I just surf, download, watch movies and so on nothing like hardcore editing or anything.

Intel core 2 duo quad q93000
4gb ddr memory.

So which would you put the new sandy bridge in?

More about : upgrading hand

a b B Homebuilt system
August 29, 2011 11:47:33 PM

If you are going to buy all these parts, include a case, a Graphics card, DVD drive, and you have yourself a brand new third computer. You will need an OS in any event.

No point in trying to sell the old stuff because of low offers.
m
l
August 30, 2011 12:09:17 AM

Ubrales said:
If you are going to buy all these parts, include a case, a Graphics card, DVD drive, and you have yourself a brand new third computer. You will need an OS in any event.

No point in trying to sell the old stuff because of low offers.

No offense but I havent slightest idea what in the hell your talking about.

I dont want a 3rd computer.
I have video cards, cases, dvd drives in the computers already I am keeping.
I dont need another OS because I have them for the 2 pc's I have already.

All Im doing is upgrading cpu, ram and motherboard and wondering which would help me the best. To swap them out for what in my 2nd pc or put new stuff in my game pc and then put those parts I upgraded into my 2nd one.
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2011 12:39:13 AM

I would have the new stuff in the gamer right off. BUT.....

What kind of video card(s) do you have in each system. I'd consider buying new graphics cards (SLI or Crossfire setup) for the gaming rig--the i7-860 would be enough with high-end cards like AMD 6870s or higher OR Nvidia 570s or higher. Add more RAM and run Win7 OS.

We need more info about the system, especially GPUs.

I see Ubrales point, once you start with the new CPU/mobo combo, you're going to want the other upgrades too, like an SSD drive, high-end GPUs (essential to gaming quality), and more. I think that is why he said what he did.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2011 12:42:54 AM

Besides, unless the OS is a 'retail' version, it is not transferable to the new motherboard. Microsoft may be gracious enough to authorize the installation but legally they do not have to do this.
m
l
August 30, 2011 6:32:43 PM

Not having windows 7? Not having a cdkey for it I can reuse? A SSD drive? My video cards? Building a new pc? SLI video cards? Buying a new OS?

Who the hell said anything about any of that stuff? I asked a simple question. Just forget I asked at all.
m
l
!