Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please help me with RAM Memory

Last response: in Motherboards
September 3, 2012 2:22:51 PM

Hello, Everyone

I just bought two modules of RAM: Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX, to replace a single 2GB module I have now and update Windows 7 64 bit.

the problem is that when you install the modules in dual channels and make sure they are secure, and start the pc nothing appears on the screen, the screen goes black. when attempting to change modules ports or put one at a time remains the same, when new modules replacement for the old one KVR 1333 and works again windows.64 bits (which I installed a day before receiving my memories)

I do not want to lose the investment I made in these memories, so I want to know if there is anything I should move in the bios before putting the new modules to the previous works with 1.5 volt memory and new with 1.65 not know if this has to view on something. My board is an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO, supposedly compatible with these memories.

in the manual of the mother appears: ddr-1600 (OC) MHz Capabilty, (is that OC will have something to do?

I am very grateful to anyone who can help me.

More about : ram memory

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 3:05:11 PM

Less power is better than more and less configuration headaches are better than more.

I would call and ask the maker if they can exchange it for something similar instead, like CT2KIT51264BD1339.

If you were able to make this trade, you would have no configuration headaches, better RAM voltages, and it would perform pretty much the same as far as you would be able to tell.

If you are able to get into the BIOS without the screen going black on you, you could alternatively try to play around with the RAM settings. Not sure how the board will do working with XMP profiles, but that would probably be the easiest thing to try and change. If would probably be easier to get the RAM to work at 1333 than get the rest of the stuff to work at 1600.

If you need more than that, you would probably be better off taking the question to the OCing section.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 257 V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 3:24:53 PM

I suspect your ram may be incompatible.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 8:17:56 PM

Hi Alex and welome to Tom's Hardare!

When you try your new 2 sticks of RAM, put them in slots B1 and B2 (in the instruction book). That's one stick in channel A and one in channel B. Can't put the next to each other as your MB has dual channel memory.

The other thing is there are several restrictions as to the RAM chip modules this board requires. As you look in your manual, and on the ASUS website, your new RAM is not on the QVL for this board. If you have no luck getting it to post, you should return them and get RAM you know is compatable with your MB, as per the ASUS QVL list.

I agree with Geofelt, it's not worth the hastle trying to get incompatable RAM to even function.
m
l
September 3, 2012 9:07:29 PM

Best answer selected by Alextg.
m
l
September 3, 2012 9:10:12 PM

hello
thanks everyone
finally i solved this issue with your help of course, i updated the bios and now the system recognise the modules, im so happy

thanks a lot
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 10:23:34 PM

Alex,

Glad to hear you got it working!! You always learn something solving a problem, and there's no better feeling than knowing you did it yourself.
Besides that, you will see a big jump in computer performance going from 1GB to 4 GB of RAM.
m
l
September 3, 2012 10:36:07 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Alex,

Glad to hear you got it working!! You always learn something solving a problem, and there's no better feeling than knowing you did it yourself.
Besides that, you will see a big jump in computer performance going from 1GB to 4 GB of RAM.

is very reassuring, not having to go through change processes and complaints to the seller, and of course it is very gratifying to learn new things and so useful, fortunately there is the network to communicate and share knowledge.

thanks a lot
m
l
!