Tags:
  • Asus
  • Cooling
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
September 3, 2012 4:32:09 PM

I am building a new system and the only thing I have left to buy is my CPU cooler. After years of doing air cooling I thought I would try one of these closed-loop systems and a friend of mine has the Kuhler running for over a year with no problems. One of the things that concerns me however is the fact that the water block which is what connects to the motherboard to control fan speed is a 3-pin and the cpu fan headers are 4-pin. I have read on several forums that I won't be able to let Fan Expert 2 automatically control the CPU fan speed because of this. People who used the 3 to 4 pin adapters reported they could only monitor the fan speed, not control it.

The whole point of me going with the liquid cooling was to reduce noise level running my 3770K and keep it cool, but if the fans are always going to run at 100% I may have to stick with air. Any advice - especially from anyone here already using this combination would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks

More about : antec kuhler p8z77

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 5:24:42 PM

It depends on which version of Antec Kühler you're looking at, the 920 connects to a USB header for software control but the 620 essentially has no control.

Personally, I would recommend the Corsair H100 or H80 where you'll have better cooling and fan control like you mentioned. The Antec Kühler 620 isn't a good option nor does it offer better cooling in comparison to a CM Hyper 212 Plus/EVO.

My preference is the H100 but you'll need a case that supports a 120x240 radiator and fans.
m
l
September 3, 2012 6:42:26 PM

I have the Kuhler. It works really well for me as far as temperatures go, but I honestly have never tried an aftermarket air cooler, I always figured why not spend a little more for liquid. I use the 620, and no, I have no real control over the fan unfortunately. But I actually needed more than the 100%. I used another 19 db/A 120 MM fan as a pull fan on the other side of the radiator that runs at 2000 RPM, a really nice one, and it makes my cooling much better.

I like the Kuhler. But it doesn't fit all motherboards that it should. I had a really hard time with mounting it on my new D77 Intel board.
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2012 9:53:02 PM

Ok thanks for the responses. I am using a Corsair 600T Graphite case. I looked at the Corsair H70 and H80 but lots of people on Newegg had to RMA because of bad pumps...I didn't see this with most of the Antek Kuhler reviews. I have considered the Kuhler 920 as well. I the only problem might be that I will need some extra long screws for the 920 to get the rear fan mounted to the back of my case and the back of the radiator.

My case comes with a fan controller....maybe I can use that for the CPU fan?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 11:35:21 PM

They're ALL manufactured by the same company Asetek, but the Corsair H80/H100 has a connection to the CPU Fan Header for fan speed control and the pump is connected to a 4-pin Molex. The fan controller on the 600T is useless and has poor fan control, connect the 2 fans to the Corsair's pump/controller it works fine.

If you're getting the 600T then get the H100 -- it fits.

Reviews 500R vs 500R notice the differences in the reviews -- they're the same damn case and the only difference is the color; see - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

If you get the 600T then order yourself one of these 20-pin Y adapters, last I look the 600T only has USB 3.0 pass through's; HDE 20 Pin Y Cable adapter - http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Port-USB-Female-Cable/dp/B006...
m
l
September 4, 2012 12:14:40 AM

jaquith said:
They're ALL manufactured by the same company Asetek, but the Corsair H80/H100 has a connection to the CPU Fan Header for fan speed control and the pump is connected to a 4-pin Molex. The fan controller on the 600T is useless and has poor fan control, connect the 2 fans to the Corsair's pump/controller it works fine.

If you're getting the 600T then get the H100 -- it fits.

Thanks for your response. I have looked at both and while either one would fit my case, from what I can tell I am limited to three speed settings which must be selected by physically pushing a button on the water block. Are you using the H100? How were the stock fans noise levels? Which speed profile do you use the most and is it noticeably loud?

I want good cooling but at the same time not looking for a weed eater as far as noise levels.

m
l

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 1:14:42 AM

Look at what I already wrote above and yes one of my PC's has an H100; see -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/David...

Quote:
Corsair H80/H100 has a connection to the CPU Fan Header for fan speed control and the pump is connected to a 4-pin Molex.

On either the Corsair H80 or H100 the the fans are thermostatically controlled by the CPU temperature.
September 4, 2012 11:46:42 AM

jaquith said:
Look at what I already wrote above and yes one of my PC's has an H100; see -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/David...

Quote:
Corsair H80/H100 has a connection to the CPU Fan Header for fan speed control and the pump is connected to a 4-pin Molex.

On either the Corsair H80 or H100 the the fans are thermostatically controlled by the CPU temperature.

Thats a nice clean setup. Hard to tell from the angle but are you running two 120MM fans or four on that H100 ? I'm assuming you are pulling air in from the outside at the top of the case.

Everything else in my build is Corsair, so why not the water cooler!
m
l
September 4, 2012 12:02:47 PM

Best answer selected by turboshine.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 1:35:35 PM

turboshine said:
Thats a nice clean setup. Hard to tell from the angle but are you running two 120MM fans or four on that H100 ? I'm assuming you are pulling air in from the outside at the top of the case.

Everything else in my build is Corsair, so why not the water cooler!

I'm using (2) two fans blowing out the top of the case, the 2x120 fans are on the bottom and the radiator in the top which also helps 'muffle' the fan noise. I'm using a Corsair 500R case and there's plenty of cool air coming into the case.

Air flow: Front/Bottom/Side (IN) and Top/Rear (OUT).
m
l
September 4, 2012 1:53:01 PM

jaquith said:
I'm using (2) two fans blowing out the top of the case, the 2x120 fans are on the bottom and the radiator in the top which also helps 'muffle' the fan noise. I'm using a Corsair 500R case and there's plenty of cool air coming into the case.

Air flow: Front/Bottom/Side (IN) and Top/Rear (OUT).

Thanks again....your advice has been very helpful. I admit I am concerned over all the people that got the defective or humming pumps on the H80 and 100's. It looks like the culprit in many cases was the PSU rated at more than 12.2V on the 12V rail...I am going with a Corsair HX650 and looks like 12.18V max on the 12V so I am hoping I won't have this problem too.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 2:10:39 PM

I know many people with the H100 and about the only problem that I've seen is noise from air bubbles and the simplest fix is to put the case on its side and 'flick' the head unit a few times until bubbles move away. Worst case, Corsair is a great company to deal with and they'll cross-ship you a new unit (you have to give them a credit card for this 2~3 day service).

Maybe in the next life there will be perfection.
m
l
!