New video card

Hoodstomp

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hello, I am looking to buy a new video card soon. I want to be able to play ToR and Dota 2 at high settings when it comes out. My CPU = Intel(R) core (TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz. What would be the best card to get without bottlenecking? Thank you.

Im just in the UK and they arebetter value here and I don't always remember which Nvidia ones are similar. My advise is only my opinion and others are free to tell theres.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Really??? What makes you think he does not? He recommended a card if you think Nvida also has an option why wouldn't you just recommend he look at that card instead of asking that question?

Hoodstomp

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
The rumor that Nvidia pays gaming companies to make sure their cards perform better. :D

My budget is around 200-300$

My PSU is PS-303-103 KINGWIN 700 WATT POWER SUPPLY 1 8.00 8.00

Supermuncher85

Distinguished

It was a valid question and he turned out to be right.

Unlike you I looked at the forum that was being posted in (Forum > Graphics & Displays > Nvidia > New video card), have you guessed what gave it away?

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

My basic point was that you could have taken the high road and just recommended a card thats all. Not that you were wrong and he does not want one.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
I dont think it can handle SLI (dunno how many amps on the 12v rails.).
Now, id be thinking of getting 560 ti. You have 2 options here: reference card and later mayb buy a aftermarket cooler (most expensive but best option), or a decent brand, but you probably wont be able to change the cooler.
Now, if u are planning to upgrade your computer, a 6950 2 gb might be the better option, assuming you can afford it (775 socket cpus have a huge problem with physx games, but nvidia gpus can take care of that problem, thats what eventually convinced me to go nvidia).
I have 560 Ti paired with a q6600 at 3GHz wich i guess performes close to your dual core, and im happy with the results, but im assuming that in the next year if i dont go new mobo/cpu/RAM/GPU or SLI, i wont game everything 1900x1080p very high.
Hope this answers your question.

For an nVidia card I say the 560/560Ti and on the AMD side a 6870 or 6950. I wouldn't trust anything more to that PSU -_- and getting anything more powerful is a bit pointless. The E8400 is a good overclocker so you may want to overclock it to limit the bottleneck you would face with such a powerful card and a dual core CPU. You can get around 4.0Ghz with a good air cooler and a decent motherboard.