Onboard audio vs. sound card?

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Audio
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 29, 2011 3:47:15 AM

Not very good in the audio department :p 

I'm going to be getting this headset, which uses 7.1 surround sound. (http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en in case you wanted to know for some reason)

I am pretty sure my ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo can handle it, it's onboard audio is VIA® VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC .

Will I be fine or will I need to get a sound card? Will it even make much a difference?

My motherboard: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A79XTD_EVO/

More about : onboard audio sound card

Best solution

November 29, 2011 4:04:14 AM

at a gaming and general audio level you would not notice the difference.

its only as you get up into the profesional realm where it makes a difference.
It used to be by getting a sound card you could save the CPU from doing a heap of work but with CPU's now so powerfull you wont see a difference.
November 29, 2011 4:23:12 AM

Hugo is right. First, motherboard sound has come a long way with HDA. Second, with all the multi-core CPU's, the CPU utilization rates involved really do not matter as much as they did in the single core days.
Score
November 29, 2011 9:26:28 AM

Soundcards offer several advantages, ranging from better signal quality, to a (significantly) better Dynamic Range, not to mention other audio enhancments that onboard audio does not offer [Virtual Headphone/Speaker, etc].

Anyone who says soundcards don't make a difference is deaf. To me, not using a soundcard is like playing a game with 0x AA. Its an enhancement, not a necessity. [Yet some people here would glady pay upwards of $500 to move AA up one more notch...]
Score
November 29, 2011 5:39:38 PM

^+1 i agree even a cheap soundcard like an Asus DG provides better overall sound quality compared to onboard.
Score
December 6, 2011 11:23:05 PM

Best answer selected by oboloz.
Score
!