Sign in with
Your question

Will an ASUS motherboard fit in a Dell Optiplex GX24080 Case?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 3, 2012 5:46:24 PM

I have a 2002 Dell Optiplex GX240. Is there a way to remove the actual system board from the metal tray so as to replace the motherboard with an ASUS motherboard my friend sent me? I have the metal tray out of the PC already but it looks like one unit. It looks as though the board itself can be removed though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

a c 145 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 3, 2012 5:53:16 PM

Dell is known for using their own formfactor which means that the answer is usually -- but not always -- 'no'. They've gotten a lot better at using industry standards in the past few years but I still wouldn't put my money on it.

If you have the motherboard already, there's no harm in trying
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 6:31:33 PM

DELL cases have generally bad airflow and cooling characteristics anyway.

Corporations with Gold level warranty support and direct access to people that can make stuff happen usually don't mind so much, but I wouldn't suggest trusting your parts to them if you can help it.

A Cooler Master Elite 430 case is what I would say you should be looking at as a bare minimum. More like a HAF 912 or Antec 302 if you can.

A small outlay of like $40 - $60 on a good case literally doubles the life expectancy of all your other parts.
Related resources
September 3, 2012 6:50:36 PM

Pinhedd said:
Dell is known for using their own formfactor which means that the answer is usually -- but not always -- 'no'. They've gotten a lot better at using industry standards in the past few years but I still wouldn't put my money on it.

If you have the motherboard already, there's no harm in trying

Thanks for your info. I don't think it's going to work though. I can't get the system board to detach from the metal tray. It looks like there are sliding mechanisms on it but I can't get anything to move without fear of maybe breaking the existing board. I was just wanting to rebuild it with different parts, hard drive ( the old one is growling and the processor is a slow one. It is an experience project for me so there is no time crunch to meet. Thanks for your help again.
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 6:54:11 PM

DELL techs can get the motherboard off there pretty easily, but they have been trained how to do it. DELL doesn't train end users on that stuff because they don't really want end users to be doing it.

It should be doable if you just figure out how. I doubt the new one will fit in the tray, though.

BTW, the hard drive is probably only growling because its in a bad DELL case.
a c 145 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 3, 2012 6:54:30 PM

Knightrider7 said:
Thanks for your info. I don't think it's going to work though. I can't get the system board to detach from the metal tray. It looks like there are sliding mechanisms on it but I can't get anything to move without fear of maybe breaking the existing board. I was just wanting to rebuild it with different parts, hard drive ( the old one is growling and the processor is a slow one. It is an experience project for me so there is no time crunch to meet. Thanks for your help again.

Just grab a cheap $50 case and a decent 500 watt power supply. The ones that come with the Dell Optiplex systems are weak
!