First Gaming Rig

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
EDIT: Sorry forgot to add this part Dx

Approximate Purchase Date: November

Budget Range: 1.5k - 1.6k

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing net, Watching 1080p movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I get all the parts from Mercadolibre.com.mx since im in Mexico :sweat:

Country of Origin: Mexico

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia, Cooler Master

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 (for now)

Additional Comments: Noise is not much a of a problem but i dont want it to be noisy like a hairdryer

Well I got the parts im gonna order so far, it's gonna be intended for gaming mostly, So far im trying to decide what CPU Cooler i need Since im gonna be overclocking to 4.5ghz on a i7 2600k, Nothing extreme like 5ghz and so on.

So im just wondering if an AIR cooler is enough or should i just get watercooling

Thinking about the Noctua NH-D14 (Air) or the Corsair H80 Liquid Cooling

My Budget is 1.5k at max maybe 1.6k, Here's the Specs:

Intel Core i7-2600k
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SLI
Cooler Master GX-750W PSU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case
Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
LG DVD-RW 22x Sata (Dont know exact model number)

So im only missing the CPU cooler, Let me know your opinions.

Thanks.

The Noctua D14 or C14 would be great choices, just check for clearance issues as I don't think CPU coolers get much bigger.

You may wish to take a look at www.frostytech.com to see if something else appeals.

I'd say the build looks pretty good. I'd get the Samsung F3 1TB instead.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
460's in SLI doesn't seem too much of a smart move. Your really limiting potential future upgrades. Surely your better off using the money from SLI 460's to buy the best single card affordable? 560Ti or 570 maybe? This will give you, more than likely, comparable performance and allow for a second card to be easily added if you ever need to.

Its also my understanding Cooler Master PSU's have a rather big question mark over their name? Recommended PSU brands usually follow something like: Corsair, OCZ, Antec, XFX, SeaSonic - to name a few.

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Well, I don't have many options here in mexico, The only PSU alternatives i could find was (Also found a Corsair HX 1000W but that gets out of my budget range sadly)

this Silent Pro M850 from Cooler Master
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6627

And

Enthusiast Series™ TX750 V2 from Corsair
http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/enthusiast-series/enthusiast-series-tx750-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-750-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

About the Video cards, you gave me a lot to think about now, If i should go with a Single GTX 560 Ti (Since its a bit more expensive than a single GTX 460) or just stay 2x GTX 460

But from what i seen, 2x GTX 460 outperforms most single cards and its on par with a single GTX 580 while being more affordable.

Thanks for the comments by the way.

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I plan on overclocking the GTX 460's if i do get them in end.

(The forum didn't let me edit my last message sorry.)

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Your right about SLI 460's being great performers, im just making sure you realise your limiting your options in a few months/year down the line.

If you had a single GTX 560Ti now for example, you could play all current games on high settings with a good FPS, as you could with SLI 460's, but then if a game comes out in 3/6/9 months time and the 460's cant max it out, the only option you have is to buy a whole new set of cards.

Where-as if you bought a single 560Ti now, you could add another later on. And SLI 560Ti's are obviously going to out-perform SLI 460's.

Note: 750w PSU would be enough for SLI 460's or 560's and i7-2600k build + overclocking.

Forgot to say before, other than the GPU issue mentioned, you've got a really solid build there.

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Well, you have a point, and i made a decision.

So i'm going with a single GTX 560 Ti for now and later add another one for SLi.

Also changing the PSU with the Corsair TX750 one

The Samsung F3 Spinpoint seems to be Unavailable anywhere i search, So i will stick with the Seagate one for now Unless i find the F3 somewhere since i got plenty of time before i put this build together.

Intel Core i7-2600k
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
Corsair Enthusiast Series™ TX750 V2
LG DVD-RW 22x Sata

The only missing part in the build is the CPU Cooler, I might just take the CM Hyper 212 Plus or the Noctua NH-D14

Forgot to say before, other than the GPU issue mentioned, you've got a really solid build there.

Thanks! It's my first time building a PC so i'm trying to do it right.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I've also noticed, if this build is primarily for gaming, the i5-2500k performs at the same level as the i7-2600k and you can save yourself alot of money by buying the i5.

Taking this into consideration you could then leave yourself enough money to once again improve that GPU and jump for a 6970 or GTX 570 (bear in mind 850w PSU would be recommended to crossfire/SLI though).

In the same instance, buying the Hyper 212+ over the Noctua would save you enough to easily upgrade to a good 850w PSU

Something more like:
Intel Core i5-2500k
GTX 570
Corsair/XFX/SeaSonic/Antec/OCZ 850w PSU
LG DVD-RW 22x Sata
Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler

----

The above would give better gaming performance at a similar price

If they are the same price get the 850M The silent pro's are great power supplies. Most of the time TX750's are overpriced and the Silent Pros are on sale which give it a better deal. Since they are modular and actually quite silent. (I have a 700w myself)

Do you have a M700? What is the price of that?

You don't need the i7 2600K. An i5 2500K performs at 98% of the 2600K in gaming which is the only real thing that you require the CPU for. In things like Video editing it may matter A LITTLE but even then, not enough to justify the price hike.

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Yeah, The CM Silent Pro 850w is actually a bit cheaper than the Corsair 750w TX, Silent Pro 700w is way more cheaper than both of them tho.

Also i'm gonna stick with the i7-2600k because i might be working with Photoshop and video rendering occasionally

and since i'm not going to make a whole new pc for awhile and the price difference between the 2600k and 2500k doesn't hurt at all, might as well keep it.

CPU Cooler is gonna be CM Hyper 212+

Having doubts about the PSU :sweat:

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Well now im just deciding between what processor i should get, if just the 2500k or just the 2600k cause its nice to have,

I'm more at the side of the i5-2500k at the moment and might just stay with it, here's the final build for now

Intel Core i5-2500k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti 1GB (Getting the second one later for SLi)
Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case (Ordered this case today)
LG DVD-RW 22x Sata

Thanks everyone.