Trouble getting display to function properly

MisterMe11

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I put together a PC based on
MSI Z68MA-ED55 motherboard
core i7-2600k
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I have a Dell U2711 monitor which I want to run as a single monitor at full resolution of 2560 by 1440. The Intel HD graphics 3000 in the i7-2600k should be able to do this. I have run the monitor at that resolution in an old PC using a low-end ATI card that was $50 two years ago.

I built the new system and temporarily tested it using a Samsung 2243BW connected using the VGA port and running at its optiimal resolution of 1680 by 1050.

When I disconnect the Samsung, and connect the Dell U2711 using the DVI port (should be dual DVI on this MB, as it is on the ATI card in the old PC), I get no image on the screen. However, if I connect both the Samsung and the Dell simultaneously and reboot, I get a dual monitor set-up except that when I try to set the resolution on the Dell it tells me the optimum resolution is 1680 by 1050 and doesn't show any higher resolution modes. I tried setting the Dell as the primary display, shutting down, disconnecting the Samsung, and restarting and I get a blank screen on the Dell and it immediately goes into power-saving mode.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this?
A couple other notes:
- I have the most recent Intel HD graphics driver
- I downloaded the U2711 driver from Dell, which it unzips to path 'C:\DELL\drivers\R247058\WHQL final file'
- It says to run the setup from this location but there was no setup file. I used device manager to load the INF file from this location (there was no .SYS file in the Dell drive zip file, but the Samsung runs on monitor.sys,, and the Dell does on my old PC)
- when I open the INF file, it presents a choice of Dell U2711(analog),Dell U2711(digital),Dell U2711(DP),Dell U2711(HDMI). I assumed 'digital' is the one I want because I'm using DVI not HDMI and I guess DP is DisplayPort

popatim

Titan
You're Dell's single monitor resolution is beyond that supported by a single link DVI and since your motherboard manual makes no mention of having dual link DVI I think you'll need to purchase a new video card or reuse the old one that worked.

MisterMe11

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Thank you. I see that there is no reference in the manual as you said. However, the connector on the motherboard has the full set of dual-link pins - so I assumed (wrongly?) that it would have the capability
If the link is single it also doesn't explain why I get a blank screen when booting only with the u2711 (it should still work at lower resolution, right?)

I read another forum post from someone with an Asus motherboad (mine is MSI) and a similar issue. In his case, he had to disable HDMI output in the BIOS to get dual link DVI capability!

MisterMe11

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Thanks. It says it is applicable to the VGA port only, though. I don't think I can get full resolution through VGA.